Is the light and dark?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312887 by
Is the light and dark? was created by
From another discussion...

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: No one is denied anything here really. As far as practices are concerned . Eveynone is encouraged to take their own path and practice and take their own lead on things for themselfs and their own life's.

Just a question to this statement, IF I was choosing a practice and/or a path that was obviously leading to the dark side, would it still be encouraged? If that was my views my hope and desire to come to power by idolizing one such as the mythical persona of Emperor Palpatine?

Honestly I've heard some discussion that have given me pause on this. If my view was that the only way the "evils" of the world could be beaten or controlled we're only if I come to power and force everyone to live just and proper lives, would that received encouragement or no?

There is a country music song I heard, "Most people are good" I believe is the title. And if most people are good or light, do we still accept one obviously in pursuit of the dark.

We have rules and laws as a society that might interfere with one person's personal ideals, but for the betterment of society as a whole we ask them to control this ideal. Honestly I kind of feel like the statement, "do what makes you feel good," is an opening dialog for anarchy.

However, at the same time laying down strict and adherent guidelines is a form of enacting a dictatorship.

Simply put, I'd assume that our goal for being in this faith, is to allow us to someday rejoice in our reabsorbing to the life force without fear that death is the end of life. And from that teachings should be guiding us to that goal correct.

So if someone pursuing a dark path should be intervened with to prevent them from having a fear of death and a pursuit of finding a way to extend life indefinitely? I guess my point being in most every other religion, there is black and white with very little gray, but in Jediism it feels like there might actually be more gray than light or dark that we are meant to review.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312890 by
Replied by on topic Is the light and dark?

ནའдհдཀ༑ནკ wrote: So if someone pursuing a dark path should be intervened with to prevent them from having a fear of death and a pursuit of finding a way to extend life indefinitely? I guess my point being in most every other religion, there is black and white with very little gray, but in Jediism it feels like there might actually be more gray than light or dark that we are meant to review.

For sure, there are many views on Grey, many different philosophies on how it should work. Some just go with the simple, use both sides method.

But in the end, understanding darkness, even personal darkness, helps one defend against it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312892 by
I am actually on a path that involves the exploration of the dark. But I think you might have a view of the dark that is not entirely accurate. Its not about domination and control or power in the sense of dictatorship. Its an embracing of the extremes of your emotions and the natural balance of power we each have among one another. The dark path is a path of passion instead of tranquility. A practicing sith could tell you more though.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
6 years 2 months ago #312907 by Carlos.Martinez3

ནའдհдཀ༑ནკ wrote: From another discussion...

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: No one is denied anything here really. As far as practices are concerned . Eveynone is encouraged to take their own path and practice and take their own lead on things for themselfs and their own life's.

Just a question to this statement, IF I was choosing a practice and/or a path that was obviously leading to the dark side, would it still be encouraged? If that was my views my hope and desire to come to power by idolizing one such as the mythical persona of Emperor Palpatine?

Honestly I've heard some discussion that have given me pause on this. If my view was that the only way the "evils" of the world could be beaten or controlled we're only if I come to power and force everyone to live just and proper lives, would that received encouragement or no?

There is a country music song I heard, "Most people are good" I believe is the title. And if most people are good or light, do we still accept one obviously in pursuit of the dark.

We have rules and laws as a society that might interfere with one person's personal ideals, but for the betterment of society as a whole we ask them to control this ideal. Honestly I kind of feel like the statement, "do what makes you feel good," is an opening dialog for anarchy.

However, at the same time laying down strict and adherent guidelines is a form of enacting a dictatorship.

Simply put, I'd assume that our goal for being in this faith, is to allow us to someday rejoice in our reabsorbing to the life force without fear that death is the end of life. And from that teachings should be guiding us to that goal correct.

So if someone pursuing a dark path should be intervened with to prevent them from having a fear of death and a pursuit of finding a way to extend life indefinitely? I guess my point being in most every other religion, there is black and white with very little gray, but in Jediism it feels like there might actually be more gray than light or dark that we are meant to review.

Light and dark are our definitions. Our definitions can be placed on the same thing and we can interpret them entirely difrent. The result can yield the exact same results or two very polar opposites.
You say our ... our being in this faith ... you and who else are ton speaking for ? Not arguing at all ... when I speak I speak for myself and can only represent my own path. Jedi have a very visible tendency to think our and we are me. If it is your ... practice then it's your practice. It may not be mine or even any one else's. But that's ok. There is no compotition in the Jedi faith. There is no contest between us . It tend to fall on the word quibble when one begins to try to define some one else's ... practices with their own. The Jedi path is about each individual and their interpitation and their own practice . We have to realize this some day ... when that day comes we can be rid of the quibble about well---- that's wrong and that's right . I won't ever say your wrong or your right - who am I to tell you anything ? What right have I to dictate what is best for you . That is to the individual to decide . For each individual . Take your own mantel and let others take theirs : this is one of the hardest things to come to grips with. We all wanna help but do we really ? Not arguing at all just putting that out there for discussion sake .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312940 by
" Its an embracing of the extremes of your emotions and the natural balance of power we each have among one another. The dark path is a path of passion instead of tranquility."

What's dark about that?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312942 by

Rickie wrote:
" Its an embracing of the extremes of your emotions and the natural balance of power we each have among one another. The dark path is a path of passion instead of tranquility."

What's dark about that?

Whats not dark about it? What do you consider dark and why would this not be?

More
6 years 2 months ago #312943 by Carlos.Martinez3

Rickie wrote: " Its an embracing of the extremes of your emotions and the natural balance of power we each have among one another. The dark path is a path of passion instead of tranquility."

What's dark about that?

Who's dark path ?

Build, not tear down.

More
6 years 2 months ago #312944 by Carlos.Martinez3
I ask not to argue but to add some actual girth . Who's path ? What exactly are you referring to? When we quote things like this ... a dark path from a movie tv book idea example ? And taken by who?

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312946 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rickie wrote:

What's dark about that?

Whats not dark about it? What do you consider dark and why would this not be?

Passion is neither light or dark. Embracing emotions is self discovery. Natural balance of power is pretty Ying Yang.

More
6 years 2 months ago #312948 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Is the light and dark?
The jury of hindsight is quick to attack conceptualization when it is applied as action, as any static frame of reference applied to the dynamic patterns of life will have both positive and negative impacts - but to me rejecting action is not the Jedi way. Trial and error is action, and so intent should be the only person standing in that particular court.

But different people define dark differently TBH, some use it for the 'warmth of decay' felt by being free and abandoning concepts, some define it as awareness itself as if perception distorts the essence of space, some define it as anger, some define it as hatred, some define it as money, some as power, etc, and some like me define it as self destruction (part of efforts to connect to the Force after all LOL). But to your post, rules and laws are just concepts, and I do not define them as dark just because they have the potential for negative effects. They become inefficient, counter-productive, abused or evil when used inappropriately - in which case its not the system but the people abusing it.

So I think Jedi have to work to understand the dark, but not to use it.... depending on how you define dark of course. For we really are what we think, just like we are what we eat!!

A common theme in the real pursuit of the Force is that the focus on the individuals connection to it, and so terms like light and dark could be seen within that context - which then would exclude judgement on others to a large extent and replace it with awareness and understanding in how to enable and empower their own connection to the Force (which is why its attractive to cling to the concept of non-conceptualization!). And I think that view then rather appropriately plays into the fiction of Sith using the Force to serve themselves and Jedi using the Force to bring more people to the Force - by example, but then with guidance if sought. If the Force is the light, then your either walking towards it as Jedi, or away from it as not - as like there is no absolutes in the Force, so there is also no grey. :S :silly: :blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi