Can you have a relationship with someone and still be a jedi

More
4 years 6 months ago #343846 by steamboat28
Avoiding "attachments" is not the same as avoiding relationships. Jedi avoid attachments because they don't like to allow anything to override their control of their self. People who avoid relationships are just afraid of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Amaya, Kobos, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343855 by For-Emris
Some people, because of love, commit crimes. Actions that harm others. "Go crazy" because of jealousy.
If the Jedi controls himself, and does not allow emotions prevail over mind - he has the right to a relationship.

Love is a manifestation of the Force that unites all living creatures ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343858 by
Well my original comment (before being interrupted) was about this very thing. Can you have a relationship that you can control? It takes two or more right? so you cant control others.. so how do you stop the conflict? I think I want to be a true Jedi and not have any relationships any more. :angry:

More
4 years 6 months ago #343859 by Kohadre

Fyxe wrote: Well my original comment (before being interrupted) was about this very thing. Can you have a relationship that you can control? It takes two or more right? so you cant control others.. so how do you stop the conflict? I think I want to be a true Jedi and not have any relationships any more. :angry:

I admire the resolve to want to become a "true" Jedi, however I think there may be a few things you are overlooking.

Do you remember in the first movie; A New Hope, when the "wise" Obi-wan Kenobi takes Luke to what was essentially a hitman bar? How about afterwards, when he left Luke alone in the mix?

Do you remember the scene where, just about Luke is about to get into a bar fight; Obi-wan preemptively cut's a mans arm clean off?

I'll leave a reference link below as to why Jedi are not the saints commonly thought of. I hope you'll read it and take away a few of the failures the fictional Jedi order made, as lessons to improve upon within your own path.

15 Reasons Why The Jedi Are Bad Guys

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos, Brick, Rex

More
4 years 6 months ago #343860 by Manu

Fyxe wrote: Well my original comment (before being interrupted) was about this very thing. Can you have a relationship that you can control? It takes two or more right? so you cant control others.. so how do you stop the conflict? I think I want to be a true Jedi and not have any relationships any more. :angry:

"To be a Jedi, you must confront and then go beyong the Dark Side of the Force. The side your father couldn't get past".
- Obi-wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker, Dagobah, Return of the Jedi.

Being a true Jedi has nothing to do with avoiding conflict, and everything to do with learning to face it. I know I've grown by leaps and bounds while in a relationship, as they are difficult and as such, provide an opportunity for self-awareness and growth.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos, Brick, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343863 by
Well that page is really just not real. For one thing jedi did not kidnap children!

And conflict cant be confronted if it does not exist. Stay out of relationships does this for you. And then you can spend more time doing other things! I have a desire to develop some of ky jedi power.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343865 by Kohadre

Fyxe wrote: Well that page is really just not real. For one thing jedi did not kidnap children!

And conflict cant be confronted if it does not exist. Stay out of relationships does this for you. And then you can spend more time doing other things! I have a desire to develop some of ky jedi power.

Yes, in fact they did.

The extended universe is chock full of examples in which Jedi kidnap children. Everything mentioned within that link is based off of events that took place within either the prequels, original trilogy, or sequels; or the extended universe which is tied into them.

If you don't want to be in a relationship, that's your choice and right as an individual. However, I would offer the advise that if you are avoiding relationships to "flee" from conflict; conflict will find it's way into other areas of your life.

How will you handle being alone? What will you do to combat the adverse effects of self-imposed isolation?

Do you plan to avoid work, in addition to forsaking romantic / personal relationships? If so, how do you plan to afford yourself the necessities of life? Will you become a farmer?; planting your own crops, and raising your own livestock? Where will you live?; where will you set up your monastic homestead?

On a final note, concerning the ky (qi/chi/psy/psi) power bit of your post; there are many here who have spent years trying to develop psychic abilities. People for centuries have tried to harness what they have seen as the untapped potential of the mind. Nobody within, or outside of this community has been able to develop these abilities to a degree which is reproducible on a consistent basis.

Fiction is fiction for a reason. I would suggest that the time you would spend in pursuit of such abilities, could be used for a more constructive purpose.

I wish you the best of luck on your path.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 6 months ago #343867 by Amaya

Okay first I am wondering exactly what you think a true Jedi is?
And I have to think on your question of control, if your avoiding relationships then you have already lost control of yourself in a way.
If your not learning to deal with and handle the emotional and physical events that arise within a relationship then you will never have any control over yourself. Avoidance isn't control it isn't learning or growth. In life conflict will arise in any type of relationship, will you avoid all of those? Unless you are planning on becoming a monk then at some point you will need to develop skills to deal with conflict.
Life as any sort of Jedi or basic human is about developing lifeskills which include conflict managment and at the heart of my path at least is love. For others, for myself and with love comes conflict. You can't disconnect yourself and still protect or love others because in my opinion disconnection means you cant empathise, your not open to growth to moving forward.
You cant control where conflict will arise but you can learn to manage it gracefully and with respect and love.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 6 months ago #343868 by Carlos.Martinez3

My little brother is the same way and not for the sake of not being able but its the willing thing. He says there's not much for him available and hes ok with that. some people don't need significant others. Some do. I do. I would be a hot mess without mine. then she would be a mess without me either lol.

If that's your choice go for it! what ever reason.. that's ok too!

serious and simple question - ever read love storys? if so which? just wondering.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 6 months ago #343869 by Manu

Fyxe wrote: And conflict cant be confronted if it does not exist. Stay out of relationships does this for you. And then you can spend more time doing other things! I have a desire to develop some of ky jedi power.

Well, if you feel a romantic committed relationship is not for you, then rock on. You should be moving forward in the direction of what you truly want. Just be careful, it's easy to get caught up chasing around a goal that isn't really yours, just because you've somehow internalized that you should do it.

I am curious about all these other things you'll do with your free time. I don't know what you mean when you say "develop some of ky jedi power", but be sure to make a quick pause and ponder what it is you are chasing, and why.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi