Is the light and dark?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #313478 by
Replied by on topic Is the light and dark?

Alethea Thompson wrote: You also joined 2 years ago, Kyrin. You don't get a say in what was decided in 2013.

I didnt say I did nor do I care to. Its irrelevant to me and my path. At best your document is a fringe document that seems to carry much more weight with you than most anyone else. It may be relevant to those in your circles that are charging others for the privilege of even viewing it with your armonia whatsit site, but how does that in any way make it a "community owned" document? Seems anything owned by "The Community" should be free to anyone in that community. As an example, the Great Jedi Holocron exists in our library... however I don't find this Jedi compass you keep speaking of in the library. Why is that, if its a "community document"?

How can I study it if I cant even read it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #313482 by

Manu wrote: There is no race.

We are all walking in different directions, as we stumble and fall as we discover by feedback of doing, whether our hypothesis are right or not.

Truth needs no standardization and no idealization. First we try, then we trust.

And while we grow stronger from the pooled experiences of all members here, our maps will never be the same. Maps cannot completely convey the territory.

Life is not a race but a marathon. Everything is done in competition, your education, your relationships, your job, even religion itself causes competition. There is internal competition as we, trying to be the best you you can be.

What it is not is winners and failures. It doesn't matter if you come in first or last but It does matter if you make the effort or just sit on the sidelines. Anyone can watch, only a true person can make the effort and stay in the game.

I've never known anything that has been accomplished by everyone wondering around aimlessly, some kind of goal or design must be present. We might travel in different ways but we should still want to end up at the same place.

We should not be bringing anyone down because of their perception, only be there to help them continue on the path. The key is not believing or acting as you wish, but understanding your personal beliefs and applying them properly to the world around you.

As a Jedi, the way I interpret things is that I must have tolerance to culture, faith, and heritage, but we should be there to guide one who doesn't know what direction they need to go. They may decide to take the most challenging of paths but we still want them to end in the same place we do.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313484 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Is the light and dark?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Alethea Thompson wrote: You also joined 2 years ago, Kyrin. You don't get a say in what was decided in 2013.

I didnt say I did nor do I care to. Its irrelevant to me and my path. At best your document is a fringe document that seems to carry much more weight with you than most anyone else. It may be relevant to those in your circles that are charging others for the privilege of even viewing it with your armonia whatsit site, but how does that in any way make it a "community owned" document? Seems anything owned by "The Community" should be free to anyone in that community. As an example, the Great Jedi Holocron exists in our library... however I don't find this Jedi compass you keep speaking of in the library. Why is that, if its a "community document"?

A simple Google search would have turned up results, all proceeds go to UNICEF...
https://www.amazon.com/Jedi-Compass-Community-ebook/dp/B00ZMOHUQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516924477&sr=8-1&keywords=Jedi+compass

Jedi from all over the community contributed to this, including several who are members here, making it a community owned document. Why charge money? Did I mention all proceeds go to UNICEF? LOL

Should be obvious to anyone who's invested two years in the TOTJO and bothered to pay attention as often as it's mentioned here, and throughout the rest of the Jedi community...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Avalon, Kobos

More
6 years 3 months ago #313487 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Is the light and dark?

ནའдհдཀ༑ནკ wrote: I've never known anything that has been accomplished by everyone wondering around aimlessly, some kind of goal or design must be present. We might travel in different ways but we should still want to end up at the same place.

I could see us "arriving at the same place" as a general sentiment of victory, self-fulfillment, success. But when it comes to specifics, we want different things. To the person who is a passionate traveller, the person settling down and buying a house and starting a family might seem like a madman.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313488 by

Zenchi wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

A simple Google search would have turned up results, all proceeds go to UNICEF...
https://www.amazon.com/Jedi-Compass-Community-ebook/dp/B00ZMOHUQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516924477&sr=8-1&keywords=Jedi+compass

Jedi from all over the community contributed to this, including several who are members here, making it a community owned document. Why charge money? Did I mention all proceeds go to UNICEF? LOL

Should be obvious to anyone who's invested two years in the TOTJO and bothered to pay attention as often as it's mentioned here, and throughout the rest of the Jedi community...

yep, well aware, does it still cost money? I rest my case.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313497 by Alethea Thompson
It is a book, but it is also a Document. The document is free- as you can find on Armonia.

But since you don't seem to be up to date- Yes, there are orders which teach this document, and it's even being used this year as part of a reading challenge Jedi Realists Radio put together. Micheal Hannigan has asked his listeners to read the Jedi Compass document and then keep it in mind as they read a selection of books in the challenge.

Just because it is not specifically taught at ToTJO does not mean that what is in the document isn't taught here at ToTJO in some form. Which was the whole point, Kyrin. To find what was common amongst our orders. It wasn't meant to be the Holy Bible of Jediism. It was meant to show that we have commonalities, all of which still exist between our groups.

So let's go back to what I said earlier: If you are not willing to meet the minimum standard, you're just looking for a cool title.

That can be applied to literally every Jedi Order (or any religion/philosophy/organization for that matter) you go to. If you join ToTJO and decide you don't want to meet the minimum standard here- you're just looking for a cool "I'm a member of ToTJO" title. To not meet the minimum standard means you don't care, you are fine living your life the way it is- and that's a sad state to live in. There's no growth in it. Then, to call yourself a part of that order and demonstrate you do not care for what they teach? You just drag down the image of the group.

"YOU" does not actually mean "Kyrin", btw. "YOU" is any random individual that could read this and see themselves in what is being written.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313500 by
Oh well I stand corrected then. However I have no idea where "Aromonia" is and I don't see the document here in this library. If its taught here then why is the doc not in this library?

I don't recall it in the AP and I sure didn't see it in the IP, so where exactly is it taught here?

As for the minimum standard, Ive already stated that I would meet the minimum standard of this place as it defines it, which does not include your document. I'm sorry that doesn't seem to meet YOUR minimum standard but why should I care if it does or not? I'm not Armonia and I don't need your validation in order to find value in my path. In effect your continued assertion that I need to conform to your version of Jediism to be a legitimate Jedi is irrelevant.

Have you even read my personal code? Do you even know what it says or are you just making self righteous allegations against my path without even knowing what that path is? Many people have given me very positive feedback.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #313502 by Alethea Thompson
Take a collection of works from around the community and then boil them down to their common denominators- that's the Jedi Compass. You don't have to actually have the document to teach it. It's all covered within the Doctrine here at ToTJO. Just like how the Heartland Jedi Code includes the Skywalker Code and the five line Jedi Codes, but does not look like any of them artistically or verbally. It's an interpretation of each line and put into it's own format and words. Same is true of how the Jedi Compass was crafted. It started by taking all the documents around in community- to include the fictional Jedi Behaviors model- and then strikes whatever was not included in a document. Incidentally, there were some things that were almost completely universal, but because of one particular document we found ourselves having to refrain from putting those values into the document. In particular "Compassion", because it is listed in the Jedi Circle (a document used by Jedi Living) as a Misconception of what Jedi stand on for their philosophy. After that, we took it around- anything need to be taken off? Anything reworded? Order by order, then cycling it again until we had something we could all agree on.

So if you meet the minimum standard here at ToTJO, you meet the Jedi Compass AND MORE. If you don't meet the minimum for ToTJO, then you may or may not meet the minimum standard for the Jedi Compass. But that is the foundation we all have in common- and thus what the Jedi Community believes is the base of what we work towards. Lowest Common Denominator of all our documents crafted to reflect such as best as possible.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313504 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Is the light and dark?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Oh well I stand corrected then. However I have no idea where "Aromonia" is and I don't see the document here in this library. If its taught here then why is the doc not in this library?

Are you unwilling to buy the book for ten dollars? All proceeds go to UNICEF :)

I don't recall it in the AP and I sure didn't see it in the IP, so where exactly is it taught here?

Actually I am including in my Apprentices training, and it will be used in upcoming Cantina chats, for starters...

As for the minimum standard, Ive already stated that I would meet the minimum standard of this place as it defines it, which does not include your document.

Which place? The council? The membership? Is that regarding simple membership or apprenticeship? Rules are changing last I hear, wouldn't hurt to get updated...

In effect your continued assertion that I need to conform to your version of Jediism to be a legitimate Jedi is irrelevant.

So your a Jedi now? Welcome aboard! :)

Have you even read my personal code? Do you even know what it says or are you just making self righteous allegations against my path without even knowing what that path is? Many people have given me very positive feedback.

How many? Bragging doesn't really validate much here without proof. No, you don't require proof, but why bring it up if you can't back it up. Not everyone here is gullible and naive, sir...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #313507 by
I think there's a piece of this missing.

The Jedi Compass is a free document. The whole of it is available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f3P3dLsXQ6Nk3J7gamShIWlfCe5ta203LaMbwtGsUIY/edit#!

I mean, hell... ADD it to the Library. Don't see why it shouldn't be there.

The book, the Jedi Compass, has NO extra information. It has essays written by Jedi on the topics covered in the Compass document. So, it's like editorials and explanations of the maxims and tenets. You can get everything you need from the Compass from the free document. And, you can donate to the project for Unicef if you want the extra goodies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi