Taking Part in the Process...As an experienced Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221437 by

Khaos wrote:
I have no interest in what someone once did.

Except for all the historical, philisophical, religious, and educated leaders of our past as far back as back can go for some that we study not only in the Jedi practices but in every day life and regular schooling practices. History, is part of the human culture.

I see alot of bias in this statment (not just you Khaos but in general) So many here at TOTJO saying "We don't care about what happened" and yet most of the IP is made up of old people from what "Once Was." And most of the Doctrines comes from "The Old Guard" days with very little revision or updating to apparent "Present Changes"

If all we cared about was what we did right now....we would have no hero's and guidelines to follow.

I believe it is important and respectful to honor those that have spent time, years, dedication and effort to the path. People like Streen have indeed earned at least that.

Does that mean he or even I get a free pass? No. Nor would I expect it.

But there IS something to be said about the past as there is about the future and especially the present.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #221441 by
One more thing. In my eexperience of being a former master here then leaving for a long time and coming back. I did not get to just pick up were i left off. I asked for a rank demotion and had to prove myself again by taking on responsibility , catching up and really getting to know people.

So perhaps you could do the same

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221445 by OB1Shinobi

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Except for all the historical, philisophical, religious, and educated leaders of our past as far back as back can go for some that we study not only in the Jedi practices but in every day life and regular schooling practices. History, is part of the human culture.

I see alot of bias in this statment (not just you Khaos but in general) So many here at TOTJO saying "We don't care about what happened" and yet most of the IP is made up of old people from what "Once Was." And most of the Doctrines comes from "The Old Guard" days with very little revision or updating to apparent "Present Changes"

If all we cared about was what we did right now....we would have no hero's and guidelines to follow.

I believe it is important and respectful to honor those that have spent time, years, dedication and effort to the path. People like Streen have indeed earned at least that.

But there IS something to be said about the past as there is about the future and especially the present.

im kind of a jerk and even when i choose to belive in the most benevolent interpretation of an event that i can concieve, that doesnt stop my mind from calculating the less pleasant potentials

what the cynical and judgemental part of my mind interprets from this OP is "i want to be called master and i want to take apprentices"

but last month it was "totjo is going to go the way of pedophilia" under the guise of "im just the messenger"

how much time does ittake for someone to learn tact?
lol i suppose i will let you know as soon as i learn some!

i agree with Khaos's point about judging based on the NOW - our past is worth only so much as the lessons we learned from it

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #221447 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: i agree with Khaos's point about judging based on the NOW - our past is worth only so much as the lessons we learned from it

Most certianly. Our history and past is no excuse to behave poorly in the present. In fact, it is even more reason/responsibility to behave according to our beliefs and teachings. It's a heavier weight to bare....but not one that should be discarded or un-cared for.

I am certainly not saying the past is reason for free passes. I am simply saying we shouldn't carelessly say it dosn't matter. Because it does. It's apart of our very structure.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221448 by Proteus

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Khaos wrote:

If Eckhart Tolle were to come to this temple and ask to be a Knight right away, even he would be asked to start from the beginning, if it were up to me. This does not mean that his past reputation is useless and irrelevant. We all have value in learning about our own past, and learning from what other have said and done in their past too, as it does have value, however that value does not take priority over the value of what they say and do in the present, as that is the point in time we interact in.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #221451 by
The only thing that matters is now. But, everything in the past certainly helps add up to now. I agree with Pro. I would actually love to watch Tolle go through the IP. haha. Would be amazing!

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221452 by Adder
I view it not like a test, but an opportunity to reveal something about yourself to others (and yourself) by reflecting on particular topics. We have Knights sometimes choose re-do the IP for fun/curiosity to see how their perspectives on the material has changed. The process of using the same material just gives us each an opportunity to have a shared experience. I learn new things every day so how I perceive things is always changing. As such I tend to view the things like ranks as administrative titles (for functional reasons to denote duty or progress through particular programs etc), not awards of accomplishment or some measure of 'Jedi-ness'.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #221458 by Jestor
Text environment, lol..

It sucks!

Yes, I don't mean to totally discount the past either, but, sometimes it appears to be waved like a flag... lol..

About as much as it gets discounted... :lol:

It only becomes an issue in posts like these... lol... (anytime the "been here since" gets launched, lol)

We don't walk up to people in our physical world, like "hey, I'm new to this clown school, but, I've got X years in it..."

We walk up, say hi, and be ourselves... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221462 by

Jestor wrote: We don't walk up to people in our physical world, like "hey, I'm new to this clown school, but, I've got X years in it..."[/color]

I could argue that ;) but I've already said my point. Just because so and so does such and such....dosn't give us the right to respond with "It dosn't matter." (Because A: It is such a negative response and B: It does matter - to a point obviously.) Just makes us finger pointers at that point ;)

But now we are way off topic!! haha sorry for my part in that.

As I said Streen. Participate. The rest is just bells and whistles.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #221463 by Jestor
Any point can be argued... lol...

But you are right... I'm sorry for any part I played inthe derail too... :lol:...

Old discussions (damn history! :whistle:)...

Streen, I'll tell you like I tell anyone who asks me about joining...

+++++++++++
Please feel free to join, or don't...

I've learned from members and guests alike...

I told you via PM, I like you, Streen, and just contributing here is a great thing... :)

Everyone is welcome, and their contributions appreciated... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi