Can you have a relationship with someone and still be a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343804 by
Dont Jedi avoid relationships because they cause conflicts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #343805 by Kohadre

Fyxe wrote: Dont Jedi avoid relationships because they cause conflicts?

In fiction, Jedi avoided romantic relationships because of their tendencies to form attachment. Ironically, this is what lead to their eventual downfall and annihilation.

In practical application within the temple community, many Jedi here are in romantic relationships; with a significant number even being married or otherwise in domestic partnerships.

I'd ask as well, is it worth being a Jedi if such a key part of life is forbidden; or otherwise shunned?

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 6 months ago #343808 by Rex

Kohadre wrote:

Fyxe wrote: Dont Jedi avoid relationships because they cause conflicts?

In fiction ...

formatted for emphasis

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

More
4 years 6 months ago #343810 by JamesSand
I don't think it quite prudent to so emphasise the idea of relationships only being a source of conflict within fictional settings.

Anyone who has sworn to do a duty, is very likely to, at some point or another along the line, find a conflict between their desires, or the needs of their "relationships" vs the demands of their duty.

Most will seek to balance it as best they can, often not without significant cost....

Now whether it affects Jediism as a daily practice, perhaps not so much - but it is hard to have two masters, and many families don't appreciate playing second fiddle to a higher purpose....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343812 by
Well no, I meant to say like real life though, I thought being a Jedi meant acting like the jedi in the movies?

More
4 years 6 months ago #343813 by Rex
The question was "don't Jedi avoid relationships because they cause conflicts?"

The answer is, look at the FAQ or Doctrine. This isn't just a bunch of people LARPing as characters from movies.
Saying you should have common sense in choosing your priorities (including relationships) should go without needing to be said

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
4 years 6 months ago #343814 by JamesSand

Saying you should have common sense in choosing your priorities (including relationships) should go without needing to be said

Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I've never found the act of sorting out my priorities, and the necessary actions from there to be a simple matter of course as if knowing how to live ones life for the best outcome according to your philosophy was as easy as knowing fire=hot.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343815 by
Sorry um just learning. :(
Where should I go?

More
4 years 6 months ago #343817 by JamesSand
I'm fair tempted to just quote your signature block at you :)

in any case, I can see you've started a journal and the IP, which is more or less the "start" of "Jedi Training" at TotJO, so it would seem you are more or less on the "right track" as far as embracing TotJOs teaching package....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #343818 by
Thank you. Rex is just mean.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi