Reintroducing the Crystal code.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159360 by
Replied by on topic Reintroducing the Crystal code.

Arcade wrote:
I did read your post before responding, Aqua. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I thought they were beautifully expressed and it's great that you've taken so much from the Crystal Code.

My post wasn't a commentary against the clear truth that the Code has value for some people. I was only saying that I didn't personally find it a beneficial part of my studies. To me, it felt out of place in the IP - in large part because (I felt) the same concepts were conveyed in simpler and more accessible terms in other lessons.

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what the Code teaches... and, as I said, I fully recognize that people learn in different ways... so I really don't have an opinion on whether or not it should be part of the IP again.

I have not worked my way through all of the IP, but I did go and read through your lesson Aqua. I am in agreement with Arcade on this - I don't see the value of adding it to the IP as it is a Star Wars universe creation, and I try to keep the SW side of Jediism as far away as possible. I think that the IP does a good job of stepping back from the SW universe, and exploring the real-world aspects of religion that Lucas used as his inspiration for the fictional Jedi.

RyuJin wrote: It's one of those lessons that not everyone takes value from because they aren't ready for it...we each have different perspectives and are at different spiritual,emotional, and psychological points of development...

Maybe someone (such as myself) doesn't see the value in it because it is not a part of my journey. You make it sound as if everyone will get to a point where they will be ready to understand this avenue of reasoning, but I don't think that it is a matter of "you must understand this to be a Jedi" which is what it sounds like you, and Aqua are trying to say.

For me, the lesson that I have related the most with was "Mind Walk". I know that not everyone will not see it's value, but for me, it was "AHA! That's what I've been trying to put words to!"

As Arcade said, I think that other parts of the IP covered the same material, at least in my perspective. There is a circular rationale to this existence, and you (Aqua) seemed to have found that understanding through The Crystal Code, and that's awesome! I got to that understanding through The Three Tenents. It just goes to show you that we all learn differently and relate to things differently.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 7 months ago #159362 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Reintroducing the Crystal code.
I find the crystal code rather cheap. The Jedi code is 27 years old and the updates it got since then (additional line, "yet" form) are quite good. When it comes to good food for thoughts any of the Franklin or La Rochefoucauld maxims would do a far nicer job in the IP. Want symbolism? What about the bindi.... etc

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159365 by

Kaverael wrote:

Arcade wrote:
I did read your post before responding, Aqua. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I thought they were beautifully expressed and it's great that you've taken so much from the Crystal Code.

My post wasn't a commentary against the clear truth that the Code has value for some people. I was only saying that I didn't personally find it a beneficial part of my studies. To me, it felt out of place in the IP - in large part because (I felt) the same concepts were conveyed in simpler and more accessible terms in other lessons.

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what the Code teaches... and, as I said, I fully recognize that people learn in different ways... so I really don't have an opinion on whether or not it should be part of the IP again.

I have not worked my way through all of the IP, but I did go and read through your lesson Aqua. I am in agreement with Arcade on this - I don't see the value of adding it to the IP as it is a Star Wars universe creation, and I try to keep the SW side of Jediism as far away as possible. I think that the IP does a good job of stepping back from the SW universe, and exploring the real-world aspects of religion that Lucas used as his inspiration for the fictional Jedi.

RyuJin wrote: It's one of those lessons that not everyone takes value from because they aren't ready for it...we each have different perspectives and are at different spiritual,emotional, and psychological points of development...

Maybe someone (such as myself) doesn't see the value in it because it is not a part of my journey. You make it sound as if everyone will get to a point where they will be ready to understand this avenue of reasoning, but I don't think that it is a matter of "you must understand this to be a Jedi" which is what it sounds like you, and Aqua are trying to say.

For me, the lesson that I have related the most with was "Mind Walk". I know that not everyone will not see it's value, but for me, it was "AHA! That's what I've been trying to put words to!"

As Arcade said, I think that other parts of the IP covered the same material, at least in my perspective. There is a circular rationale to this existence, and you (Aqua) seemed to have found that understanding through The Crystal Code, and that's awesome! I got to that understanding through The Three Tenents. It just goes to show you that we all learn differently and relate to things differently.

First of all, thank you for your opinion about this

Now to the point, Star Wars is about myth.. I see it as a translation of myth and I see much similarity in Star wars and Jediism. However, that it must be separated does not mean that we do not share the same origin*. I might be a bit risky to say, but how do you explain the history of the order if you ignore Star Wars in every possible way? Even if you say it has some connection, I do not understand why you are so motivated to stay away of Star Wars in connection with Jediism.

It has a universal origin, it developed different. But trying to stay away from it as far as possible is as nearly denying the origin of Jediism.. If it is risky, or if I need to be corrected in my words, be clearly and open because is see the discussion as a lovely lesson for everybody. :side:

Second point I want to make. I did not mention Star wars with the Crystal code. I see the words like Sword and Crystal as a symbol, or as Joseph Campbell said.. ,,We use myth to translate.'' We live in a world, a world where Jediism and star wars were created. Means we share both the same symbols.

To say that the symbols are based of star wars, is as asking if the whole world came from star wars. See it in a larger picture. The symbols can be found in Jediism. The symbols can be found Star wars, movies, ancient civilisations and nearly any way of expression. We even communicate with symbols, think of letters, sounds and emotions..

Symbols seen in star wars are come from the history of our own civilisations. Think what you wish to think of it..

Crystal code stand besides Star wars and has no direct connection with it beside the fact that it could be a star wars fan made code, but I would love to see the prove of it. :woohoo:

* In case of question: with the same origin I mean that both are build up of the same interpretation and influence of myth and philosophical ideas found on earths civilisations.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159366 by

ren wrote: I find the crystal code rather cheap. The Jedi code is 27 years old and the updates it got since then (additional line, "yet" form) are quite good. When it comes to good food for thoughts any of the Franklin or La Rochefoucauld maxims would do a far nicer job in the IP. Want symbolism? What about the bindi.... etc

Call it cheap, call it a code of 27 Years vs a code of xx years..

Time does not matter, the Jedi code is ones made for the Star Wars saga, does it give more importance to you if it is from Star Wars directly or from a Fan made person? It is behind the lesson that is within the code, every dream we have, every thought we have.. It is all true in her own perspective. It is how you relate it with your own understanding that gives it the importance..
Now call it sceap, call it 27 years old ;) I do not see any difference between the two codes that makes it more or less cheap.

I do not want symbols, I want the story behind it and I can find it with help of myth and symbols I think. The Crystal code gives me a way to bind multiple understandings together. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159380 by
forgive my intrusion and my words if they offend...Some do not find the path of Jedism as a path of purity...There are those who recongnize without evil there can be no good. As a Grey Jedi sometimes I have a hard time expressing ideas without sounding like a Sith but for some being a Jedi does not mean banishing your demons but instead understanding them and controling them and even using them to make yourself stronger..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159382 by
Also the reason for staying away from Star Wars in reference to Jedism is for the fact that people think that as a Jedi you must think you can move things with the Force or shoot lightning out of your fingertips...While Im sure many of us have tried such feats alas no one has been able to discover how to do such things lol...I do find it a folly to stray away from the Jedi in the Star Wars mythology because their are so many lessons one can learn just from reading the books. I hold no rank here yet in real life Ive had padawans that have gone on to do many great things. I have found a many great people here on this site but in the end that is all it is just a site. A Jedi needs not the acceptance of their peers...Again I hold no rank here but still have people refer to me as a Jedi Master.. There are many paths to becoming a Jedi and there are alot of places that can help you understand things that might question of the force but the truth of the matter is simple...The Force is either with you or it isnt..If something or someone doesnt like something you think is important when learning about the Force then please by all means when you think yourself strong enough in the Force to teach pass this lesson on.. Knowledge is knowledge no matter where it comes from

More
9 years 7 months ago #159386 by Zenchi
A lot has been said in this thread, and passion has been the source for much of it, nothing wrong there. What has been left out of this discussion however is the Prime reason I believe many have fought to put as much space between the Faith of Jediism, and the Movies, which includes all material covered within the Star Wars mythos.

The Huffington post, along with an incredible long line of others has and continues to describe Jediism as "The Religion of Star Wars." It kinda sucks the legitimacy out of what we're trying to achieve here, which is a genuine and credible religion/path that is centered around the betterment of the self, and thus the world around us...

Very few see Jediism as separate from Star Wars. Even fewer coming here see this site as anything more than a fan site. The vast majority of them will never dig deep enough to learn about Alan Watts, or Joseph Campbell. Nor will they bother to invest any serious amount of time to discover the real historic roots behind the Jedi, did you know there were any? How many will make the connection to Buddhism, Taoism,or the principles forged from the Bushido, or the Samurai?

The last thing many of us want to do is take this religion, and this Temple backwards, and make the same mistakes that helped to bring down other sites dedicated to Jediism. That to me is why this site is still active and thriving...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Amaya, Edan,

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159388 by Adder
If it did get steam behind it, and I'm not suggesting it has, then it could be grouped with other similar non-SW short pieces as either 'choose the one which resonates' or a comparison across them. That, and being buried in the IP, would help mitigate the fandomitis in the heel of Jediism.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #159412 by
Zenchi: ,,The last thing many of us want to do is take this religion, and this Temple backwards, and make the same mistakes that helped to bring down other sites dedicated to Jediism. That to me is why this site is still active and thriving... ''

I do not want to bring the temple backwards, I am with the temple and her philosophy. ''Religion as connecting backward.''
Is for me like understanding the roots to understand how the tree grows. To say we grow without seeing the roots..

The whole point of this Idea was to understand how the community was thinking beyond the code, realising that multiple people only see the big cloud around the code, not yet aware of the value inside it. Saying that the value can be found over multiple codes and teachings is true I guess, as opposite meaning for the Crystal Code.

The last thing I want to accomplish with this thread it to split the temple in two parts, If I understand the message. I did not understand the post of Adder, I am sorry. But guessing that he is trying to say it in his own way. ( not sure )

Only thing I hope to gain with this thread it to talk in harmony.

,,There is no Chaos, there is Harmony''

Let us debate as one body, one temple.. and find one solution. At his point I should say that most of the people is against the idea. Second I do not see a window in changing the minds that are already with the opposite of this idea with the Crystal Code.

May the force be with us,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #159413 by
I don't find any significant personal benefit in the Crystal Code and would be against its reinsertion into the IP, when there is so much which I do feel has immediate value to new walkers of our path (the TTC for an easy example).

But I'm glad we're discussing it :)

People are free to write about whatever they find value and meaning in when posting to their journals. Also teaching masters are free to set and create lessons around any subject they find meaningful. But the IP is a central thread of core ideas and principles which "initiate" someone onto the path as prescribed by this Temple. Speaking personally, I don't feel the Crystal Code adds anything to that.

At best it might be thought-provoking for some. At worst it reintroduces another possible role-play style confusion. As others have said, I'm against any additional "Starwarsification" of this path, not against using the myths and their lessons (as will hopefully be evident shortly in the course I'm putting together) but against adopting more of the stuff which serves fictional people who fight with lightsabers and can move things with their minds, and not real people engaged in creating harmony in the real world. There are other Temples out there for people who want that sort of stuff and that's a major reason I chose this one.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi