SITH?

More
10 years 11 months ago #104259 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic SITH?
I need meanings to inspire and motivate me, and endarkenment can do that with a Sith path. It fits the whole mytho's neatly IMO. I'm not so sure it works so well in a Jedi theme though.... perhaps quietude, at a stretch.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #104263 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Re: SITH?
Just to throw in 2 cents, if I may --

In applied linguistics there is a term : the principle of infinite creativity.

According to this principle, meaning-bearing morphemes may be linked to convey what their meanings would suggest whether the word 'exists' or not. Little children do this when they are acquiring language, as do many second language learners. It is not 'proper' language, so to speak, but it does bear witness to an understanding of the function of specific morphemes in the language.

Endarkenment could be analysed thus :

En - process of cause, process of internalisation

Dark - adj. reflecting very little light/n. absence or minimum of light

- en - verb suffix of substantive dark

- ment - noun suffix which denotes the resulting state of the verb.

Endarkenment then is just a little bit redundant in its morphological composition, but in being so, supports a rather clear meaning. So, although we probably shall not find the word in the Oxford dictionary any-time soon, it is understandable and thereby not "stupid".

Besides, enlightenment exists as a word by the same composition, yet its given antonyms are bewilderment, confusion, ignorance, puzzlement.

Are they any more precise to express what is truly being said when one speaks of endarkenment in our present context ? Just asking ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon

More
10 years 11 months ago #104272 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: SITH?
Someone can be a human yet not a man. A blind person can truthfully say they see what I mean. A wicked old sorcerer might offer to enlighten you to the mysteries of the magical dark arts.

Has anyone looked this up? it's not a new term. I guess you could argue spelling (endarkment - endarkenment). On the other hand pantheism and panentheism are different things.

The term endarkenment is almost as old as the term age of enlightenment, and was originally asserted as a challenge to the idea that empirical science was inherently superior to spirituality as a way of describing the world.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Age_of_endarkenment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Endarkenment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/aug/15/endarkenment

When you say it endarkment sounds like endorkment.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon, Alexandre Orion

More
10 years 11 months ago #104278 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Re: SITH?
I'm sorry, Br. John, it wasn't my intent to annoy you ; for me it is just 'word fun' and also I don't enjoy seeing anyone say that a particular word is 'stupid' -- when it comes down to it, depending on how they're employed, they all can be ...

Endark(en)ment is not listed in the Cambridge, Oxford nor Merriam-Webster dictionaries, so I was just playing with a bit of morpho-syntax instead of doing in-depth etymological research. But even so ...

And even enlightenment these days is heard more as making something 'fat-free' than something spiritual (that too is supposed to be humour).

:cheer:

(I'll just go back into my library corner and be quiet now ...) :huh:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #104300 by
Replied by on topic Re: SITH?
On that note, it truly wise to say that words are stupid? Can words have intelligence due to their usefulness? Or is it the meaning and origin of the word that gives it unique value? When viewing language, everyone can measure words as they choose, so long as the way the describe their positions is what we define as logical. Does the word serendipity see much service in common speech? Or does it "sound/seem" silly to use? If you look past the sound and connotations of words themselves and view them as simple descriptors, then I reckon that arguing is redundant. I believe the key "measure" of a word should be attached to its purpose in describing something before it is judged otherwise. As Sid mentioned, "yeah, the word is stupid, but it has a use". On that note, I believe the word can be as smart or stupid as you wish it to be, dependant of course on your prior knowledge of the term. As Des said, the ideals behing words are another matter entirely, and we must respect the views of the creators while also blending words to our purpose. Respecting the origin, purpose, value and limitations with all things is a good way of gathering a relatively unbiased view on the world. Now, back to the Sith, do words associated with them and their ideals always have to be opposite to what the jedi doctrine outlines? George Orwell's 1984 is a great read for those wishing to get a better picture of this opposite language business. Unthink, ungood and endarkenment may all seem silly, yet they can be given connotation and meaning if accepted by a wide range of people.

That's my two cents worth,

Cheers :p

More
10 years 11 months ago #104312 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: SITH?

Alexandre Orion wrote: I'm sorry, Br. John, it wasn't my intent to annoy you ; for me it is just 'word fun' and also I don't enjoy seeing anyone say that a particular word is 'stupid' -- when it comes down to it, depending on how they're employed, they all can be ...

Endark(en)ment is not listed in the Cambridge, Oxford nor Merriam-Webster dictionaries, so I was just playing with a bit of morpho-syntax instead of doing in-depth etymological research. But even so ...

And even enlightenment these days is heard more as making something 'fat-free' than something spiritual (that too is supposed to be humour).

I was not directing my post at you or anyone in particular. It's only my thoughts in general on the subject. I might have misread endarkenment as endarkment. Is endarkment even on the table?

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #117540 by
Replied by on topic SITH?
You could look into the Jedaii
who seek balance in the Force.
From the Jedaii came the Sith and the Jedi.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #119376 by
Replied by on topic Re: SITH?

Br. John wrote:

Alexandre Orion wrote: I'm sorry, Br. John, it wasn't my intent to annoy you ; for me it is just 'word fun' and also I don't enjoy seeing anyone say that a particular word is 'stupid' -- when it comes down to it, depending on how they're employed, they all can be ...

I was not directing my post at you or anyone in particular. It's only my thoughts in general on the subject. I might have misread endarkenment as endarkment. Is endarkment even on the table?

facts called.

They say the term don't exist

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi