Taking Part in the Process...As an experienced Jedi

More
8 years 3 months ago #221910 by TheDude
I, for one, would find it interesting to see how Jedi who have been along for a long time go through the IP and other training programs here, and how their answers differ from mine. Probably would be beneficial for those of us who haven't been around as long, I would think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Jestor, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 3 months ago #221911 by RyuJin

TheDude wrote: I, for one, would find it interesting to see how Jedi who have been along for a long time go through the IP and other training programs here, and how their answers differ from mine. Probably would be beneficial for those of us who haven't been around as long, I would think.

every new perspective is new information to absorb....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheDude

More
8 years 3 months ago #222018 by Whyte Horse

RyuJin wrote:

TheDude wrote: I, for one, would find it interesting to see how Jedi who have been along for a long time go through the IP and other training programs here, and how their answers differ from mine. Probably would be beneficial for those of us who haven't been around as long, I would think.

every new perspective is new information to absorb....

Well ya know dude, one must abide... But ryujin and many others could go through the IP and submit corrections, improvements, etc. So really there's no harm in starting over but there is a benefit if one can help to make it better.

I find myself in the same boat where the IP has changed since I began and so I'd need to repeat it all but I know a bunch of stuff now that noobs don't so maybe I can see something they don't and get it fixed or whatever...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222047 by

Br. John wrote: Someone could graduate from Harvard Law School with Honors. They could practice law for 20 years in New York then serve as a judge on the state supreme court there for 10 years. They decide to move to Texas and want to open a law practice. To get a licence to be a lawyer in Texas they still have to pass the Texas Bar Exam (which unfortunately does not cover how to make a perfect vodka martini).

but he doesn't have to go back to law school. Maybe he will have to learn some about Texas laws? He is tested to see if has the knowledge to practice law in Texas basis and to determine if his past experiences and education is adequate. They recognize his past experiences. If he fails he has to study up on his weakness but he doesn't start from scratch.

More
8 years 3 months ago #222059 by J_Roz

Rickie wrote:

Br. John wrote: Someone could graduate from Harvard Law School with Honors. They could practice law for 20 years in New York then serve as a judge on the state supreme court there for 10 years. They decide to move to Texas and want to open a law practice. To get a licence to be a lawyer in Texas they still have to pass the Texas Bar Exam (which unfortunately does not cover how to make a perfect vodka martini).

but he doesn't have to go back to law school. Maybe he will have to learn some about Texas laws? He is tested to see if has the knowledge to practice law in Texas basis and to determine if his past experiences and education is adequate. They recognize his past experiences. If he fails he has to study up on his weakness but he doesn't start from scratch.

That is not true. All of us in a professional capacity have to continue our education. Even Lawyers/Judges. Yes he would have to test for the Texas Bar but he would still be required to continue his study.

As a College Professor I have to continue my education, I'm currently working towards a Masters and after that a PHD. As part of my Masters in Anthropology I have the opportunity with my father who is a minister to visit the Holy Land. What I can learn by actually visiting those places and bring back to the classroom is vital and required for me to share.

As for here, I support the Rank system in place. I support the education programs. Remember people this whole thing is free. The few of us behind the scenes that help with this are all volunteer. No one is making money here, yes there is always room for improvement, however being a an Educator myself and having gone through the IP and then Apprenticeship I feel was an incredible part of this temple and the dedication of the people in it. Yes its not for everyone and that's okay too.

When I got to meet my teacher face to face and talked we laughed and carried a conversation on for three hours straight with one bathroom break in between. Why? Because we have a shared experience here that we have done together and worked through. We were meeting as equals and that was never more apparent to me than that night. It didn't matter that he was a Knight and I was an Apprentice, we were two Jedi talking about being Jedi and laughing about trivial Jedi things together. I hope that is something we can do again in the future and that I can meet up with a few more folks to giggle about more Jedi things.

Do the program. Earn your place. Or not. That is fine too. If you don't want to climb the ladder that is fine and a lot of great folks contribute at the Member and Guest level. If you go up in rank you get more responsibility, hence the reason for going through our program, so we are all on a level playing field.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222094 by

All of us in a professional capacity have to continue our education.

Yes we do. No argument there but that was not the point I was attempting to make.

Continued education is not the same starting law school from scratch. In fact I believe anyone can sit for the bar exam? No formal education required? The test determines if one has sufficient knowledge to be a lawler. Please if some one knows better about the bar exam speak up.

This is my point.

Yes he would have to test for the Texas Bar

More
8 years 3 months ago #222096 by Edan
This thread, and the thread about rank, makes me think that say, martial arts masters, must practice the basics. Why is it a problem to do so on a Jedi forum too?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222101 by Tellahane

Edan wrote: This thread, and the thread about rank, makes me think that say, martial arts masters, must practice the basics. Why is it a problem to do so on a Jedi forum too?

I don't think that what I'm about to put here will hold much ground, but I'm going to throw out another real world example of something, and see what people think about it.

So in the world of emergency medical services, there are usually 3 basic licenses at the state level. Emt-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Paramedic. Here in Illinois I'm a licensed EMT-I and I'm a licensed EMT-B in wisconsin. For a period of time those who lived close to two states, in order to work from one state to the next, lets say since I live close to the indiana border if I wanted to also go work at a job in indiana as an intermediate, I have to not only re-test, but I have to re go through practicals and prove that I can do all the interventions I'm trained for. This was the way it was for majority of the states up until a few years ago.

After awhile there was a problem of if you wanted licensed in multiple states having to do this over and over every couple years, while helpful if you were really working 2 or more jobs where you had to have licenses in multiple states you are already getting enough hands on experience, and have to do renewal practicals anyway every year that its deemed excessive to have to continue to do that.(It was also cost prohibitive, it required testing equipment you had to have those qualified to teach present to do the testing, it can consume 8-20 hours per person to go through it all depending on license level, and your doing it once a year per job you have annually anyway in addition to that testing, there just wasn't enough staff around to constantly do that when that staff could be teaching other new students and then the cost for the actual sessions were very expensive too(in some cases for paramedics it can be as high as $1,000 for national registry level sessions).

After awhile of realizing that, came the national standards. Not every state has adopted it yet but there is a curriculum and standard which is usually a higher/harder test that if you pass you can get a license with nothing but the licensing fee in I think 42 of the states that has adopted it right now. For example I also hold a national registry standard for EMT, I can walk into the Missouri office give them my nremt-b card and and a check and they hand me a license without having to go through all the testing because the national standard is a higher standard then most of the states and a level everyone kind of agrees with.

So to put that into a jedi practical statement, it would be the equivalent of the various jedi communities coming together and putting together a list of requirements that everyone agreed on of what makes a knight a knight, a combination of minimums essentially and if someone achieved those minimums could be considered a knight rank in any given community. Now is that likely to happen, no. For 2 big reasons, 1, the chances of everyone agreeing with their different philosophies is probably pretty darn low, and 2. The "title" and "label" of knight has different responsibilities and roles within each community, it would be hard to just let someone in and assume they are going to instantly pick up those responsibilities if they are focused on another community of their own.

So I don't see anything like that happening soon, but I did want to give a valid example for the other scenario of where someones status and experience does and has required to be carried over from state to state/community to community.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Tellahane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222123 by

Tellahane wrote: After awhile of realizing that, came the national standards. Not every state has adopted it yet but there is a curriculum and standard which is usually a higher/harder test that if you pass you can get a license with nothing but the licensing fee in I think 42 of the states that has adopted it right now. For example I also hold a national registry standard for EMT, I can walk into the Missouri office give them my nremt-b card and and a check and they hand me a license without having to go through all the testing because the national standard is a higher standard then most of the states and a level everyone kind of agrees with.

So to put that into a jedi practical statement, it would be the equivalent of the various jedi communities coming together and putting together a list of requirements that everyone agreed on of what makes a knight a knight, a combination of minimums essentially and if someone achieved those minimums could be considered a knight rank in any given community. Now is that likely to happen, no. For 2 big reasons, 1, the chances of everyone agreeing with their different philosophies is probably pretty darn low, and 2. The "title" and "label" of knight has different responsibilities and roles within each community, it would be hard to just let someone in and assume they are going to instantly pick up those responsibilities if they are focused on another community of their own.

I do not want to sound hard.. but some stuff to back your theory up. :side: I remember I have asked for a poll a good wile back, Br. John himself made it happening. (Not expected that he would, still was fun to see :blush:)

Like a dream come true! 5 9.6%
I support! 11 21.2%
I am neutral! 20 38.5%
I do not support! 12 23.1%
I do not support at all! 4 7.7%
Total number of voters: 52

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jediism/107956-jediism-connect-multiple-communitys-and-orders-please-read-every-post-bevore-posting

Tellahane wrote: ,,"label" of knight has different responsibilities and roles within each community, it would be hard to just let someone in and assume they are going to instantly pick up those responsibilities if they are focused on another community of their own.''

So you say that one community rank can not be compared with a other community rank? Can fully agree with that :)

Back to very experienced Jedi Steen, want to take part in the process according to his topic title. He asked where he should where in he should begin. I am not sure if I can add something because I already made my point in previous posts.. But if I may ask you, how do you like to see yourself in several years? What would you improve on a personal level?
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago #222124 by Edan

Tellahane wrote:

Edan wrote: This thread, and the thread about rank, makes me think that say, martial arts masters, must practice the basics. Why is it a problem to do so on a Jedi forum too?

I don't think that what I'm about to put here will hold much ground, but I'm going to throw out another real world example of something, and see what people think about it.

So in the world of emergency medical services, there are usually 3 basic licenses at the state level. Emt-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Paramedic. Here in Illinois I'm a licensed EMT-I and I'm a licensed EMT-B in wisconsin. For a period of time those who lived close to two states, in order to work from one state to the next, lets say since I live close to the indiana border if I wanted to also go work at a job in indiana as an intermediate, I have to not only re-test, but I have to re go through practicals and prove that I can do all the interventions I'm trained for. This was the way it was for majority of the states up until a few years ago.

After awhile there was a problem of if you wanted licensed in multiple states having to do this over and over every couple years, while helpful if you were really working 2 or more jobs where you had to have licenses in multiple states you are already getting enough hands on experience, and have to do renewal practicals anyway every year that its deemed excessive to have to continue to do that.(It was also cost prohibitive, it required testing equipment you had to have those qualified to teach present to do the testing, it can consume 8-20 hours per person to go through it all depending on license level, and your doing it once a year per job you have annually anyway in addition to that testing, there just wasn't enough staff around to constantly do that when that staff could be teaching other new students and then the cost for the actual sessions were very expensive too(in some cases for paramedics it can be as high as $1,000 for national registry level sessions).

After awhile of realizing that, came the national standards. Not every state has adopted it yet but there is a curriculum and standard which is usually a higher/harder test that if you pass you can get a license with nothing but the licensing fee in I think 42 of the states that has adopted it right now. For example I also hold a national registry standard for EMT, I can walk into the Missouri office give them my nremt-b card and and a check and they hand me a license without having to go through all the testing because the national standard is a higher standard then most of the states and a level everyone kind of agrees with.

So I don't see anything like that happening soon, but I did want to give a valid example for the other scenario of where someones status and experience does and has required to be carried over from state to state/community to community.

I'm wondering if I didn't word myself very well... I'm not saying that the 'basics' need to be agreed by everyone although I would imagine that for most groups the basics would be very similar... I was only suggesting that in other areas where practice is required, I would think that most would not be afraid of practising [whatever they consider to be] the basics...

I'll give you an example.. I play the piano reasonably well.. but even I still practise arpeggios and scales to remind myself.. go back to simpler pieces to provide a groundwork for more complicated ones. I see going back to basics as a good way to keep the ground on which you build everything else strong.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi