Force Powers

More
4 years 5 months ago #346221 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Force Powers

Dakini wrote: Knight Barger,
I never intended to start a full-out argument, and for this I ask your forgiveness. The posts on my thread have gone way too far! I was just asking what I thought was an innocuous, innocent question, but I fear it has drawn some of our members into anger, and anger is of the Dark Side.
Personally, I am training to become all that a Jedi is, and I will give up anything to achieve that goal. On my word of honor, I swear, I never intended to start an argument. For this I again beg you and the entire Temple's forgiveness.

I don't sense anger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #346224 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Force Powers
" I am training to become all that a Jedi is, and I will give up anything to achieve that goal. "

Giving up anything is a bit foolish. Besides I don't think that is required. That is a lynchpin for cults and that is not something we identify with

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: ZealotX

More
4 years 5 months ago #346225 by ZealotX

Dakini wrote: I wanted to learn it because I thought telekinesis was part of the basic Jedi training. Luke learned it in Dagobah, right?

Sorry, but we believe in physics here. And since we take Jediism seriously some things sound to us like a joke people may be trying to have at our expense. Star Wars is a fictional story with fictional characters and technology. We do not treat it as if everything in the movies is real. Luke also had a light saber. It worked thanks to a company called Industrial Light & Magic (ILM). It's a movie special effect. So was the telekinesis in the film. More special effects.

Jediism is not about super powers or magic, or space ships, or ewoks, or baby yoda (Even though it should be just based on how adorably cute the baby Yoda in the Mandalorian is). We don't take people's children, and I personally will never be voluntarily celibate. It is about who you are in real life and the journey to your potential.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #346230 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Force Powers
Relax, Dakini. Though you could have found an answer to your question right in the FAQ, the lengthy and passionate discussion that ensued would not have grown as much as it did without the rest of our participation - nor is there anything wrong with that. Don't beat yourself up, it's fine. ;)

@Fyxe:
So what exactly is this video you posted evidence of? I've watched it, even looked up some of the studies he cited, tried to overlook that he is a recognized quack and associates mostly with the same type of wooster as himself and that he spent like a third or so of his talk whining about how unfairly studies of this kind are treated in the mainstream - as if publishing in a half-decent journal is easy if only one do something else... Be that as it may, at best I'm looking at studies that are compatible if not supportive of a claim that mind-matter interaction may possibly account for an effect that is just barely beyond random noise. I mean, one of the fellow researchers he cited for an analysis of his work actually concluded in his paper that the data does not provide strong evidence of mind-matter interaction as claimed by Radin. And I might point that it was published in PLOS One, a journal whose impact factor is about an order of magnitude greater than the Physics Essays where Radin published... But that's all beside the point. I can be generous and take it at face value, and we'd still have barely moved from whence we started.
Which force powers you believe are real do Radin's findings correspond to, specifically? How is this evidence of any of the specific magic claims that were made here, by yourself or others?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Gisteron.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #346231 by
Replied by on topic Force Powers

Dakini wrote: What about on page 3 and 4 when everyone started talking about virginity?

Remember what is real let's focus on studying working hard getting a good education and a good job

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago #346232 by

ZealotX wrote:
sorry, not watching a 40 minute rehash of quantum physics.

Hmm, so I present the evidence asked for and you just refuse to even watch it? Very telling it seems...

Gisteron, what it shows is that there are real people out there doing real experiments and finding real conclusions about the mind body interactions. He has had good results with this work and is furthering our understanding of something others just say is not real without ever having tested anything! why do you just dismiss this stuff? Its valuable research into areas and anytime someone comes up with new ideas like this they always get laughed at until suddenly someone can make money doing it and then all of a sudden its great sceince and a breakthrough in amazing things! This is evidence, you asked for evidence, this may be preliminary but it is evidence and that cant be denied by you! So you were wrong.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #346233 by
Plus, someone mentioned christain Jedi. I didnt know what htat was and had to find out. well there is an entire section here just for CHRISTIAN JEDI!. so why do the christians get their own section and all their magical stuff just gets accepted as true but when it comes to smething like this I get told its not true and laughte at? what is the difference here?

(Opps hit wrong button-Ros)
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Rosalyn J.

More
4 years 5 months ago #346234 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Force Powers
In response to Ros/Daiquiri - True, a cultish "give us all your money and stop talking to all your friends and we'll teach you magic" isn't quite the vibe, but there are sacrifices to anything. If you were so inclined you might call this a "cost" or "giving something up" but that is a mean view of it. Giving away something you don't want to gain something important is hardly a bad deal.

Remember what is real let's focus on studying working hard getting a good education and a good job

Sure, do that, it's important, probably. Note I suppose that at least half, if not more, of the members here are grown arse adults who have mroe or less achieved the basic concepts of self sufficiency, hygiene, and grocery shopping.

Your mileage may vary, and I suppose this can be a fascinating discussion on when and how is the best way to learn different things. I personally didn't really start striving to master my self actualisation/transcendence piece until the more mundane was a matter of routine.

I'm sure there are studies out there (I generally wait until Obi finds them for me) on whether you are better starting-as-you-mean-to-go-on and trying to learn and internalise everything that makes up your "best self" from the get go, or starting with the foundational building blocks and adding complexity over time.

the prosaic logic would suggest the latter - you don't try to build a ship under after you learn how to measure and cut wood (I can probably work the old "man who chases two rabbits catches neither" into it somehow too)

Shouldn't put rabbits on boats anyway, they poop in the corners.

More
4 years 5 months ago #346235 by ZealotX

Dakini wrote: ): So sorry!
I never, never, NEVER intended for this conversation to go so amok! And it's not a joke at all!! I really respect and look up to the Jedi, and I am truly honored to be studying to become one.
): ): Please forgive me my ignorance!

Trust me. We're good. If I got upset at something like that I could hardly call myself a Jedi ;)

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #346236 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Force Powers

Plus, someone mentioned christain Jedi. I didnt know what htat was and had to find out. well there is an entire section here just for CHRISTIAN JEDI!. so why do the christians get their own section and all their magical stuff just gets accepted as true but when it comes to smething like this I get told its not true and laughte at? what is the difference here?

I was going to answer that with what I believe the answer is, but I've a feeling that won't really help, so how about you answer the question?

Take a moment to think about why there might be a christian jedi section. Don't think too hard, I'm not looking for a specific correct answer, so don't stress - just take a moment to think about it, and give me your thoughts :)

(The trick is to think of reasons that benefit someone else, not reasons that play into your own motives)?
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Rosalyn J.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi