Profiles - Gender

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 6 months ago #260385 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender
How so?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260399 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Profiles - Gender
...because it forces them to choose between their identity and a metric that they don't feel identifies them at all?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• ren
    Registered
More
7 years 6 months ago #260404 by ren
No-one's forced to do anything. The option not to answer remains an option.

Gender is a metric that identifies significantly less people than Sex.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260405 by steamboat28

ren wrote: Gender is a metric that identifies significantly less people than Sex.

Care to quote a statistic on that, or are we going on your traditional ultra-conservative, "everybody but me is wrong", ostrich-head-in-the-socio-political-sand ramblings here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• ren
    Registered
More
7 years 6 months ago #260408 by ren

steamboat28 wrote:

ren wrote: Gender is a metric that identifies significantly less people than Sex.

Care to quote a statistic on that, or are we going on your traditional ultra-conservative, "everybody but me is wrong", ostrich-head-in-the-socio-political-sand ramblings here?

there is no statistic for that, statistics do not measure things which do not exist. I see you once again show absolute ignorance of other cultures on this topic. You used to be a decent guy, what happened?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260409 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender
Wow this escalated quickly.. what if we take away both options ? We are supposed to be a community that embraces and accepts eachothers differences , but this discussion clearly proves we cannot. Bickering like little children over metrics , its the first time i really feel ashamed of you , really ,...take the options away and talk to eachother about who you are , because ideas are fluid and metrics are not , but if this is so offensive to people maybe they should consider getting a thicker skin or ...be a Jedi and accept people are different , some are metric and some are fluid ...

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260411 by steamboat28

ren wrote: there is no statistic for that, statistics do not measure things which do not exist. I see you once again show absolute ignorance of other cultures on this topic. You used to be a decent guy, what happened?

Gender exists as a concept. It has for a very long time. It is such an old concept that it has been traditionally subverted by shaman and medicine workers for the whole of recorded history.

Would you, having that knowledge, like to present me with evidence from a sociologist or anthropologist that says otherwise? Because if not, you're talking out of your ass to push your own opinion.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Avalon

More
7 years 6 months ago #260420 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Profiles - Gender
I'm disappointed my request for the topic to be taken elsewhere (this was just a thread about adding a gender option to the profile) has been ignored.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 6 months ago #260423 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Profiles - Gender
Edan,

It was taken elsewhere, now everyone is just carrying on the debate in two places :laugh:

If you've got no interest in reading through all the diatribe (I don't blame you)

It was Changed to

Sex: Male, Female, Neither.

Then back to

So, twelve hours of chest puffing and debate...and we're back where we started :)

Come back in another day, and it may or may not be a different story :)

• ren
    Registered
More
7 years 6 months ago #260424 by ren

steamboat28 wrote:

ren wrote: there is no statistic for that, statistics do not measure things which do not exist. I see you once again show absolute ignorance of other cultures on this topic. You used to be a decent guy, what happened?

Gender exists as a concept. It has for a very long time. It is such an old concept that it has been traditionally subverted by shaman and medicine workers for the whole of recorded history.

Would you, having that knowledge, like to present me with evidence from a sociologist or anthropologist that says otherwise? Because if not, you're talking out of your ass to push your own opinion.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Ah personal attacks.

First of all "sex" exists all over the world. "gender" does not exist all over the world. You have been told this a dozen times now by myself and other members. It is not about how old "gender" is, but if you must mention age know this: "sex" also existed long before any ideas of anything, let alone "gender" did, around 1.2 billion years ago? I don't think they had shamans 1.2 billion years ago. But you can supply evidence from a sociologist or anthropologist that says otherwise if it makes you happy.
I incidentally recall being told that two-spirits is not the same as gender. You may very well be offending native-americans with your statements.

Secondly. You have witnessed no such things from me.

I do not believe that whatever groups I belong to are better, because don't like what comes with groups and refrain from joiing them. 10 years of totjo, I wrote half the doctrine and you don't wonder why I'm just a member? Are you just having a laugh with this?

You have most certainly not witnessed racism from me as my wife and children are not "my race", and I get along with people from other cultures --just not yours--, unfortunately we're the same race, so that still doesn't count as racism. Better luck next time ;)

You have not witnessed sexism from me as I have a son and daughter, and I don't want them to be discriminated against or turned rotten by feminists, an issue most people here know concerns me greatly.

I'm also not an "ableist". You see my son has a mental illness, another thing I have not kept secret here, and particularly concerned about his rights. What can I say I'm a libertarian. I also remember having to defend people with symptoms I am familiar with here, from you and your bully friends.

I have no idea where the homophobia comment comes from, as I've got good relationships with homosexuals on and off totjo, including a physical one which I have spoken about before, here at totjo.

As to the transphobic comment, I do not see how sex is transphobic. I do not see how giving an option other than "male" and "female" is transphobic.

Now that everything is back as it was, surely you can calm down?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi