The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 8 months ago #65617 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Jedi Healers
I remember reading an article about a scientific study of reiki. Although the study didn't involve enough tests to be held as scientific fact, it was discovered that fake reiki was more effective than the real one when the patients were being lied to :P All hail placebos, the most effective treatment there is!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65619 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jedi Healers
I have to admit I love placebos! Have you ever thought of the oposite? that If you give someone a powererfull psychotropic drug and they belive that it does nothing then it just won't.

The wonderfull power of "belief"...or disbelief for that matter.

The sceptics dictionary has alot about what other people believe.

But do they have a defenition for the word belief itself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65622 by
I know what you mean ren. Alot of these so called reiki practitioners simply say things like "if you can't feel anything, then it's working on a more subtle level"...this is simply for them to get a laugh from the fact that no-one can "see" reiki so no-one can prove it doesn't exist.

But refering back to what the sceptics handbook said. I do belive in vitalism. Let me explain.

During my stay at the local nut-home (don't ask how I got put there) There were alot of people who really were using belief to further they're totalitarian reisheim. Especially the so called nurses. I was constantly underfire phisically, verbaly and mentaly.

But, strangly enough that was one of the most peacefull states of mind i've ever had. I felt this sense of vitality in my chest; and knew that I didn't want anyone to take that away from me. I hadn't even heard of vitalism at that time. And if I had heard it said I would probably called it some kind of new age mumbo-jumbo.

But this doesn't mean scientists and reiki practitioners have to be at war. Science doesn't necessarily prove Reiki wrong and reiki doesn't nessesarily have a problem with science.

anyways i'm off to bed.

goodnight!

More
11 years 8 months ago #65624 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Jedi Healers

Attachment kliban_fish.gif not found

B. Kliban

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65625 by

Jackofalltrades wrote: Science doesn't necessarily prove Reiki wrong

Well goodnight to you as well. I'm now off to my leprechaun-unicorn flying fortress of ghost-bone where there are dragons and fairies (that live in houses made of teeth) where everything is immortal and money grows on trees and gold is grown like a crop and food is generated by thought where giants work as chefs to cook dinner with spoons

Science doesn't disprove what I just said. It could be true. Now tell me you believe me ;)

Look into something called the 'Burden of Proof' and you'll get my point

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #65626 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Jedi Healers

MJ Hannigan wrote: So i guess what i am asking here is who else focuses on Reiki, Empathic Development or other forms of energy work on their Jedi Path?

Sort of, I've got a few books on Traditional Chinese Medicine and I've been reading them for over 16 years on and off. My wife has done I think 2 levels of Reiki. Funny story is her sister did it at the same time but during the program the training was so intense for her it made her vomit terribly.... we always thought she was the twin evil sister
:lol:

Its just a reality that sources of electromagnetic energy interact and influence each other, whether they be another animal nearby providing a deliberate or inadvertent 'healing' effect through resonant field interaction, or a mobile phone next to your head causing brain cancer.

Skepticism is a cheap shot using the established limits of a system of measurement to criticize anything which falls outside that systems ability to measure it, so I'm not impressed generally with skeptics but its an important part of science when used within the scope of applicability or to define applicability.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Adder. Reason: falls not fails

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65627 by

Akkarin wrote:

Jackofalltrades wrote: Science doesn't necessarily prove Reiki wrong

Well goodnight to you as well. I'm now off to my leprechaun-unicorn flying fortress of ghost-bone where there are dragons and fairies (that live in houses made of teeth) where everything is immortal and money grows on trees and gold is grown like a crop and food is generated by thought where giants work as chefs to cook dinner with spoons

Science doesn't disprove what I just said. It could be true. Now tell me you believe me ;)

Look into something called the 'Burden of Proof' and you'll get my point

A scientist wouldn't waste his time disproving what you just said. He would probalby just treat it as some kind story. Also, I think you'd have a hard time proving yourself right about that in a controled environment.

I think this "Burden of Proof" that you talk about is simply a way to say that I have to prove that it exists, but you can simply take the micky out of the whole thing and not have to prove that it doesn't exist.

I don't know if you practice reiki or not. But why on earth would someone who has not practiced Reiki know more about it than someone who had? So someone tells you they can heal yourself and others, And you simply disbalive it. On what grounds do you say that it doesn't exist?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65628 by

Br. John wrote:

Attachment kliban_fish.gif not found

B. Kliban

so we are reiki (fish) and the scientist is trying to prove the existance of ourselves (fish)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65631 by
Let's say I know one thing out of one-hundred. then the other 99 things I simply say they do not exist

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi