Profiles - Gender

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260430 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender

ren wrote: Ah personal attacks.

ren wrote: You used to be a decent guy, what happened?

???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260436 by

ren wrote: No-one's forced to do anything. The option not to answer remains an option.

Gender is a metric that identifies significantly less people than Sex.

What if people want the option of putting something other than male/female? Doesn't this put us at the beginning of the thread? A text box seems the most straightforward if Gender is to remain an option. Indeed even if the option is sex (which was changed without Council notification) there are still non-binaries which would similarly be straightforwardly accommodated with a text box.

Another approach suggested would be to remove the option entirely, there is space for it in the "About Me" section of the profile. This option would also remove any issues with promoting one category over the other.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 6 months ago #260444 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender
Edan suggested an additional option, martalina suggested "gender" was the wrong word. After a quick review of what would be needed I agreed with both, even though at first I didn't see much sense to edan's request.

A text box seems the most straightforward if Gender is to remain an option.

As I explained in the thread adding new options to the list is easy, but not replacing the field with a text box without screwing up years of profiles, which are known to be quirky. As there's a plethora of genders and only 3 possible answers for sex, it made perfect sense.

Some people want gender, some people don't. I never envisioned changing "gender:male/female" which only covers a small portion of human population to "sex: male/female/neither", which covers 100% of the human population for such a tiny nothing on a %&*&$$ profile page could trigger such bullying at totjo, which I now think has got to be the most bigoted place I have ever frequented.

As such I agree with your assessment that it should be removed. People here have shown they are absolutely incapable of having sex, gender or for others to have a different one. There is already an "about" box where people can put anything they want (I do), and that's what should be used until the people who find themselves obsessed with this rubbish can learn to control themselves. As clergy people were involved I would also like to note standards seem lower than ever in that area.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Tarran

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260446 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Profiles - Gender
Once again. You don't get to personally make that decision for other people. And that fact that you haphazardly did so knowing how important of a subject this can be for some people is beyond concerning. I find it hard to believe that you didn't imagine taking away a form of self identification you have openly stated doesn't exist in place of a biological identification you know some don't agree is accurate would be received any other way than poorly.

If you're so concerned with "screwing up profiles" add it as a new text box. "Training master" and "apprentice" didn't exist as options when I joined three years ago; I believe they were added last summer. Adding a new profile option can obviously be done so don't tell me it can't be. Don't want to screw up live profiles? Do it locally to verify it works before uploading the changes live.

As it is, the call has been made for gender and for text box vs drop down by I believe three council members now. But don't push your personal agenda on people because you have the ability to do so.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Avalon.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 6 months ago #260447 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender

Avalonslight wrote: Once again. You don't get to personally make that decision for other people.

Neither do you, bully.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260449 by Avalon

Akkarin wrote:

ren wrote: No-one's forced to do anything. The option not to answer remains an option.

What if people want the option of putting something other than male/female? Doesn't this put us at the beginning of the thread? A text box seems the most straightforward if Gender is to remain an option. Indeed even if the option is sex (which was changed without Council notification) there are still non-binaries which would similarly be straightforwardly accommodated with a text box.

Another approach suggested would be to remove the option entirely, there is space for it in the "About Me" section of the profile. This option would also remove any issues with promoting one category over the other.

Akkarin, the other option which has been suggested (in the other thread I think) was the addition of the opposing category so that both are available and the user can utilize which they want. Given that profiles are quick snippets of information meant to be accessed easily so that people have a basic understanding of one another in communication, I would still say that if changing the form type of the current option is of too much difficulty, adding a second option entirely would be best because we have historical proof it can be done. The people who would be affected by this most would know what to do with the two options and the general population would still be able to easily access the profile and quickly gather something as basic as "I need to address this person as 'she'" which can mean the world to people who are most impacted by gender identity not matching biological sex.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260452 by Avalon

ren wrote:

Avalonslight wrote: Once again. You don't get to personally make that decision for other people.

Neither do you, bully.

Except I never tried ;) I argued against you having done so without regard to those affected by your decision and without any form of permission by the council, or rather that board that you answer to.

Try again.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260456 by

Akkarin wrote:

This is indeed the only logical option as other options dont respect either opinions on gender and sex , it was me who said that gender is the wrong word if you want to be adressed with HE , or SHE , because of all the variables and misconceptions and the complete lack of mutual respect here , there really is nothing more to say on the matter. I am begging the Council to have the whole sex and gender thing removed so we can get to know eachother as Jedi.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260466 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Profiles - Gender

MartaLina wrote:

Akkarin wrote:

This is indeed the only logical option as other options dont respect either opinions on gender and sex , it was me who said that gender is the wrong word if you want to be adressed with HE , or SHE , because of all the variables and misconceptions and the complete lack of mutual respect here , there really is nothing more to say on the matter. I am begging the Council to have the whole sex and gender thing removed so we can get to know eachother as Jedi.

Since the ONLY reason the gender/sex field is relevant is for people to know how to address others, maybe we (and by "we" I mean ren :laugh: ) could change it to "How do we address you" and have the options be "he" or "she". And then be done with the whole issue.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

More
7 years 6 months ago #260467 by Avalon

Manu wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Akkarin wrote:

Since the ONLY reason the gender/sex field is relevant is for people to know how to address others, maybe we (and by "we" I mean ren :laugh: ) could change it to "How do we address you" and have the options be "he" or "she". And then be done with the whole issue.

Lmao he she or other ;)

But yes there's that too!!

The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi