Are Jedi Against Deception

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190058 by
Replied by on topic Are Jedi Against Deception
I find this question to be an open-ended question. My truth is what it is, and whether or not I wish to share it is at my discretion. I tend to look such things "Need to know vs. Nice to know". If I was an entrepreneur with viable trade secrets, I'm not going to vomit at the mouth with everything I know. That's a protected interest that I need to keep safe. I would consider misdirecting to protect my interests.

Now telling someone something that flat isn't true? I think that honesty, in this case, is the best policy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 1 day ago #190067 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Are Jedi Against Deception

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Goken wrote: Small side note. On the first page Kitsu mentioned the Jedi Mind Trick. Interestingly, I disagree with it's use. I get why Obi-Wan used it in the first one, but feel like it'd be something that a Jedi would strive to never need to use. I can't imagine that depriving a living being of it's basic mental freedom would be something that a Jedi would do without much care or thought.

I wont go into detail as I am sure we are wanting to keep to "Real" examples and expressions here. But, I wonder if you have read the books and history of Jedi.....Jedi are not so peaceful and loving and thinking about the goodness in all things kind of people XD They did what was right for the greater cause. Including deception. In fact...they did quite alot of deception...The Jedi mind trick was quite a useful and common tool in their bag of tricks.

We dont want to dwell Kitsu, thsts the difference, lol... The fiction, ANY fiction really, provides examples we can all see, and have seen with our own eyes... And as examples we have seen, we can discuss what we have seen, and all evaluate it...

Whereas whether I was right or not for stealing the apple, I have to explain, and even then, you only get a part of the story, lol...

We all saw ObiWan wave his hand... QUiGon too... and we can discuss possible the 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of it... But some want to say what 'they were thinking' and honestly, it is a fictional story, told by writers...

QuiGon rolled those dice a little extra as well, to win Anakin...;)

I dont know the printed lore, but there are examples of 'good people' doing 'bad' all in tons and tons of stories, not just SW...

Should a Jedi follow an unjust law?

A Jedi should do what is 'right' in their mind... However, the other Jedi may not agree, and there we have our splits...

Ive broke 'unjust laws', but understanding that 'the empire' may hold me accountable didnt sway me...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Archon, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190071 by
haha oh I know :laugh: But if I went in to all the deceptions used by Fictional Jedi...I would risk sounding like a Nerd :woohoo: Oh.....Wait.... :blush:

Darth Revan's history is a great example of the Jedi manipulating a persons mind.....OFTEN.....to get the "Best" outcome required for their over all plans.

The Shadow Jedi were great examples as well of the Council working Deception to rid the galaxy of ANY dark taint.

Anyways ^_^ Merely saying that Jedi both in fiction and in real life must treat your situation with clear judgment which will reflect your own personal Morals. Some will have more laxed morals then others. Some will judge a situation differently from the Jedi next to you. It's all sittuational as always :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #190112 by
Having gone over the arguments of both sides, i guess it's my turn to my two cents in.

It would seem that deception is more of a skill much like persuasion rather than evil act in itself. A skill that is utilized to accomplish a goal. The intention of the Jedi's goal is what should remain "true". Obi-Wan knew that those storm troopers would take the droids and arrest he and Luke at the slightest hint of guilt. Obi-Wan has used his power of persuasion to allow them to carry on the mission without incident.
This is the ideal situation to use deception as a prevention of incident. However, if the use of deception is put toward a root of a cause, say a peace treaty, then the fruit of that tree will be poisoned. My point is, without getting too hokey, is that a foundation of lies would be devestating if the truth were revealed. The backlash would cause even more anger and violence. Don't even get me started on those who deceive for the sake of discord...Darth Sidious, burn in hell.
One must keep things in perspective of the greater good, not just long term results, like any other moral choice. It is very easy to be seduced by those who can deceive effortlessly as well as intoxicating to those who can effortlessly decieve and control others like a puppeteer. I suppose it would be safe to say that deception would be a valued skill to avoid conflict but would be immoral to utilize in manipulation. This is where we seperate the Jedi from the Sith.
Having said that; it is also a valued skill to be able to identify and nullify those who intend to manipulate the truth or just flat out lie. The greatest gift to Mankind is free will, it may be a bitch at times, but to give it up is to volunteer your own destruction.

More
9 years 21 hours ago #190132 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Are Jedi Against Deception

Kitsu Tails wrote: Darth Revan's history is a great example of the Jedi manipulating a persons mind.....OFTEN.....to get the "Best" outcome required for their over all plans.

And that didn't necessarily turn out that great for anyone involved, :laugh:

If the discussion needs reference to another fictional source, then why not go to the KOTOR graphic novels, where a group of Jedi acting in secrecy for the supposed "greater good" ended up basically handing the keys to the kingdom over to the Mandelorians - and helped pave the way for Revan's rise in the first place.

Or the Jedi involvement in the Clone Wars - where despite not understanding the whole picture, the Jedi entered a massive galactic war, which turned out to be a somewhat bad idea considering it was all orchestrated by Palpatine.

The fiction is scattered with the point that the Jedi make a lot of mistakes, but in the end the ways of complete secrecy and maneuvering through deception are at the heart of what it means to be Sith.

But that's fiction - written by authors and screenwriters. Some of them might be intelligent, well-learned people with a solid grasp on the material they're creating, and some will just be aiming to spin a good (sell-able) yarn. We can't expect them all to have a good grasp on philosophy, psychology, and metaphysics. :lol:

A good fictional example of the "for the greater good" mentality would be the comedy film Hot Fuzz. Soemtimes looking at an issue through the eyes of comedy gets you a much clearer vision and understanding.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 20 hours ago #190140 by

Locksley wrote: But that's fiction - written by authors and screenwriters.

........The point. Was simply to show that "Jedi" Real or Fictional are not happy fun loving, tree hugging hippies that always and only do "Good" in all things. Deception, can and has been used by REAL and fictional Jedi alike to achieve a greater goal or purpose. The outcome of those goals and purpose are equally fictional and only prove the point that Deception should not be used like a toy and whenever it suites us. But instead a Tool for the right outcome of your unique situations with the knowledge that not everything will end out happy go lucky. Just hopefully better then it could have been without the use of the tools afforded to you.

More
9 years 20 hours ago #190141 by PatrickB
Replied by PatrickB on topic Are Jedi Against Deception
During my life I've had to hide the truth for some adventure . but to hide the truth of some small behavior is sometime good . I guess hiding smoking marijuana is somehow good . Because of the plant have good effect . Event do I think the government should make it legal . The could make tones of profit .

So when a guy known's , he has to lie , it's no walk in parc ! For sure inside of a man lying is not perfect but how good he felt during his small pass during the time his was lying . It's was just for the fun of it and was worth it for the joint .

And what about his mun how did she feel toward his son and I guess she knew the situation . I think deception can also come from the other and affect you .

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Locksley

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 20 hours ago #190142 by
I appologize Kitsu, I haven't read any of the old EU. I watched the Clone Wars series but that was it. I'm enjoying the comics of the new EU though. :)

My adherence to the fiction seems to be getting smaller as I go anyway. A great first step, but for me that's all it was.

I do enjoy finding out that they used deception quite a bit and that it seems to have infrequently worked out well for them. Once again good moral lessons, but the behaviour before the lesson is learned is not the behaviour I aspire to.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190445 by OB1Shinobi

Brenna wrote: Its hurtful because I have the expectation of honestly, but why do I have that in the first place? Where and why did I learn that it is a desired trait and that I should expect it from people in my life? I have no answers yet :D

i find it extremely uncomfortable to willingly invest at an emotional level in any relationship where i am not confident that the value and "terms" of the relationship are understood and agreed on by everyone involved

i have a strong sense that loyalty is a necesaary agreememt for a mutually enriching relationship, and that loyalty is not possible without first defining, as well as can be done, what the criteria for loyalty are in any given situation

its a very stressfull situation to be attached to a person in what is "supposed" to be a "sacred" or at least an important relationship and see that the person is consistently dishonest

it means "i dont know who you are - i only know that i cannot believe what you tell me about who you are, or what you will do - which means that you could be anybody; you could be my very nemesis playing the role of my intimate"

so theres a great deal of vulnerability involved in trust - just generally speaking - we are vulnurable when we trust
but we have to trust in order to group
and facing the dangers and complexities of the world entirely alone represent an even greater vulnerability

unless one can survive deep space with no more than the body we were born with, our survival depends on some degree of group reliance

our very biology mandates some level of dependence on others

ideally this is not dependence but interdependence - a cooperative and mutually enriching unity or COMMunity

intentional deceit blatantly undermines that unity

theres also a feeling of not being appreciated or valued when someone close lies

"you know my feelings hurt when i realize youve lied to me - why wouldnt you value me enough to respect my feelings?

you know that my loyalty cannot be sincere with someone i dont trust - why isnt my loyalty worth being honest enough to earn?

you know that i am not stupid - why do you put me in the position of either being a fool who believes a lie
or of being a stool who one can just lie to at will?"

and for me i often express the idea that, ultimately, "honesty is more important than monogomy"

this kind of thinking carries over to all relationships with the understanding being "i can accept and value you for who and what you really are, without us having to pretend with each other"

but some people really are pretenders :-(

thats how ive come to understand it so far

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #190448 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Are Jedi Against Deception
I am a consequentialist. Lying is not always wrong, and it is not the case that intention is important while looking at the moral value of an action. It is the consequence of the action which determines the moral quality.

If, for example, a friend of mine is interested in trying heroin, I could tell them "That's dangerous and not a good idea" or I could lie and say "A good friend of mine tried heroin and got hooked on it, tore apart his family, and overdosed and died at a young age. The stuff is awful for you and will ruin your life." I think the lie would be more effective in convincing my friend not to do heroin, so the outcome is good.

If a guy is about to kill 10 people with a bomb and you have the ability to shoot and kill that guy, you had better shoot and kill that guy. Of course it's still bad to kill that person. But the alternative is that 10 innocent people die, and if you had the ability to stop that and didn't stop it, you're partially responsible for those deaths. The same applies to deception. If you say that deception is always bad, that lying is always bad, then if that person is going to kill 10 people and you have the ability to stop him not by killing him but through deceiving him, you wouldn't lie to him and you would be responsible for their deaths. You have, in my opinion, a moral obligation to lie in that situation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi