Rants far and wide

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #169707 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide

Kitsu Tails wrote: For me, It is a wonderful release to simply spit out whats troubling me in a safe and supportive environment and then let me move on. I think it is more harmful to stagnant yourself and your emotions rather than constructively letting it go.

Acting on it by ranting isn't the same as letting it go, but rather the opposite.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #169708 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Rants far and wide

Kitsu Tails wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

Brenna wrote: “... Not surprisingly, this study has shown that online ranting seems to increase anger and is associated with anger-related problems.”

That's probably because you don't get to throw things at people on the Internet. Trust me, if there were a universal law that forced you to install a USB-powered Nerf turret , a webcam, and remote trigger software with every Internet connection, I think this would no longer be the case. Imagine the healing power of being so angry at someone that their computer takes a picture of it shooting them in the nose with a foam dart and then emails it to you.

*Giggles*

Personally I am not a fan of basing human emotion and behaviors on "Studies" For some people it may not be helpful and may just cause more problems. For me, It is a wonderful release to simply spit out whats troubling me in a safe and supportive environment and then let me move on. I think it is more harmful to stagnant yourself and your emotions rather than constructively letting it go.

LOL

"studies" haha. you're so funny.

However, from what you've written I'm not sure you actually got what I am saying. The "studies" discuss the concept of catharsis as a poor method of anger management. Nowhere did I or those "studies" advocate suppression. Catharsis is also a very different concept to verbalization on issues with a view to resolution.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 4 months ago #169710 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rants far and wide

Oneiros wrote: Acting on it by ranting isn't the same as letting it go, but rather the opposite.

In your opinion. Which is not fact.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 4 months ago #169716 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Rants far and wide
I just hate it when people complain about someone else's thread.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #169718 by

ren wrote: I just hate it when people complain about someone else's thread.

Ah...hahaha...I see what ya did there.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 4 months ago #169719 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote: This is a church isn't it? With supposed bishops and Religious heads, yes? So why not open up a "Confessions" e-mail where you can constructively rant out your troubles to someone supposedly certified to handle such things?

Theres not an email (i dont think...) but most people use PM or skype to talk to the clergy when they need to. Though, they dont let you just spew, some actually expect you to work on doing something about it :D

"supposedly certified to handle such things" - care to elaborate?

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 4 months ago #169731 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide
There is an email address...

Or was...

I'm looking to see if its still active....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #169732 by

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote: This is a church isn't it? With supposed bishops and Religious heads, yes? So why not open up a "Confessions" e-mail where you can constructively rant out your troubles to someone supposedly certified to handle such things?

Theres not an email (i dont think...) but most people use PM or skype to talk to the clergy when they need to. Though, they dont let you just spew, some actually expect you to work on doing something about it :D

Which is why i was making it a suggestion.

What is there to elaborate on? I am pretty sure my words were quite clear. But as you wish.

Supposedly = According to what is generally assumed or believed IE: I am not sure as I am just a novice here and don't know the manners of religious order and actions here at TotJO.

Certified = Trained to aide in counseling/priest/confession

....to handle such things. (See Certified)

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #169733 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

What is there to elaborate on? I am pretty sure my words were quite clear. But as you wish.

Supposedly = According to what is generally assumed or believed IE: I am not sure as I am just a novice here and don't know the manners of religious order and actions here at TotJO.

*nod* makes sense.

So you feel that speaking with someone who is certified in counseling training is potentially a good method of helping people deal with emotional stuff?

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Brenna.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #169735 by

Brenna wrote:

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

*nod* makes sense.

So you feel that speaking with someone who is certified in counseling training is potentially a good method of helping people deal with emotional stuff?

Yes. And so do many others.... since you know, Counseling and priests who take confessions are quite common. Speaking for myself, yes. I do.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi