Reintroducing the Crystal code.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159171 by
Replied by on topic Reintroducing the Crystal code.
I am certainly a big fan of the sword symbolism as anyone here who knows me well would attest. One look at my avatar will show it as well.

Much of sword mythology is about what the sword represents as a symbol, what it means to the person carrying it, or how it can and should be used. It is rarely about the object itself.

The sword is a strong metaphor. It can represent duality in the world (see " Satsujinken and Katsujinken ") or consider the expression "doubled-edged sword" when referring to a dichotomy. It can represent an honor or rank the way military generals carry swords in dress uniform. Samurai, ninja, and many martial arts treat the sword as an extension of the body. It can represent the application of justice, as it is often seen being wielded by statues of Lady Justice inside or out of courtrooms. In Christianity, the Archangel Michael is often depicted with a sword as a symbol of righteousness and a sword also guards the entrance to Edan. As an alchemical symbol, it is used to represent purity as it can cut away impurity as a surgical knife would remove a tumor.

Cultures throughout the world over time have identified with the sword and its various meanings as a symbol. It has become nearly universally recognized as something more than metal. More than a simple tool or weapon.

While I agree with the philosophy represented by the Crystal Code, I personally find it too specifically linked to the light saber of itself. The Crystal Code refers to many of the same symbols, philosophies and principles stated above, but it does so by referring to a specific part of the light saber and what it means to Jedi in the world of Star Wars fiction.

There is certainly value in referencing it and discussing it, but I typically find that it is hard to relate to if you are not familiar with the Star Wars reference.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #159220 by

Senan wrote: I am certainly a big fan of the sword symbolism as anyone here who knows me well would attest. One look at my avatar will show it as well.

Much of sword mythology is about what the sword represents as a symbol, what it means to the person carrying it, or how it can and should be used. It is rarely about the object itself.

The sword is a strong metaphor. It can represent duality in the world (see " Satsujinken and Katsujinken ") or consider the expression "doubled-edged sword" when referring to a dichotomy. It can represent an honor or rank the way military generals carry swords in dress uniform. Samurai, ninja, and many martial arts treat the sword as an extension of the body. It can represent the application of justice, as it is often seen being wielded by statues of Lady Justice inside or out of courtrooms. In Christianity, the Archangel Michael is often depicted with a sword as a symbol of righteousness and a sword also guards the entrance to Edan. As an alchemical symbol, it is used to represent purity as it can cut away impurity as a surgical knife would remove a tumor.

Cultures throughout the world over time have identified with the sword and its various meanings as a symbol. It has become nearly universally recognized as something more than metal. More than a simple tool or weapon.

While I agree with the philosophy represented by the Crystal Code, I personally find it too specifically linked to the light saber of itself. The Crystal Code refers to many of the same symbols, philosophies and principles stated above, but it does so by referring to a specific part of the light saber and what it means to Jedi in the world of Star Wars fiction.

There is certainly value in referencing it and discussing it, but I typically find that it is hard to relate to if you are not familiar with the Star Wars reference.

:,,referring to a specific part of the lightsaber ''

A crown has a crystal in it, the ring has a crystal in it, I see of it that the lightsaber is based on other mythology where crystals were seen as an object of purity by adding a crystal to it.
You could see it as an star wars thing, you could see it like star wars is duplicating other myth what is very normal in movies.

I would suggest to see the crystal within a sword, not as star wars. But as the purity of the weapon due to the fact that the sword is the extension of the owner, is given the symbolic meaning that part of the owner makes the choice of duality but that there is a crystal in every person.. Jediism, purity in the way of balance.
I could be a beautiful way of thinking, but find your own truth and consider my words as how you wish. :blush:

The crystal code shows us the relation between the physical and the mental. A lesson that I consider a fundament hidden in the Crystal code.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

More
9 years 6 months ago #159221 by Adder
It was in the IP in late 2011 when I did it, but my answer was pretty hopeless :(

Now, I'd say that I find the sword a metaphor for 'conduct', and the crystal crystal being 'view' - together they represent mindful action. More discreetly they relate to the relationship one has with being engaged as a Jedi to ensure this blade remains lit. The beauty of having things like this in the program is they really do allow people to monitor how their view's change over time because they are so subjective.... perhaps we all should do the IP in writing every few years or so
:ohmy: :S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159225 by
It was in the IP when I did it too and if anything teaches us that there are no right or wrong answers but only our interpretation then it's surely the Crystal Code!

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #159261 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Reintroducing the Crystal code.

Aqua wrote: ,,referring to a specific part of the lightsaber ''

A crown has a crystal in it, the ring has a crystal in it, I see of it that the lightsaber is based on other mythology where crystals were seen as an object of purity by adding a crystal to it.
You could see it as an star wars thing, you could see it like star wars is duplicating other myth what is very normal in movies.

I would suggest to see the crystal within a sword, not as star wars. But as the purity of the weapon due to the fact that the sword is the extension of the owner, is given the symbolic meaning that part of the owner makes the choice of duality but that there is a crystal in every person.. Jediism, purity in the way of balance.
I could be a beautiful way of thinking, but find your own truth and consider my words as how you wish. :blush:

The crystal code shows us the relation between the physical and the mental. A lesson that I consider a fundament hidden in the Crystal code.

But here you're jumping from symbolism to symbolism. If you wanted to discuss the symbolism of crystals in the IP, then that's one thing. But to go from lightsaber crystals to real world symbolism of crystals I think is too far of a stretch for basic studies for anyone who doesn't care about or understand Star Wars and the history of the fictional Jedi. Additionally, there are only a few crystals (quarts being the one off the top of my head) that stand for purity. Each precious and semi-precious stones have their own meaning and with anything involving symbolism, the meanings can vary and only few have anything to do with balance. Studying the symbolism of crystals is extensive and drowning for anyone not already interested in it.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Kit.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #159266 by
Please don't hate me, Aqua :), but I really dislike the Crystal Code. Of all the assignments I did for the IP, I found the one on the Crystal Code the least compelling and the Code itself seemed convoluted and unintuitive. Despite eventually coming to a personal understanding of the Code, I didn't take much from it. I wrote in my journal that it wasn't a particularly effective teaching tool for me because the way it's presented is not compatible with the way my mind processes and interprets information, and even looking back on it now (through new eyes) still feel this is true.

I also felt as though the Crystal Code was slightly redundant in terms of its overlap with other material in the IP. I liked the essay on 'The Sword' and think I took from that what some might have taken from the Crystal Code. But people learn in different ways, so I'm not suggesting that the Crystal Code should not be returned to the IP - just expressing a differing perspective.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159271 by

Arcade wrote: Please don't hate me, Aqua :), but I really dislike the Crystal Code. Of all the assignments I did for the IP, I found the one on the Crystal Code the least compelling and the Code itself seemed convoluted and unintuitive. Despite eventually coming to a personal understanding of the Code, I didn't take much from it. I wrote in my journal that it wasn't a particularly effective teaching tool for me because the way it's presented is not compatible with the way my mind processes and interprets information, and even looking back on it now (through new eyes) still feel this is true.

I also felt as though the Crystal Code was slightly redundant in terms of its overlap with other material in the IP. I liked the essay on 'The Sword' and think I took from that what some might have taken from the Crystal Code. But people learn in different ways, so I'm not suggesting that the Crystal Code should not be returned to the IP - just expressing a differing perspective.

Please do not ask me if I hate you, I love you as if you are part of me ~ How can I hate myself? :woohoo: ~

Now about you understanding of the code ;) , I have to ask if you have read my lesson in my journal -click on this link-

If you have read it, and still believes the Crystal code is not for the IP, Then I shall accept your opinion ;)

Please do not feel sad because you are honest with your words. <3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159281 by

Aqua wrote: I have to ask if you have read my lesson in my journal -click on this link-

I did read your post before responding, Aqua. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I thought they were beautifully expressed and it's great that you've taken so much from the Crystal Code.

My post wasn't a commentary against the clear truth that the Code has value for some people. I was only saying that I didn't personally find it a beneficial part of my studies. To me, it felt out of place in the IP - in large part because (I felt) the same concepts were conveyed in simpler and more accessible terms in other lessons.

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what the Code teaches... and, as I said, I fully recognize that people learn in different ways... so I really don't have an opinion on whether or not it should be part of the IP again.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159284 by

Arcade wrote:

Aqua wrote: I have to ask if you have read my lesson in my journal -click on this link-

I did read your post before responding, Aqua. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I thought they were beautifully expressed and it's great that you've taken so much from the Crystal Code.

My post wasn't a commentary against the clear truth that the Code has value for some people. I was only saying that I didn't personally find it a beneficial part of my studies. To me, it felt out of place in the IP - in large part because (I felt) the same concepts were conveyed in simpler and more accessible terms in other lessons.

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what the Code teaches... and, as I said, I fully recognize that people learn in different ways... so I really don't have an opinion on whether or not it should be part of the IP again.

A neutral meaning, and a clear way of speaking you are full with surprises to me, the post I made was not an attack about that your way of learning.. If I did offended you I am sorry. Thank you for being so understanding towards me. :)

Guess we can choose neutral, even if the request was with or against the idea.. Love the out of the box thinking very inspiring thoughts :)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 6 months ago #159286 by RyuJin
It's one of those lessons that not everyone takes value from because they aren't ready for it...we each have different perspectives and are at different spiritual,emotional, and psychological points of development...and sometimes it's better when used to demonstrate a lesson rather than as a lesson of its own...when I first trained as a jedi ages ago the jedi code didn't exist...none of the written fiction did...the crystal code is less than a decade old (I think) but I still saw the immediate value in it when I did the ip...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi