• User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #170149 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rants far and wide
well, I guess if you assumed it was about you *shrug*

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170150 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide
:huh: You've really gone off the deep end, haven't you? *sigh* Ok. Have a good day.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #170153 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rants far and wide

Connor L. wrote: :huh: You've really gone off the deep end, haven't you? *sigh* Ok. Have a good day.

Well well. Now isn't this looking familiar.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 4 months ago #170159 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rants far and wide
If you fight, you break the rules of the thread. This thread is for non-harmful rants, like how I'm really angry at (undisclosed candy company) for making it so that my peanut butter cups always get stuck to the packaging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170160 by
I'm bummed when I put a lot of effort into my work and it doesn't seem to be appreciated by those who I present it to.

More
9 years 4 months ago #170162 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Rants far and wide
ok, here goes: last week, I received a letter written by one of my students (or rather: his dad). He accuses me of all kinds of shortcomings in my lessons (e.g. that it usually takes me 3-6 weeks (!!) to return tests, that he wants more difficult / elaborate tests, that he hasn't been able to develop a feel for the language because I explain too much in German, that I don't give enough homework and if I do I don't follow up on it in the next lesson, that I never prepare my lessons etc.). This letter also went to our headmaster, demanding a talk. Now I should perhaps say that the particular student was asked to leave a week earlier because he didn't have his books along and, as a consequence, received an unexcused absence. So the whole things was some sort of (remarkably well constructed) revenge plot. Turns out, his dad is a teacher himself and knows where to hit so it hurts.

That particular student gets fairly decent grades, but has a clear problem with his behavior in class. There's absolutely no participation on his side, he never says a word (to the class / me, that is - he spends his entire time chatting with his neighbor). He can reproduce well but never produces anything - as soon as I demand some sort of more elaborate piece of work during class, he stops working altogehter. The allegations are largely ridiculous and don't contain a single piece of constructive criticism. I've had this particular class for 2 1/2 years now and none of them ever complained and during our regular feedback sessions none of the above has ever been mentioned by anyone, including that particular student.

Anyway, I know this is just one of the around 180 students I have in various classes and complaints aren't frequent. I pride myself in working with and listening to student wishes. If that person had a real problem, he could have come to me years ago and we would have found a solution in no time. The issue now is, however, that I have to invest countless hours in meticulously reconstructing the last 2 1/2 years with this class for the headmaster, including every single date when I returned tests, the entire classroom preparation etc. I have to compile a dossier with all the info - this'll take me at least 15 hours of work (which, in turn, I don't have for preparation). This leaves me a bit helpless - there's nothing I can do (short of hiring a lawyer because the student, or his dad, are trying to destroy my good reputation), so I'm complying. This whole matter interfers with my work, my private life, even my meditation. I know I shouldn't take it this seriously, but I've worked as a teacher for only 5 years and have never been confronted with anything like it and thus don't really know how to handle things well. I'm relatively shure the whole thing will resolve itself in that upcoming talk and I'm more than willing to work with the student to resolve the discrepancies of perspective we're apparently having, but it still worries me to no extent.

Anyway, this was it - just typing this makes me feel better.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 4 months ago #170168 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Rants far and wide

Jamie Stick wrote: I'm bummed when I put a lot of effort into my work and it doesn't seem to be appreciated by those who I present it to.

plussed,

or when they complain yet do not have anything better to offer, and then when given an opportunity, they only do a half-arsed job.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170177 by

Connor L. wrote: :huh: You've really gone off the deep end, haven't you? *sigh* Ok. Have a good day.

Connor, if you thought something was about you then you ought to have asked for clarification first before coming to a conclusion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170195 by
Sure, that's very true. My statement was unconnected to her response. It's all good. I've blocked Brenna on all my social media. I'm not going to engage her for a while.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170199 by
I really freaked myself out this morning.

Needles and medically prescribed self-injection below:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi