Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #313442 by
Replied by on topic Is the light and dark?

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: May I be earnest , which race are you running ? I run . I am an avid runner.

I'm talking about this race, the Jedi Path race. Its not one with an end, any people can join in whenever they happen to stumble across it. Sometimes people spring to the front, then leave. Sometimes people sprint to the front and then fall back and remain there. Sometimes people remain near the middle. Sometimes people remain at the back. Sometimes they start at the back and work their way forward as their ability increases. There is no winners, but the others are there as a way of measuring your ability and to become something to aspire to.

More
6 years 3 months ago #313443 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Is the light and dark?

Arisaig wrote:

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: May I be earnest , which race are you running ? I run . I am an avid runner.

I'm talking about this race, the Jedi Path race. Its not one with an end, any people can join in whenever they happen to stumble across it. Sometimes people spring to the front, then leave. Sometimes people sprint to the front and then fall back and remain there. Sometimes people remain near the middle. Sometimes people remain at the back. Sometimes they start at the back and work their way forward as their ability increases. There is no winners, but the others are there as a way of measuring your ability and to become something to aspire to.

It's an interesting view. I don't see it as a path, but as a methodology. We are all in the dark (lights out) feeling our way through a terrain, navigating with maps in our minds that may or may not be obsolete. The methodology involves knowing how to "Marco! Polo!" your way through, discarding parts of the maps that are outdated.

The benchmarking bit comes from seeing who can successfully navigate in the dark.

(I'm really bad at analogies, sorry.)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313444 by

Kobos wrote: And yet others to acknowledge it.

Why?

Why do you feel external validation of your path is required?
What is it in approval by others that you feel you need to make you Authentic?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313448 by

I love this. Its acknowledged because its a good pace that's been set by the community. We dont require people acknowledge where we are in the grand scheme, but we take part in this Path because there are others to run beside EDIT: and they can help us when we're running low, demoralised, tired. Its always more fun to run with a group.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #313450 by Alethea Thompson
Kyrin Wrote: I just don’t believe in YOUR definition.

It's not MY definition though. I didn't write the document, the community wrote it- it is OUR definition.

Now, if you want to ask why it would be important to conform to, say, ToTJO's definition- it would be because you cannot progress as a member within this order if you do not.

You are completely free to try your hand at creating an order of your own and crafting a definition of what the Jedi are if you don't believe an existing order is loose enough in it's definition. No one, outside of your choice, is keeping you here. As it happens, ToTJO's definition of what a Jedi is lines up perfectly with the Jedi Compass (ToTJO was also instrumental in helping develop it) but this order adds a great deal more to their understanding of what a Jedi is.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Kobos,

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313453 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Is the light and dark?

Arisaig wrote:

I love this. Its acknowledged because its a good pace that's been set by the community. We dont require people acknowledge where we are in the grand scheme, but we take part in this Path because there are others to run beside EDIT: and they can help us when we're running low, demoralised, tired. Its always more fun to run with a group.

That is exactly correct. Also, though it takes only one to set a pace as each pace is different, one must always notice movement, and one can only acknowledge speed of movement by landmark. In life and society others are those landmarks. Too many times people try to measure up against others, instead of just being with them. Acknowledge may not have been the best word choice but applicable at least.

The approval of others is of very little consequence to me Kyrin, as is the need for contention and competition with others. Im a pretty big fan of existing even when it sucks ass, that's enough for me.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Kobos. Reason: Answering a direct question.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #313457 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: Kyrin Wrote: I just don’t believe in YOUR definition.

It's not MY definition though. I didn't write the document, the community wrote it- it is OUR definition.

Now, if you want to ask why it would be important to conform to, say, ToTJO's definition- it would be because you cannot progress as a member within this order if you do not.

You are completely free to try your hand at creating an order of your own and crafting a definition of what the Jedi are if you don't believe an existing order is loose enough in it's definition. No one, outside of your choice, is keeping you here. As it happens, ToTJO's definition of what a Jedi is lines up perfectly with the Jedi Compass (ToTJO was also instrumental in helping develop it) but this order adds a great deal more to their understanding of what a Jedi is.

Im sorry but OUR definition is still not MY definition. You say community like everyone had a hand in its creation. And yet I had zero input in its creation. I have helped create other docs here but not that one so i just dont see how you can assert its OUR definition. Ill bet over half the membership here currently had no hand in its creation either. If I had then some things would be different. What that really comes down to is its not OUR definition, its yours.

I dont believe I said anything about creating an order of my own. Nor did I say I would not conform to the requirements of the vow of a knight, which simply states one will devote themselves to the Jedi path and uphold the Jedi teachings. However, there is not definition of what those teachings are and that implies teachings as I see fit according to my own path and within the bounds of the rules at this temple. Beyond that my interpretation of doctrine is my own and each knight has a free reign to teach as they see fit.

I do stay here of my own free will and this idea that I am not "running this race" along side everyone else here is just not accurate. I have studied under Knights and I interact regularly with many here and I learn from them and sometimes just maybe I also impart a bit of wisdom to others. How am I not running beside you?

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #313458 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Is the light and dark?
I believe you are right beside all of us Kyrin, I am in fact certain of it. I agree with you that none of us must agree on the doctrine to it's entirety, I do believe in all we share similar yet different views. It is through these similar views that we notice those in which we are in disagreement and in our disagreement we see our similarities. This is how communities work.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 3 months ago #313469 by Alethea Thompson
You also joined 2 years ago, Kyrin. You don't get a say in what was decided in 2013.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi