Taking Part in the Process...As an experienced Jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221363 by
I've had a lot to think about today. Jestor has made me aware of certain things, facts that I had overlooked, understanding the conflict I was inducing my posting links to other Jedi sites. This post really isn't even about that, but the underlying truth is, I could be doing much more good here if I were to truly became involved and stop fighting the system. You could say that the old expression applies: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Not that I felt I was in competition with TOTJO, but I certainly wasn't an ally either. Which brings me to my question...

As a man who's been following the Jedi path for roughly 18 years, if I were to truly join TOTJO, follow the rules, rise through the ranks, where in the world would I begin? I can prove my experience, specifically with all my writings and my history, with references, etc. Not that I'm trying to take the easy route by skipping past certain assignments or whatever, but I felt that some things would be redundant or even a waste of time. I may be making assumptions on this, but I wouldn't really know.

So, can anyone give me some advice?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221365 by
As one in the exact same position

All I have to say is this: You lose nothing by participating.

Some very new groups are popping up without any care or second thoughts as to what they effect on others. They just want their fingers in the pie and instead of participating and sharing the pie, they stole it all.

There are many many MANY Things here at TOTJO that I am not in favor with or think could be done better. However....I lose nothing by showing my support and participating.

Yea...I've been around since 1998-ish
Yea... I have gone through the whole > Initiate > Apprentice > Knight and even Council Member role several times in my days.

Dosn't mean I can't humble myself to do it again and support the groups that are still active an alive.

A Jedi Seeks Knowledge and Training.

Whats your next move?

More
8 years 2 months ago #221366 by Br. John
This is not a perfect system. It's improved over time and with the input of many thoughtful and dedicated people. I'm confident it will continue to improve. I look forward to you being a part of this.

Someone could graduate from Harvard Law School with Honors. They could practice law for 20 years in New York then serve as a judge on the state supreme court there for 10 years. They decide to move to Texas and want to open a law practice. To get a licence to be a lawyer in Texas they still have to pass the Texas Bar Exam (which unfortunately does not cover how to make a perfect vodka martini).

I have a feeling things will work out much better than what you're imagining. Much better.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Loudzoo,

More
8 years 2 months ago #221370 by Gisteron
What is it that a rank gives you that you otherwise wouldn't have? Sure, if you want internal privileges, like access to particular subforums and organisatory rights, those are tied to your TOTJO internal credentials. If you want to preach or to wed on behalf of TOTJO, that too is not something you get to do without holding the approval of TOTJO. Would you feel like more of a Jedi for being part of this particular church and do you feel at all inferior for not being? And if it is all the same, then why bother taking that route? I mean, if you like to, by all means, go ahead. It just sounds like for not being able to compete you now feel obliged to join and I'm curious why you feel those to be the only two options. Your effect on the world is a function of your investment in it, and while your oaths and accomplishments may motivate you to part of them, at the end of the day who you are and what you do is more out there than in here and even in here rank is a formal indicator, not a measure of how much you invest or contribute to the community. Now, again, if you just want to join up, and your inability to compete with a place this large is more of an excuse than a motivator for it, by all means, please, join. Take a seat, grab a cookie. Welcome.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan, Loudzoo,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221371 by

Br. John wrote: This is not a perfect system. It's improved over time and with the input of many thoughtful and dedicated people. I'm confident it will continue to improve. I look forward to you being a part of this.

Someone could graduate from Harvard Law School with Honors. They could practice law for 20 years in New York then serve as a judge on the state supreme court there for 10 years. They decide to move to Texas and want to open a law practice. To get a licence to be a lawyer in Texas they still have to pass the Texas Bar Exam (which unfortunately does not cover how to make a perfect vodka martini).

I have a feeling things will work out much better than what you're imagining. Much better.

Dear master John, I have told it before, a good wile back. I find this system a pearl of the internet. ;)
The temple using only words brings a community together, with a strong leadership ofcource. This temple is able to have open discussions without much trouble, I have seen communities with only trouble.. communities that only cry and bring hard words on even the lightest discussion. Even if this is not a 'perfect' system, I would not have it otherwise. This site and system is a piece of art that is able to do what it is intended to do. I find that near perfect eh?

streen wrote: As a man who's been following the Jedi path for roughly 18 years, if I were to truly join TOTJO, follow the rules, rise through the ranks, where in the world would I begin? I can prove my experience, specifically with all my writings and my history, with references, etc. Not that I'm trying to take the easy route

To say that every master will always be a student, no person is to old or to young to learn. If I may give my opinion, master John, learning is not only about Jediism, it also learns about and with the community in doing so.
I find it important that high ranked members are well known in the community. We learn from each other, The fact that all Jedi Knights have been trough a lot to learn about Jediism and the community improves their quality of teaching as well. Improved learning will result in a healthy temple.
Jediism at the temple in my eyes is equal important as the community itself. If not, who would teach Jediism?

I am thankful that TOTJO will be improved, may the force guide you all,

~ Aqua :blush:

More
8 years 2 months ago #221373 by Proteus
Where to begin?

Ditch the care about ranks.
Discard the concern for proving experience.

Asses the real reason you are here. What is it you care about most regarding your path.

Go from there.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Manu, Gisteron, Avalon, , OB1Shinobi, TheDude and 3 other people also said thanks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221374 by
Sometimes it is good to start at the beginning. And undergo a bit of new training. Perhaps your head needs softening. Stand on it for a bit lol.

Nothing is ever perfect you can eather help and make it better or you can sit and watch, eather way it will happen. Which part do you wish to play?

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #221378 by OB1Shinobi
i started my own study of what it means to be a jedi many many, years ago, as an individual
not associated with any groups and not assuming to myself the title of MASTER or LORD or any such thing - JEDI was (and IS) quite enough of a challenge

though i might come across as a know-it-all, i am and will always be, a padawan

and i have much much more to learn than i do to teach and regardless of how my online persona is interpreted, i accept this fact happily, and sincerely hope that i never get so confident in my own wisdom that i forget it

i do not expect to be addressed as anything more prestigious than an equal (one who may or may not be making sense at the given moment)

obviously i cant speak for totjo, im just sharing my own personal response here in the hope that its relevance to OP is understood

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Loudzoo, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221380 by
Warning: Spoiler!

I would like to ask a small question streen, If I am allowed to ask ofcource :blush: Is there some written history of that what you have been doing, websites posts, some kind of journals we could read. Just would like to know you a little bit better whatever the outcome of this topic would be. Do you have verification of any kind?

I could understand that you do not like to answer, or that you do not have, I have no problems with that. No worries :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #221389 by

Aqua wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

I would like to ask a small question streen, If I am allowed to ask ofcource :blush: Is there some written history of that what you have been doing, websites posts, some kind of journals we could read. Just would like to know you a little bit better whatever the outcome of this topic would be. Do you have verification of any kind?

I could understand that you do not like to answer, or that you do not have, I have no problems with that. No worries :)

hehe.....He has a ton XD And if he is wiling to share...Id love to know this answer as well. I have several of his old writings at Just Jedi....but would LOVE to add to the library.

If...your willing...Streen ;) Message me!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi