What would help the Temple Be A Better Place? Suggestions please...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290996 by

Edan wrote:

SamThift wrote: Show me somewhere I can find a solid PayPal link, and I'd probably kick a few dollars towards the Temple itself from time to time.

Just sayin.

You mean this one which is linked at the top of every page under the title 'donate'?

Well played sir. Never said I was great at recognizing things staring me in the face.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #291569 by Nakis
Something that, I really hope I'm not on already broken earth, I think might be useful is more encouragement to bring forth more material and to use people's creativity.

For example, many students are interested in lightsaber forms or martial arts, there is a great deal of crossover with many schools of martial arts. I think that when a student comes forward and says they are interested, it would be nice to see them have excellent resources, but also to utilize that creativity. I see people working on the newsletter, on their sermons, and on so much more, but I wonder if there are more ways to help encourage people.

For example, and I really do apologize because one of the unfortunate/fortunate sidebars we do have is that whole Star Wars thing, Yoda's preferred lightsaber form is "Form Zero." Form Zero is based around not using your lightsaber, I.E. diplomacy. I think it would be really cool that when someone shows interest, it becomes a challenge to help them create more from it.

In this example, I would suggest the student would learn about footwork in martial arts, but also do a study on escalation/deescalation in arguments and do a video/recording/essay on it. If the production is good enough, or if the Temple so desires, it can be added to the TOTJO youtube channel for more people to read and understand more from. While it's not an official teaching episode, it's a collaborative effort that can result in personal investment and the generation of documents/lessons/sermons/teachings that can be invaluable to the Temple and those following us. Again, it's something that can help form an official lesson, not serve inherently as an official lesson. The raw material that can become a true gem.

Long story short, I think it'd be really neat to take people's interest and begin cultivating it. You have so many people who pop up and say "Hey, I really like the idea of being a Jedi Guardian." I think it'd be cool to say "Hey, while we don't have that as an official ideology, you seem interested in the martial aspects of life, let's use your gusto and generate some more videos and bring their knowledge and passion into something for the Temple to spread and acknowledge. I think bringing more collaboration and spreading that information would be most useful. I know that's happening on some level, but I think if some more permanence is developed, it could really help keep and generate passion and commitment that can help form a stronger and stronger base to grow from.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ZealotX

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #291575 by

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #291581 by steamboat28
Nakis' post

This would be a great project for Knights, since we typically limit the teaching to that rank and above.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 8 months ago #291590 by MadHatter

steamboat28 wrote:

Nakis' post

This would be a great project for Knights, since we typically limit the teaching to that rank and above.

Anyone can create material for Temple use and submit it for official approval to the council. I created a lesson that was given to be used for the after care program with Leah. I created a book that was submited for the library. There is nothing stopping anything from creating these materials and offering them up for use as far as I know. I think the fear of it being considered teaching could be part of what halts it.

With that in mind could we have clarification on what qualifies as teaching? Even if loosely?

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #293480 by Yugen
This is more about curriculum than the temple itself.. but here I go

1. Make the Initiate's programme more about practical application than cryptic messages or supposed "between the lines" meaning
As much as I enjoy Alan Watts or Joseph Campbell, I have struggled to put together entries on every part and chapter of their materials, and while I understand that it gives an understanding of the works Jediism is based upon, only later does the Initiate's programme touch on Jediism itself and a little on actual practical application. Theory is only useful if it can be put into application, one way or another. I will touch on youths later, but believe me, being a young person and trying to write an elaborate essay on how the world is your body can prove to be difficult. I'm not saying make it easier, I'm saying make it less cryptic, show what Jediism is and what it is all about rather than hide behind cryptic and mystic messages.

2 If you are going to have a youth forum, then have people (knights especially) look into it every once and a while, so youths do not feel isolated or are left to ponder over their entries and if they are "good enough"
We used to have a rather active youth forum, then we didn't anymore. I believe this was because instead of having the Thank You's and replies present in the normal Journal forum, we have absolute silence aside from the occasional post, which has lead to youth journal entries not being challenged the slightest, preventing growth and place for improvement. Which has lead to disinterest in even posting at all, not speaking strictly for myself.

3. Trash the favoritism
There is a favoritism on TOTJO, and if you deny it then you haven't experienced it yourself. Some people being elevated and recieve feedback other novices could only dream of. Don't say that there isn't content to feedback, there is. Respond equally to all novices or don't reply at all.

That's all I can think of right now, feel free to message me if you want clarification or post it here, I am more than willing to elaborate or clarify my suggestions

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Yugen.

More
6 years 7 months ago #293482 by Edan

Yugen wrote: 2 If you are going to have a youth forum, then have people (knights especially) look into it every once and a while, so youths do not feel isolated or are left to ponder over their entries and if they are "good enough"
We used to have a rather active youth forum, then we didn't anymore. I believe this was because instead of having the Thank You's and replies present in the normal Journal forum, we have absolute silence aside from the occasional post, which has lead to youth journal entries not being challenged the slightest, preventing growth and place for improvement. Which has lead to disinterest in even posting at all, not speaking strictly for myself.

Were you there when I was a youth officer? If yes, was the kind of thing I was doing useful, with the different thread suggestions? I tried to encourage discussion (though sometimes it was hard!)... I can't see in there now (I am no longer youth officer) but it would be worth petitioning the council and current youth officer. They are the ones that can currently post there.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
6 years 7 months ago #293483 by Yugen

Edan wrote:

Yugen wrote: 2 If you are going to have a youth forum, then have people (knights especially) look into it every once and a while, so youths do not feel isolated or are left to ponder over their entries and if they are "good enough"

Were you there when I was a youth officer? If yes, was the kind of thing I was doing useful, with the different thread suggestions? I tried to encourage discussion (though sometimes it was hard!)... I can't see in there now (I am no longer youth officer) but it would be worth petitioning the council and current youth officer. They are the ones that can currently post there.

I was there, I had the username Bareus then. What you did was very helpful, Edan. And I also enjoyed the feedback both you and Jestor gave me when I felt unsure of my entries, nostalgia aside, I think the youth forum has somewhat been forgotten.

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #293484 by
Unfortunately Knights do not have access to the Youth forum. I'm not saying that should remain the case, but if you feel we neglect the Youths, that's the (only) reason.

I was keen to be a youth officer in the past but it would've required a £60 criminal record check at my own expense.

More
6 years 7 months ago #293485 by Rosalyn J
Hiya,

I was really touched by your response here Yugen. I am going to place it on the agenda for the Knights meeting and we will discuss it there. For point #1 there are some knights working on a revision of the IP to address some of your concerns there, make it more practical as well as more original (totjo material). It will have to pass through Council. To your point #2 I think there is certainly some merit. Most knights do not have access to the Youth forum. The people who have access are Youth officers and councillors but maybe that can change with the proper clearance. We want to keep our youth safe, but as you say, we also don't want them to be isolated. To point #3. We have the IP team which was created to provide the feedback you are speaking about, but maybe that can be expanded or we can look at a different or another way of doing this so that no one feels left out. As I said, I'd like to bring this to the Knights for tomorrow's meeting. Thank you for your feedback

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi