Profiles - Gender

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260527 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender

MartaLina wrote: but we should stop attacking people who are trying to change things or clear them up , they be attacking eachother now , so stupid ...

Word.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260528 by

Gwinn wrote:

Kit wrote:

MartaLina wrote: And now for the piece de resistance for arguments sake , how many of you actually LOOK at someone elses profile , i did and guess what i found , the person i wanted to look at has...restricted acces , the irony loll

I do, whenever anyone pops into chat that I don't recognize, I check their profile for date joined and gender so I know if I how I can greet them and what pronoun to use.

I do too, as I said on the first page.

:laugh: yeah i know WE do , but a lot of people dont , and even then , whats the use if you have your profile on private ?

More
7 years 6 months ago #260529 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Profiles - Gender

MartaLina wrote:

Gwinn wrote:

Kit wrote:

MartaLina wrote: And now for the piece de resistance for arguments sake , how many of you actually LOOK at someone elses profile , i did and guess what i found , the person i wanted to look at has...restricted acces , the irony loll

I do, whenever anyone pops into chat that I don't recognize, I check their profile for date joined and gender so I know if I how I can greet them and what pronoun to use.

:laugh: yeah i know WE do , but a lot of people dont , and even then , whats the use if you have your profile on private ?

haha that's on other people XD I try not to offend someone the first time I meet them if info is available XD but that's just me ;) Private profiles are usually done for very good and very personal reasons :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260530 by

Kit wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Gwinn wrote:

Kit wrote:

haha that's on other people XD I try not to offend someone the first time I meet them if info is available XD but that's just me ;) Private profiles are usually done for very good and very personal reasons :)

I am sure they are :) it was just funny that the first profile that i looked at had restricted acces loll

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260532 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Profiles - Gender
well...technically the word "gender" basically means "the socially constructed elements of biological sex" or "how one socially identifies"

this doesnt actually sort out where biology ends and conditioning begins

the actual differences between men and women are not all socially constructed, (just check your pants) if they were, people wouldnt need hormone therapy to transition

i mean OBVIOUSLY there are differences between men and women

there are differences between male and female brains

we have major hormonal differences, and these differences result in major behavioral and psychological differences

women are underrepresented in the STEM fields. some people insist that this is purely patriarchal discrimination, but even in the most egalitarian nation in the world : "... there were clear gender preferences in terms of choice of studies; many women choose subjects that lead them to jobs in the care sector whereas men are more likely to choose subjects leading to lucrative jobs in sectors such as science, technology and engineering."

also, there is evidence that women are better managers than men

its easy to say "gender is socially constructed" and think that this solves the issue - but "gender" is socially constructed only because the very definition of the word excludes all of the fundamentally biological components and differences right off the bat

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260533 by

Avalonslight wrote: Akkarin, the other option which has been suggested (in the other thread I think) was the addition of the opposing category so that both are available and the user can utilize which they want. Given that profiles are quick snippets of information meant to be accessed easily so that people have a basic understanding of one another in communication, I would still say that if changing the form type of the current option is of too much difficulty, adding a second option entirely would be best because we have historical proof it can be done.

If we're adding boxes under "Basic Information", why not add race/ethnicity/sexuality?

There's space available for people to add whatever they wish, indeed those particular things they are inclined to add are themselves informative of what one considers important "Basic Information". As for what is not mentioned, there is something to be said about being blind to another's qualities - it highlights how unnecessary they are in interpersonal communications.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 6 months ago #260534 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender

Akkarin wrote: If we're adding boxes under "Basic Information", why not add race/ethnicity/sexuality?

Please I beg you don't encourage them, by the end of the week we'll have a "tick if being called a jew offends you" box.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Tarran,

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260535 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Profiles - Gender
dont forget the otherkin

http://www.vice.com/read/from-dragons-to-foxes-the-otherkin-community-believes-you-can-be-whatever-you-want-to-be

EDIT

no internet reference is complete without a youtube lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komph9TxTbI

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran,

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260536 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Profiles - Gender

Akkarin wrote: If we're adding boxes under "Basic Information", why not add race/ethnicity/sexuality?

There's space available for people to add whatever they wish, indeed those particular things they are inclined to add are themselves informative of what one considers important "Basic Information". As for what is not mentioned, there is something to be said about being blind to another's qualities - it highlights how unnecessary they are in interpersonal communications.

Response:

I understand gender is a big issue for some members here. I mean no disrespect by the comparison I'm about to make:

What if "race" is a big deal for me? Let's say my race has played a pivotal role in my identity. Should I get to demand this site to put it up there as an option to select on the profile?

I mean, there is an "about me" free-for-all textbox to write in any information is "must know" for others...

Your race doesn't dictate how people address you (he, she, etc) in normal conversation. Your gender does. This information being readily available on your profile can help prevent early miscommunication with other members.

Also, I stated elsewhere but will repeat again, the average individual isn't going to spend time reading a paragraph when they can see "sex: [x]" just to see if they mention a different gender identification in that section. It stating gender alleviates the possibility of any confusion that sex cannot alleviate due to them being two different constructs.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
7 years 6 months ago #260537 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Profiles - Gender

ren wrote: Please I beg you don't encourage them, by the end of the week we'll have a "tick if being called a jew offends you" box.

Oh Ren :laugh:

I see you're point, but you don't help yourself haha

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi