Rants far and wide

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169810 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide

Brenna wrote: On a basic level, the problem is that focusing on the "being angry", makes you angry. When you rant, one of two things might happen. It may be a sense of “flapping” as Jestor likes to call it, a release of excess energy that reduces the feeling of anger and irritations. (which frankly is more effective when done in physical activity rather than mental)

Or (and more commonly)

The process of ranting helps to strengthen the trigger/response mechanism about a particular topic. Essentially, the more you rant about a thing or topic, the more likely you are to get angry about it in the future because you’ve reinforced a thought pattern and its subsequent physiological and emotional response.

A study done last year at the Department of Human Development, University of Wisconsin on the rise of “ranting sites” stated “Decades of research have shown that venting, far from releasing anger, actually makes it worse. Not surprisingly, this study has shown that online ranting seems to increase anger and is associated with anger-related problems.”

From a personal perspective, being angry is more often than not my primary response when I feel out of control. Whether it’s when dealing with people (who are being dumbasses!) or circumstances (which really don’t friggen work for me!). The experience of being angry and ranting gives me a false sense that I’m “doing” something about it. Almost as though the significance of my anger is the same as taking action. And all it does is raise my cortisol and sensitize the trigger for the next time my mind recognizes a situation and puts it in the category of “getting pissed in 3…2…1..”

Which is why at the time, ranting feels good because youre “doing something” about it. But in the long term makes it easier to get angry, and less likely that you'll investigate the underlying issue.

This is a great TED Talk Vusuki posted a few days ago. Based on the information in the TED Talk what seems to be the biggest issue for ranting is neural plasticity, where someone can basically form connections in their brain over a certain issue (like whatever they rant about) and then by reinforcing that through persistent exposure just end up making it worse.

At any rate it's worth a watch :)

That gives all the more meaning to the Buddha's saying: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #169823 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide

Akkarin wrote:

Brenna wrote: On a basic level, the problem is that focusing on the "being angry", makes you angry. When you rant, one of two things might happen. It may be a sense of “flapping” as Jestor likes to call it, a release of excess energy that reduces the feeling of anger and irritations. (which frankly is more effective when done in physical activity rather than mental)

Or (and more commonly)

The process of ranting helps to strengthen the trigger/response mechanism about a particular topic. Essentially, the more you rant about a thing or topic, the more likely you are to get angry about it in the future because you’ve reinforced a thought pattern and its subsequent physiological and emotional response.

A study done last year at the Department of Human Development, University of Wisconsin on the rise of “ranting sites” stated “Decades of research have shown that venting, far from releasing anger, actually makes it worse. Not surprisingly, this study has shown that online ranting seems to increase anger and is associated with anger-related problems.”

From a personal perspective, being angry is more often than not my primary response when I feel out of control. Whether it’s when dealing with people (who are being dumbasses!) or circumstances (which really don’t friggen work for me!). The experience of being angry and ranting gives me a false sense that I’m “doing” something about it. Almost as though the significance of my anger is the same as taking action. And all it does is raise my cortisol and sensitize the trigger for the next time my mind recognizes a situation and puts it in the category of “getting pissed in 3…2…1..”

Which is why at the time, ranting feels good because youre “doing something” about it. But in the long term makes it easier to get angry, and less likely that you'll investigate the underlying issue.

This is a great TED Talk Vusuki posted a few days ago. Based on the information in the TED Talk what seems to be the biggest issue for ranting is neural plasticity, where someone can basically form connections in their brain over a certain issue (like whatever they rant about) and then by reinforcing that through persistent exposure just end up making it worse.

That gives all the more meaning to the Buddha's saying: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

You say that and no link?

Thats bull... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
9 years 5 months ago #169824 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Rants far and wide
Not 'bull' precisely ... just a little lazy, maybe ... :P

Here ye go :

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/108614-tedtalk-titled-discover-the-three-keys-of-gratitude-to-unlock-your-happiest-life#168566

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169835 by

Jestor wrote: You say that and no link?

Thats bull... lol...

Lol my bad, thanks Alex :D

More
9 years 5 months ago #169841 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:Rants far and wide
Ok here's my rant: took my Toyota rav4 for some warranty work yesterday. Now all of a sudden the entire back end of the car is rattling/thumping making all kinds of terrible noise and the dealership is refusing to find out what they did wrong. My car has been absolutely perfect up until yesterday. Just shy of 60,000 miles and has been great. So yeah I'm a bit grouchy after the phone call to the dealer. *sigh

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #169902 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rants far and wide

Akkarin wrote: This is a great TED Talk Vusuki posted a few days ago. Based on the information in the TED Talk what seems to be the biggest issue for ranting is neural plasticity, where someone can basically form connections in their brain over a certain issue (like whatever they rant about) and then by reinforcing that through persistent exposure just end up making it worse.

Yes. This!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170121 by
GAHHH. Sometimes people can be so infuriatingly selfish. -___-

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #170123 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rants far and wide
GAAAAAH I hate it when people are condescending and demanding and then act like its your fault somehow

:evil: :woohoo: :silly: :P

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 5 months ago #170125 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Rants far and wide
I really love it when its melting hot outside and I have to go do gardening.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 5 months ago #170126 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rants far and wide
HULK WANT CHOCOLATE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi