Force Powers

More
4 years 4 months ago #346364 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Force Powers
To actually add to the OP in a semi-meaningful way, I feel like RL Jedi "powers" look less like Yoda and more like Chirrut Îmwe: mastery of self and a balance of control and understanding
of mind, body, and spirit. Not flashy things for the sake of power or convenience, but true power of an internal kind, the sort that tempers us so that we can carve out a new world with our intentions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Rex, Malicious

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #346397 by forestjedi
Replied by forestjedi on topic Force Powers
Would the various participants in this debate consider Reiki a "Force Power"? Why/why not?

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #346399 by steamboat28
Reiki is one of many divisive topics in this Temple. As energy work in general has skeptics and adherents both here, that might be a partial answer, but it depends on one's definition of The Force.

Personally, I believe Reiki to be the least effective energetic healing paradigm and find it full of snake oil and bullcrap, but that's a complicated conversation.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron

More
4 years 4 months ago #346406 by forestjedi
Replied by forestjedi on topic Force Powers
Sure, I take your point. I suppose the point I was aiming at was - we are criticising some for their beliefs in practices or ideas with little/no scientific evidence. I believe from other threads that some of those same people also believe in things like Reiki, energy work etc which I feel are in a similar category, but are certainly widely discussed or advocated here.

I suppose my question is... where is the line?

For me, all abilities are in some sense "Force powers" as for me all that is, is of the Force. When the OP asked if we can teach them "Force powers" I think teaching humility, compassion, kindness, self reflection would be fair answers. I think some here could teach Reiki or other forms of energy work (for example), which would meet many more people's perception of "Force powers".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malicious

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346407 by
Replied by on topic Force Powers
I would call reike force healing. This power has many other names so why not this one for jedi?

Steamboat? What other forms of healing do you find more powerful?

More
4 years 4 months ago #346411 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Force Powers

forestjedi wrote: Sure, I take your point. I suppose the point I was aiming at was - we are criticising some for their beliefs in practices or ideas with little/no scientific evidence. I believe from other threads that some of those same people also believe in things like Reiki, energy work etc which I feel are in a similar category, but are certainly widely discussed or advocated here.

I suppose my question is... where is the line?

By the looks of it, there isn't one. I wouldn't say that Reiki or other forms of "energy work" enjoy vastly more advocacy than telekinesis or divination does. Sure, all of those things come up because someone brings them up, but the Temple's official stance makes no distinction in this regard and for the most part the same criticisms are raised against them. At most one might argue that if we are talking about some sort of tradition with somewhat established rituals, depending on what they involve there may be some claims we can actually make about the practice's benefit, as we can with some forms of meditation for its relaxing effects, for instance. Of course vague "Force powers" cannot enjoy that privilege until narrowed down to concrete practices. "Telekinesis", to point at something mentioned once or twice in this thread, is also defined in terms of its supposed effects rather than the methods by which they can allegedly be reached. Again we can discuss the merits of the methods any one acolyte employs, but of the "power" itself we can say little more than that so far it made no confirmed appearance in nature.

I think some here could teach Reiki or other forms of energy work (for example), which would meet many more people's perception of "Force powers".

Maybe they could, maybe they could not, and that is for each of them to arrange on their own time and through their own channels, if they choose so. For now, the Temple does not officially promote it nor offer a platform for it, despite propositions towards it in the past. I'm sure there are good reasons for it, too, though I'll abstain from speculating as to which ones specifically were used to justify that decision back then.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex, Malicious

More
4 years 4 months ago #346416 by steamboat28

Fyxe wrote: Steamboat? What other forms of healing do you find more powerful?

Literally all of them. Reiki is an expensive pack of lies at worst and an absurdly expensive placebo at best. The legends don't line up with history at all, the methods don't follow actual energetic work theory, and on the accidental occasion that it does work, it's because they came to the right conclusion with the wrong process.

It's a pyramid scheme. And I say this as a certified master. Every other form of energy healing is more effective.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346419 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Fyxe wrote: Steamboat? What other forms of healing do you find more powerful?

Literally all of them. Reiki is an expensive pack of lies at worst and an absurdly expensive placebo at best. The legends don't line up with history at all, the methods don't follow actual energetic work theory, and on the accidental occasion that it does work, it's because they came to the right conclusion with the wrong process.

It's a pyramid scheme. And I say this as a certified master. Every other form of energy healing is more effective.

Well you didnt answer the question. Can you name these other systems? How do I know what your talking about if you have no names? I cant study "literally all of them" as you say

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #346453 by

forestjedi wrote: .... For me, all abilities are in some sense "Force powers" as for me all that is, is of the Force. When the OP asked if we can teach them "Force powers" I think teaching humility, compassion, kindness, self reflection would be fair answers. I think some here could teach Reiki or other forms of energy work (for example), which would meet many more people's perception of "Force powers".

This is a valuable teaching, imo. It's hard to deny that we humans are fascinated by the image of magical acts that shatter the limits of what we consider possible, whether we are skeptics or believers. Performers like David Copperfield make a phenomenal living based on that characteristic we share.

But if we affix our attention too heavily on magical phenomena, we may overlook the miracle of the ordinary. Breathing, when you think about it, is a pretty impressive force power; it happens without the aid of our will, and sustains life constantly. Just because everybody can do it and it takes no learning doesn't mean it's not a force power.

Those that ForestJedi listed are pretty important too. They are powers within the reach of everyone, but only developed by some. But the one who breaks his leg falling off of a bicycle would probably be much more appreciative of someone helping him to get medical care than by their levitation of his bike.

I'd not want to discourage anyone from testing the boundaries of the possible ... but at the same time we should not forget the miracle of ordinary things.

More
4 years 4 months ago #346455 by steamboat28
My main issue with people asking about such powers is that they want them for very selfish reasons at first--power, validation, impressing others. That's a natural instinct, and nothing to be ashamed of in the strictest sense.

However, the Jedi path (at it's best) is a selfless one. So, goals shift from power to impress to power to help; from validation to charity

I'm attempting to help in encouraging that shift, and I think I might be doing it wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Gisteron, , OB1Shinobi, Rex, Malicious

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi