Taking Part in the Process...As an experienced Jedi

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221467 by OB1Shinobi
right after the new movie was out and we had like 10000 new people, i logged on and went to latest posts and it was Cabur Senaar (im sorry if i didnt spell that right) ALL THE WAY DOWN THE PAGE, greeting new members, most of whom havent posted since

elizibeth will go weeks without posting in forum but youll see her constantly greeting new comers

same with several others

Edan and Adder probably are still PMing new members, just like they PMd me a year ago when i started posting here

kamizu makes stuff to auction off

which another member (Reliah iirc?) bought, also to help the temple (and because the box was lovely of course)

not long ago someone found something in the IP to be inaccessible so he just reformatted it or something - just up and made it easier for everyone else to read, no one asked him, he just up and did it to be helpful

a while back someone started a topic where they said their life was miserable, one oftheir problems was that they were poor

well, one of the members here responded by saying she was a financial advisor or financial planner or something, and the she just offered her services to help him out if he wanted - just "hey im willing to work to help your life get better even though i know you cant pay me for it"

severl times ive seen people offer to volunteer their technical computer knowledge to help the temple

i dont know how much ever comes out of those

but it always seemed to me when i saw these things that the people who were doing them did them because they really value this community, and they want to participate in the proccess of totjo in a positive and contributing way

nothing to do with rank and nothing to do with being recognized for their "experience as jedi"

everything to do with affection for the temple to the point of being willing to make EFFORT

to WORK

and thats it, i think ive reached my posting limit for this thread

i'll work on that brevity thing as soon as i get the tact thing figured out

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan, Breeze el Tierno, Loudzoo,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221470 by

Just because so and so does such and such....dosn't give us the right to respond with "It dosn't matter." (Because A: It is such a negative response and B: It does matter - to a point obviously.)

I have as much right to say it doesnt matter as he has in saying it does.

The difference is, I am not resting on my laurels to make my point.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221487 by

Jestor wrote: Text environment, lol..

It sucks!

Why does it sucks? Words that are written do not change in a post. (One could replace the words though). It will enable the reader to be reminded, even if the reader has forgotten that what was written out. I enjoy text environment because of that.
If experienced Jedi Streen would write a IP, Journal, or whatever he would do, I will be thankful to be able to read it. But my opinion would not matter anyway, his journal would be open, and would allow experienced Jedi Streen to read it himself too, a personal Journal helps to think back to whatever he discovers or feels. It could help him mind about how he changed in opinion if he would do. Text environment is able to give us that what a live environment would not.
Though I fully understand that it can be lots more difficult to face a stranger in a live environment for those who are not used in doing so.
~~~

~ Aqua

Offtopic: about the ladder thing ..

Connor L. wrote: I think he means influence here is directly correlated to what rank you have.

Correct, that was what I thought. Guess I made a mess of picking my words, somehow I always do.. Sorry :unsure:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221545 by

Streen wrote: I've had a lot to think about today. Jestor has made me aware of certain things, facts that I had overlooked, understanding the conflict I was inducing my posting links to other Jedi sites. This post really isn't even about that, but the underlying truth is, I could be doing much more good here if I were to truly became involved and stop fighting the system. You could say that the old expression applies: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Not that I felt I was in competition with TOTJO, but I certainly wasn't an ally either. Which brings me to my question...

As a man who's been following the Jedi path for roughly 18 years, if I were to truly join TOTJO, follow the rules, rise through the ranks, where in the world would I begin? I can prove my experience, specifically with all my writings and my history, with references, etc. Not that I'm trying to take the easy route by skipping past certain assignments or whatever, but I felt that some things would be redundant or even a waste of time. I may be making assumptions on this, but I wouldn't really know.

So, can anyone give me some advice?

I genuinly love the IP , i think i will do it in another few years just to see how i have evolved , i like the things you write , i like the way you reach out and present possibilities to this community. Your writings and history are very valueble to me. I am a complete Novice , i dont even know that much about Star Wars :S The Temple and all other communities on the web are valueble , some even for showing us what a Jedi should not be . My reason for staying here is because i find it welcoming and loving and i can be of service here. That is a feeling inside that can make me proceed, finish the Ip go on my way.

If you are pondering over this descision it means you are thinking about it, something touched your heart and now you have to figure out what you want , really want, this has little to do with rank and more with your hearts desire , choose wise ,i wish you wisdom and Strenght a lot of the Force , what ever you decide , it will be good ....it WILL be good :)

Ow ,..and i love Jestor he really knows exactly to make us wonder about our motives , good one haha

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago #221553 by Jestor

Aqua wrote:

Jestor wrote: Text environment, lol..

It sucks!

Why does it sucks? Words that are written do not change in a post. (One could replace the words though). It will enable the reader to be reminded, even if the reader has forgotten that what was written out. I enjoy text environment because of that.

Well, specifically, I mean that "text" does not allow the "give and take" of a conversation... The inflection and body language that also helps to define a conversation, is lost.... :)

There is the confusion from usingva word incorrectly by non-english-as-a-first-laguage-ers... ;).. This one is easily forgiveness, lol, and understandable...

And, as I said recently, and Khaos alluded to in this thread, words are "static" and just like a computer, they begin to age the moment they are captured... Same with a picture, or any physical object....

Today, I think "x", tomorrow, with more knowledge and consideration, "z"... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221555 by
Oo.. .. Body language is lost indeed.. We do have smileys at the forum, but they do not work as fine as a body. I find text environment useful because I can alter it if I make a mistake for example. I do it a lot, many posts of my have edits..

Normal speech will give less trouble with understanding, how could I not think about that sooner. :blink: I do like talking, please do not get me wrong about that! :side: I enjoy both.. They have both advantages and disadvantages. Thank you for explaining my question.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221564 by

Aqua wrote: Oo.. .. Body language is lost indeed.. We do have smileys at the forum, but they do not work as fine as a body.

I have a real problem at portraying my intentions. Often times they get viewed as a negative instead of a positive or just thinking. Used to be I wouldn't use smilies....people suggested that I try it. So I did....now people tell me I use them too much and it makes my posts appear smug and conceded....

In the end there is no pleasing people XD haha :laugh: I would hope that, as Jedi, we would infer the posative in peoples textual words and not the negative.....not so simple though.

Text is a mixed bag. But so is real life....I am alot more shy and inwards in real life and have just as much an issue portraying my thoughts in real life as I do in text.

Streen's post for example....I did not take it as a "Let me skip ahead and be viewed as a Master"

I took it as "Where do I begin?"

Just because he's been around TOTJO off and on dosn't mean he really focused on the process of things.

I could be wrong. But it shows how text can be interpreted on two completely separate ends of the scale :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221566 by

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Aqua wrote: Oo.. .. Body language is lost indeed.. We do have smileys at the forum, but they do not work as fine as a body.

I have a real problem at portraying my intentions.
Often times they get viewed as a negative instead of a positive or just thinking. Used to be I wouldn't use smilies....people suggested that I try it. So I did....now people tell me I use them too much and it makes my posts appear smug and conceded....

In the end there is no pleasing people XD haha :laugh: I would hope that, as Jedi, we would infer the posative in peoples textual words and not the negative.....not so simple though.

Text is a mixed bag. But so is real life....I am alot more shy and inwards in real life and have just as much an issue portraying my thoughts in real life as I do in text.

Streen's post for example....I did not take it as a "Let me skip ahead and be viewed as a Master"

Just because he's been around TOTJO off and on dosn't mean he really focused on the process of things.

I could be wrong. But it shows how text can be interpreted on two completely separate ends of the scale :)

If you see your quote, I have highlighted some things that draw my attention.

You are viewed as negative, and positive at the same time by different people. I do not know how shy you are, but if you like using smileys, you should do it. If you do not like using smileys, you should not do it.
In the end, it all depends what you would like to do. I myself can not please every person, even if I would.. I do care what people think, I do care what people think of me.. But if I would not feel comfortable with it myself, I would not do it.
I would support you whatever side you would choose in displaying your text, with or without smileys. Please, just make sure you feel comfortable with it. It would make me feel comfortable too :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221568 by

Aqua wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

I have a real problem at portraying my intentions.
Often times they get viewed as a negative instead of a positive or just thinking. Used to be I wouldn't use smilies....people suggested that I try it. So I did....now people tell me I use them too much and it makes my posts appear smug and conceded....

If you see your quote, I have highlighted some things that draw my attention.

You are viewed as negative, and positive at the same time by different people. I do not know how shy you are, but if you like using smileys, you should do it. If you do not like using smileys, you should not do it.
In the end, it all depends what you would like to do. I myself can not please every person, even if I would.. I do care what people think, I do care what people think of me.. But if I would not feel comfortable with it myself, I would not do it.
I would support you whatever side you would choose in displaying your text, with or without smileys. Please, just make sure you feel comfortable with it. It would make me feel comfortable too :)

Attachment h9131a3c.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221798 by
I had no idea that my post would generate such reactions, but let me clarify some things...

I'm not asking to be made a Master. Personally I don't believe in "Jedi Masters". "Mentor" would be a better word, but I don't expect to be labeled as such officially here without doing some work. My main question was simply, "How much work do I have to do to get there?" It's been suggested to me by a certain member that I could try starting from the very beginning, but the thought of that honestly makes me feel weary. It's not laziness. People who might imply that it is don't know what I've been through or what I've seen and experienced over the past 20 years.

What I'd like to do is prove that I am capable of much more than being an apprentice. It's a little hard to claim that title while at the same time mentoring someone (yes, I currently have a student at Jediism Way). I would think that a place like TOTJO would bend certain rules when there are many people out there who have been Jedi much longer than this site has even existed.

If not, oh well. I'll go on teaching as I always have. I'm not saying all this for my own benefit anyway. I want to help. That's all.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi