Taking Part in the Process...As an experienced Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221390 by
Seems to me that the best place to start is always at the beginning :3

I rose to 3rd degree blackbelt and then started in a slightly different style, it was refreshing to wear the white belt again :) Sometimes being at the beginning can give your fresh eyes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221413 by
The past is the past.

What would you say to those that know nothing of the Jedi path in the last 2 decades?

They will only judge you as you are presently, and if all that will ever amount to is tales of the past, well, I myself have been on this path quite a long time now, and even in my case, I would rather be judged by my present actions, then past writings.

If only because one time, someone quoted a lecture I had written ten years ago in regards to something I had said presently, calling me a hypocrite, etc. To which I simply replied that my path is ever changing and evolving, and so, who I am today is not who I was ten years ago, nor should I be measured by that, nor would I want to be. Are you not be different from your past writings, thoughts, and actions? If not, then that in itself needs to be addressed.

I always question people who can only speak in the past tense of actions, or experiences. By and large it speaks of stagnation, as if your have no new stories, or experiences, present ones, or are not making any, then you are not growing.

You are proud of your past obviously. Still, I see no reason why you feel it should afford you any leeway on present actions and experiences. Some, may not even go back half of half that far, and for many of us that do...Well, speaking for myself, I simply dont care.

You are attached to the past in what seems to be an unhealthy way.

I have no interest in what someone once did.

I have no interest in what someone will do.

I am interested in what they are doing NOW.

Thats worth talking about.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221414 by

Khaos wrote: The past is the past.
They will only judge you as you are presently

Though I could agree with that opinion, I can not agree with your opinion. :blush: I have to mention that the Temple of the Jedi Order is bound to rules, and how good a persons intentions may be, I think that it would not change the policy. Judgement is not only based on how we are, but also on where we stand on the ladder. How unfair this may sound to some.. Please correct me if I tell rubbish, it will be appreciated by me. :)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221416 by

Aqua wrote:

Khaos wrote: The past is the past.
They will only judge you as you are presently

Though I could agree with that opinion, I can not agree with your opinion. :blush: I have to mention that the Temple of the Jedi Order is bound to rules, and how good a persons intentions may be, I think that it would not change the policy. Judgement is not only based on how we are, but also on where we stand on the ladder. How unfair this may sound to some.. Please correct me if I tell rubbish, it will be appreciated by me. :)

You have completely lost me on what your trying to convey.

Intentions are all well and good, but the road to hell is paved with them so im told.

Actions will always speak louder than words, and results will always say more than intentions about an individual.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221418 by
I think he means influence here is directly correlated to what rank you have.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221424 by OB1Shinobi
that would depend on what one means by "influence"

if you want the title or the "authority" then do the work that is set out for earning it

if you want to be some kind of positive influence then do your best to learn from others and to participate in a way that gets people to think

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221427 by
Letting someone skip ahead in rank because of what they have said in the past (when they refused to take the full commitment) sets a dangerous precedent, in my opinion. Will someone who has written books of theory in the past be allowed to skip ahead to Bishop or to the Council based on the same standards? Will we let them train newbies? Many people have had the same ideas about life for as long as the internet has been around. Do they all get bumped to the top? How frightening to suddenly have strangers coming in and taking over an organization where you've pledged your loyalty and trust for years!

There is something to be said for the length of the journey, for proving your sincerity over time. I don't think past writings should be considered at all.

...said the mighty novice, whose opinion is worth as much as what is circling the bottom of her coffee cup xD

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago #221429 by Jestor
Not being a part of the community does not mean that someone has not been following "the path"...

It means that: 1. We brought no prejudice toward other members or sites out there... 2. It means to us, our ideas are new and this is exciting... 3. And, the lack of "acceptance of what IS" and the "intolerance toward others" is flabbergasting if you think about it... lol...

++++++++++
A common thing I see "old guard" members say, is "ugh, I've done all this!"

One of the first things I discuss with apprentices, is how we have changed throughout our lives...

How a book/movie/subject will mean different things to you at different points in your life...

The movie Madagascar was great, as an adult, there are some adult jokes we missed as kids...

I see things in movies I miss, (such as the Twilight line in the other thread), and catch things I've missed, all the time....

Who doesn't like learning something new? Lol...

++++++++++
I agree with Khaos...

"Who are you today?"

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221433 by
Our definition of Jedi here doesn't include opportunities for learning being a "waste of time".

More
8 years 2 months ago #221434 by Loudzoo
Streen - I for one would love to read and learn from what you would write in your IP and Apprenticeship journals :) I don't know what your time constraints are like but I can't imagine the IP would take you that long . . . and I'm sure you'd have a lot of flexibility in an Apprenticeship to pursue studies that would be entirely consistent with where you are at now. I apologise for my short-sightedness but I can't see what you'd have to lose!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi