Can you have a relationship with someone and still be a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343879 by
No the Jedi never kidnapped people! they took orphans or gave their kids better lives and a good strong upbringing. besides there is no Extended universe anymore. Its legends now and not cannon like the Jedi are. so maybe there are legends of Jedi doing this but those are told by bad people that dont like them!

I think a true jedi should not have attachements but love all uniformly. there are lots of people that do this and get great power from it. preists here on this planet do this and they become the only ones to get rid of sin. I want true jedi power in this way.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343880 by Rex
Why do you think this? (Not the movie stuff)
What power do you think we have?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 6 months ago #343883 by Manu

Fyxe wrote: I think a true jedi should not have attachements but love all uniformly. there are lots of people that do this and get great power from it.

Name one of these “lots of people”, and explain what power they have. Maybe we can get a better idea of what you mean.

Priests don’t count. They are as flawed as any of us, they do not love unconditionally, and they do not get rid of sin (God does that in the Christian traditions)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343884 by
wait? i never said unconditionally and i not sure why you would think even if you did that it means you must be perfect??!! why would you be perfect?

I never said unconditional though, I said uniform like they love everyone the same but none specifically. and priests do count! why would they not count? the dont have relationships and the do absolve sin. you just go to a priest and confess and they will forgive you for god. This is a power they have that others dont.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343888 by JamesSand
Why don't we have both?

Or rather, you've just come around to your original question anyway - Can you love someone (or someones), and also love everything (or at least, something grander and less focussed on individuals), without a conflict?

If you're lucky, maybe.

Will there be conflict? Most likely.

Perhaps you see (whatever quality you're chasing) as...lets say "Being polite to everyone"

One day, you're out with someone you love, and someone confronts them....chance of conflict here - your identity requires you be polite to everyone, but your love requires that you stand your ground against your love's opponent...what to do what to do...

It's a minor example, you can have whatever example you like, perhaps you are sworn to law, but your mate steals a car - I really don't care about the endless possible hypotheticals

Priests (being as vague as I like here, as I'm not sure the term has been well defined for this conversation) are more or less sworn to Gods truth, which, depending on where you read about it, might include Love of all of God's creation, and perhaps in more practical terms, a level of pastoral care for a specific group of peopple - Priests as often as not, do have human love interests, and they have to find a way to balance those two worlds.

Ask any pastor's partner - I'm sure they hate the 2am phone calls when they are trying to sleep, but the person they love has sworn to serve others....

Now, some of them might not do that, some of them might feel better service to the almighty involves abstaining from everything, shunning the human condition, and wearing the silliest hats they can find.

I don't really care either way, it's up to you to determine what is the better path for yourself, and how you want to manage your time and existence in this world.

*broadly speaking* Jediism favours are more...pragmatic view of the world, and most (not all) of those who follow the path acknowledge you have to be a part of the world, and trying to "rise above it" and be some guru on a mountain top is unlikely to serve anyone well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343891 by
well ya that would not be the case because I would never be with anyone that could not already defend themselves. The Jedi are not chivalrous like that. Women are Jedi as well! And lots of people practice love in a general sense but not a specific sense to attain enlightenment. I just finished my first lesson and it even talks about it there. It is a sacrifice. So like I mentioned the priests but even some people that Star Wars is based on do this. So I dont see why Jedi here dont practice it? Jains shun relathionships to attain a higher state, Sifi orders do it, no relations was deemed a high rule by Buddha, and hindu munks have rules against it too. So if Im jedi, like a monk warrior, why do they not practice this like in Star Wars? If they dont I dont see them as real Jedi, thats what I mean.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343892 by JamesSand

well ya that would not be the case because I would never be with anyone that could not already defend themselves.

It was a random hypothetical, whether or not the specifics apply to your circumstances matters not the slightest amount.

So like I mentioned the priests but even some people that Star Wars is based on do this. So I dont see why Jedi here dont practice it? Jains shun relathionships to attain a higher state, Sifi orders do it, no relations was deemed a high rule by Buddha, and hindu munks have rules against it too. So if Im jedi, like a monk warrior, why do they not practice this like in Star Wars? If they dont I dont see them as real Jedi, thats what I mean.

If are convinced that you can not have compassion for everyone, and also serve base human desires and needs, it's not my, or anyone elses job to dissuade you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343899 by
As someone who is also learning, I would like to throw in some thoughts.

If we observe the effects of Jedi in relationships in the fiction, yes, many Jedi turn to the Dark Side as a result of something going sour while romantically involved, but just as many Jedi end up turning for entirely unrelated reasons. Others even leave the Order without turning and end up having a safe and healthy relationship. In Luke Skywalker's EU Academy, we see him married (with a son even if I recall?). So the answer to the question fiction wise, to me, is closer to "What do you consider a Jedi to be?". Do you think one needs to be part of the Order to still be a Jedi? Do you consider Luke's EU Academy to be an example of "true Jedi"?

I believe this is pertinent when considering our real world, because similar situations arise. Someone loses themselves to alcohol or other vices after losing a loved one, it's easy to draw a line between abuse of those vices and falling to the Dark Side in fiction. It feels good, but when used too much it becomes detrimental. The relationship itself didn't cause this fall, it's how one chooses to go about life after loss.

I believe this is a personal question that can only really be answered on each Jedi as an individual. Do you personally think you could handle a relationship as a Jedi? Could you stay a Jedi after potentially losing someone that important? In my military experience, I saw many people divorce because they were married to a non-military spouse who thought they knew what they were signing up for... until the soldier was gone for months at a time, and came back for a few weeks only to leave again. This can also happen when asking yourself this question, the answer seems truthful until it becomes the unfavorable experience.

So perhaps the core question at the root is this: is the person you found special enough to risk your way of life for?
Many people here seem to have this answer of it not mattering as much because we don't follow a code like the fictional Jedi, but I propose this: the people who say this have already had to ask themselves this question and understand that this is not a Jedi exclusive problem. Most people have to ask themselves this question for someone at some point.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343901 by Adder
The way I view it is the characters in the fiction are not Jedi, but the most heavily weighted within an allegory for what a real Jedi might/should/could be. They are not ideals to me, nor the messages and actions necessarily literal.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Rex,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343912 by
If they are not ideals then why do you try to be like them? Why do you take their name and call your place a temple and I see all kinds of light sabers around here so...Im confused? I was talking to another person and they told me so many differences I was wondering if there were any similarities between this place and Star Wars Jedi? I mean what is the deal with that?

I see the lack of relationship in my life as the space I need to gain higher consciousness and greater control of powers. I am practicing Jedi powers and I want to master them. If I want to do this I dont see much room for other things like kids or spouse or stuff like that. I want to be like the real Jedi I see in the movies. I thought this place was closer to that? :S

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi