Taking Part in the Process...As an experienced Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #222125 by
I agree with Edan. I keep coming back to this:

tzb wrote: Our definition of Jedi here doesn't include opportunities for learning being a "waste of time".

The idea that repeating study is (ever) a waste just proves the point that not all definitions of "Experienced Jedi" are equal. See also the many Knights and Masters here who repeat the IP regularly.

Returning to our foundations is not only useful, it is essential. It keeps us honest. It helps us relate to those working through it for the first time. It allows us to pour our paths back into our study - what I take from those texts now runs far deeper than what I found in them first time out.

It stops us declaring ourselves "great Jedi" because we feel we've "got there". I believe the best Jedi never "get there". They continue their journey.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #222127 by Br. John
If Streen completed the IP and was my Apprentice there'd be no re-inventing the wheel. The IP is a golden opportunity for Streen to contribute by his review and critique of it. The IP is not an indoctrination. He can argue and editorialize on the merits or explain why some parts are not good. He can say why something should be changed, eliminated or added. And anyone doing the IP is urged to do this and know that it's fine do disagree as long as you support your position.

If Streen were my Apprentice his assignments would mostly be exactly what he's wanting to do. Much of the work would things like posting a lecture on an agreed topic with questions and answers from Members and Guests. Creating an assignment for another Knight's Apprentice (with the OK of the teaching Knight). Teaching a group seminar on an agreed topic. See where I'm going?

Without breaking or bending the rules (we'll walk right through the middle of them) Streen's wish is GRANTED. I'm delighted to have the chance to work with him on this.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #222147 by

Br. John wrote: If Streen completed the IP and was my Apprentice there'd be no re-inventing the wheel. The IP is a golden opportunity for Streen to contribute by his review and critique of it. The IP is not an indoctrination. He can argue and editorialize on the merits or explain why some parts are not good. He can say why something should be changed, eliminated or added. And anyone doing the IP is urged to do this and know that it's fine do disagree as long as you support your position.

This is exactly what I was doing before life adjusted my priorities and took my TotJO time away. So I feel this sums it up best out of all these posts. I am sure if Streen and I laid down our Jedi Resumes we would have very comparable items length. There is something to be said for experience, sure. As pointed out by a few people, there is often assessment tests to avoid redundant education from happening. This is done as a way to avoid wasting resources (time and energy of instructors being one of those resources). And there are very easy ways to do this across Jedi sites (not that most sites want that). Much easier to do with Jedi of Streen's experience level as well to.

However as pointed out by Br. John - you can go through the program in any manner you wish. Heck, even I was having fun doing so. You can explore the familiar or new concepts as you see fit. And what do you lose in doing so? Time that could be better spent? That is an issue of priorities and that needs to be examined first. Because reviewing foundational material is always worthwhile. No matter one's experience level.

Point and fact - You cannot be a Mentor at ANY Jedi Organization without a clear and firm understanding of their training material. This doesn't take away from one's ability, experience, and knowledge as a Jedi Mentor in general. But if one is going to teach and guide at a specific Organization then they need to know the core materials being taught and encouraged. Likewise the Organization must know that any Mentor has that understanding. And what better way is there than to watch the person go through said foundational material? Seems a simple matter to me. Want to help and teach and guide here? Know our materials. Still to prove by going through them.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #222573 by

tzb wrote: Our definition of Jedi here doesn't include opportunities for learning being a "waste of time".

What you don't realize is that this isn't my first rodeo. I actually have started from the beginning, many times, just not publicly here at TOTJO. I do understand where you're coming from though. When I said it would be a "waste of time" I didn't mean to imply that I've already learned all I need to learn. Far from it. I know I have a LOT more to learn. But the lessons in the IP are things I've gone through, not just in my personal studies, but also in college. Therefore, asking someone to train me on these topics would be a waste of time for them.

Returning to our foundations is not only useful, it is essential. It keeps us honest. It helps us relate to those working through it for the first time. It allows us to pour our paths back into our study - what I take from those texts now runs far deeper than what I found in them first time out.

I couldn't agree more! :laugh: What I've done often is going back to books I read 10 to 15 years ago and reading lessons that make so much more sense now than they did the first time through. I've even gone back to the internet location where I started my path, which was an RP chat room, some 19 years ago. A man named Gedi, who created a site called Jedi Lore (one of the first Jedi sites to exist), used to teach that one's origin is incredibly important. I took that lesson to heart and never forgot it. I teach it to all my apprentices, to remember where they started, how they came to the Jed path, and how crucial it to go back to it once in a while to have perspective.

It stops us declaring ourselves "great Jedi" because we feel we've "got there". I believe the best Jedi never "get there". They continue their journey.

I am far from "great", and I have never "got there", though there are many "gets": points along the path when you know you've accomplished something spiritually. I am, however, an incredibly flawed person, but teaching others improves who I am. On the other hand though, there is never an end to the journey. Progress continues on infinitely. I've written on this topic at my site, JEDI Philosophy.

Being a mentor is my reason for living (no exaggeration). Which is why I started this thread. I feel the Force has called me to do more. I would not have made the OP if I didn't believe that. This is right for me, not out of ego, but of faith.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #222578 by
Dearest experienced Jedi streen,

IP answers are not good or bad. If you explain why you do not answer it is possible. All can if you explain, knights will seek what is missing. You Will change, all will be happy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #222589 by

Aqua wrote: Dearest experienced Jedi streen,

IP answers are not good or bad. If you explain why you do not answer it is possible.[strike] All [/strike] IP can, if you explain, it can be done in several ways. Knights will seek what is missing. You will get room to [strike]Will[/strike] change it, and all will be happy.

At moment of writing I was on my phone, tried to keep it short for time issues. Ehm.. not a good idea of me to do, so made edit. :lol:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223057 by
Thank you, Aqua :) In an agreement with Br. John, I am going through the IP now. I feel I should apologize for implying it might have been a "waste of time". It's actually proved to be rather interesting and educational (not to mention challenging), even if much of it I already had experience in.

And that word... "experienced"... was not a wise choice. I have experienced a lot as a Jedi, but I used it like a title, and that was a mistake. I made it sound like I think I am above other people just because of my experience, and nothing could be further from the truth.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223084 by

Streen wrote: Thank you, Aqua :) In an agreement with Br. John, I am going through the IP now. I feel I should apologize for implying it might have been a "waste of time". It's actually proved to be rather interesting and educational (not to mention challenging), even if much of it I already had experience in.

And that word... "experienced"... was not a wise choice. I have experienced a lot as a Jedi, but I used it like a title, and that was a mistake. I made it sound like I think I am above other people just because of my experience, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Dearest experienced Jedi Streen,

Thank you for your time and patience with all people, I am thankful that you have considered all possibilities carefully. And that you make your choice about the word I loved to use for you. I answer as you answer, and like to say that I read your IP journal with much joy. Please continue with it as long as you like, I enjoy with you.

From this day to my last I shall acknowledge you as 'Streen', I hope you are not angry at me, because I did call you different before. So for that I would like to say that I am sorry for doing, sometimes things must be done in the way they are done. Hope that you will forgive me for doing and that you will face a great apprenticeship with Br. John if you choose to continue your path.

Bend, Absorb, Reflect,
May you shine with the force Jedi Streen,

~ Aqua

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223127 by

Opie Macleod wrote: As pointed out by a few people, there is often assessment tests to avoid redundant education from happening. This is done as a way to avoid wasting resources (time and energy of instructors being one of those resources). And there are very easy ways to do this across Jedi sites (not that most sites want that). Much easier to do with Jedi of Streen's experience level as well to.

I would like to playfully draw a circle around the Initiate's Program as this exact test everyone is looking for... the willingness to go through it as well as the time requirement, etc... also, the potential for realization that there might be new, golden lotuses of information that haven't been covered yet...

my circle is made of animal crackers and Twizzlers candy. Don't step on the camels, they break easily :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #223514 by

Aqua wrote: From this day to my last I shall acknowledge you as 'Streen', I hope you are not angry at me, because I did call you different before. So for that I would like to say that I am sorry for doing, sometimes things must be done in the way they are done. Hope that you will forgive me for doing and that you will face a great apprenticeship with Br. John if you choose to continue your path.

You're forgiven :D It's perfectly alright. I deserved what you said, because it made me realize how highly I was thinking of myself. Your acknowledgement of it was humbling, so I thank you for that!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi