Developing tk/pk

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256492 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Developing tk/pk

RyuJin wrote: At one point it was "impossible" for 1 object to be in 2 places at the same time...then they achieved it with the hadron collider...

They did? How? Any citations on that?

At one point it was "impossible" to bring someone back from the dead...then we developed defibrillators...

And the dead are still as dead as they ever were. What's your point?

Imagine the impossibilities we'll overcome in the distant future...

I suppose anything that is possible in principle might at some point become possible in practice. Are you implying that TK/PK is one such thing? If so, citation, please.

Also, unlike the woo-woo crowd, science and engineering actually has a track record of achievements and successes. The moment their methods are brought anywhere in the vicinity of woo, it crumbles and collapses, yelling that those evil skeptics are conspired to laugh at them, meanwhile having done nothing to be taken serious in the first place. Critical thinking is a cornerstone of science and a wrecking ball to woo and the woo folks know it and discourage it for that reason.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gisteron.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256513 by
Replied by on topic Developing tk/pk

RyuJin wrote: At one point it was "impossible" for 1 object to be in 2 places at the same time...then they achieved it with the hadron collider...

At one point it was "impossible" to bring someone back from the dead...then we developed defibrillators...

Imagine the impossibilities we'll overcome in the distant future...

Actually quantum particles have always has the ability to be in two places at once, in fact many places, called superposition. However I have no idea what this has to do with the collider as it is a particle accelerator/smasher and has nothing to do with bi-location. It was the rigors of science that allowed us to build things like the collider to discover what was already in operation and thus better understand our universe.

As for the human physiology, its mechanisms have also always possessed the ability to be resurrected from recent death given very specific and exacting conditions – it’s just that we did not possess the technical knowledge until recently to be well versed in those techniques. We can thank science for discovering and documenting those processes, now well defined withing the framework of natural law. However we still can’t use magic, or energy healing, or any other "psycho-whats-it" to miraculously just fix any injury or malady that results in death. Those things are outside the realm of science because they do not have any quantifiable means within the laws of physics to function as such. Instead they are composed of empty assertions and hollow promises.

By your logic we should just be able to invent or conjure up anything we dream of if we just "imagine the possibility" hard enough. We would not have to operate within the laws of nature at all. If that is the case there is nothing to say that I cant one day develop the ability to shoot green monkeys out of my butt that eat nuclear waste. Energy Crisis solved or a gross misuse of the laws of logic? The world may never know! B) :laugh: :silly:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 7 months ago #256518 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Developing tk/pk
Transparent aluminum was once a thing of imagination, and is now a reality...Bluetooth technology was a thing of imagination, and is now a reality...imagination is the birthplace of progress...someone imagines a concept then works towards achieving it, along the way there are countless failures and sometimes the originator of the idea never lives to see its fruition...orwell, verne, disney, all dreamers imagining amazing things...some of which now exist, some which still don't... most scientists only apply themselves to things that have a payoff within their lifetime, few do it for the love of science or out of pure curiosity...money and need drive advancement...if there isn't a practical need or a way to profit from something it's cast aside as a waste of time...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256532 by
Ok, but those are just applications of technology. They have nothing to do with a naturally evolved sense or ability that uses an aspect of the laws of physics to manipulate matter. Are you saying that we may one day develop the technology to give us the ability to do PK? If this is the case I see little reason to discuss a natural ability that may or may not have evolved and even less need to explore the training of our minds to develop that ability? Instead we just need to develop the technology to artificially allow us to access that ability.

More
7 years 7 months ago #256540 by Gisteron
See, Ryu, I wouldn't even grant as much as Kyrin does here. First of all, thanks for just swiftly ignoring the responses to the previous argument that is invalid in structure and unsound in its premises, and just moving on to more assertions. Do not validate us for that would be after all beneath you...

But then of course let's remember that transparent aluminium wasn't imagined to be quite like the real thing. Bluetooth is a very specific patent and wireless information transmission existed long before bluetooth did.
Imagination is the birthplace of art. Progress is born out of need, and science moves forward out of curiosity. Most of what Orwell, Verne or Disney made up either never came to be or came to be in the broadest and most generous reinterpretations.
I don't know what scientists you surveyed, but I can think off the top of my head of entire fields of science that outside of motivating other fields did almost nothing to contribute to our daily lives even once, like astronomy, paleontology and history. The reason nobody wastes time on magic anymore is because they have wasted well enough time on that to understand that there is no point in wasting any more.
While we are at it, are you seriously implying that all of the most educated and brilliant minds on the planet are collectively blind to the potential profits of magic? Do you think they never heard of the countless hacks who make millions by simply lying to their audiences about it, to say nothing of the money religions make by cultivating pretty much the same kind of claims on the same kind of thinking?
"Oh, these small-minded unimaginative intellectuals who only care about their own immediate benefit, what do they really know about anything?"
No! [Censored] this! :angry:

The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256545 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Developing tk/pk

Gisteron wrote: See, Ryu, I wouldn't even grant as much as Kyrin does here. First of all, thanks for just swiftly ignoring the responses to the previous argument that is invalid in structure and unsound in its premises, and just moving on to more assertions. Do not validate us for that would be after all beneath you...

But then of course let's remember that transparent aluminium wasn't imagined to be quite like the real thing. Bluetooth is a very specific patent and wireless information transmission existed long before bluetooth did.
Imagination is the birthplace of art. Progress is born out of need, and science moves forward out of curiosity. Most of what Orwell, Verne or Disney made up either never came to be or came to be in the broadest and most generous reinterpretations.
I don't know what scientists you surveyed, but I can think off the top of my head of entire fields of science that outside of motivating other fields did almost nothing to contribute to our daily lives even once, like astronomy, paleontology and history. The reason nobody wastes time on magic anymore is because they have wasted well enough time on that to understand that there is no point in wasting any more.
While we are at it, are you seriously implying that all of the most educated and brilliant minds on the planet are collectively blind to the potential profits of magic? Do you think they never heard of the countless hacks who make millions by simply lying to their audiences about it, to say nothing of the money religions make by cultivating pretty much the same kind of claims on the same kind of thinking?
"Oh, these small-minded unimaginative intellectuals who only care about their own immediate benefit, what do they really know about anything?"
No! [Censored] this! :angry:

Perhaps if you weren't such a troll on a regular basis? So you disagree with him, now you're going to throw a fit because he denied you the satisfaction of acknowledging your side of things? That's troll behavior simply put, and proves your weren't so much interested in having a healthy discussion/debate, over just nit picking the thread like you do so many others like a scab, because your fairly good with words and feed off of the conflict. Please get over yourself...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Zenchi.

More
7 years 7 months ago #256553 by Gisteron

Zenchi wrote: ... now you're going to throw a fit because he denied you the satisfaction of acknowledging your side of things?[/colore]

Actually, no, if you'd read the post you just quoted unabridged, you'll notice how i responded to more or less every bit he said. It's not like I feel entitled to personal validation either; Ryu ignored my response just as much as he ignored Khaos' and Kyrin's. Now, I may have never formally learned how to have a healthy discussion or debate, but where I come from that usually entails a back and forth, a dialogue. If you find that this is a trollish expectation I have of discussion partners, I can well live with that. Of course nobody is actually required to oblige. I'm just pointing to the irony of implying that the other side is the closed-minded and self-centered one, while one oneself keeps preaching on as if there is nothing to be discussed, nothing to be questioned.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256555 by
Which part is the troll part exactly? Why also, are well reasoned arguments considered trolling?

I mean, going off of the phrase " There is no ignorance, there is knowledge" why then is it that when people simply wont take anecdotal evidence, or poorly researched or outright bad research and claims of fantastic claims(Which should also have fantastic evidence) it is considered trolling rude, or what have you.

Is only blind acceptance considered not trolling here anymore?

Im sorry, but this place is getting a bit much on calling out butt hurt as trolling and I am a bit tired of it.

Its much easier to claim trolling and such rather than practice some sort of level of that Jedi detachment I am always hearing about and address the argument objectively rather than respond emotionally and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Its getting ridiculous now.

You cannot even have an adult, mature, conversation anymore and shouldnt contribute unless your just padding each others fragile egos, instead of peer reviewing, discussing, and debating the topics here in such a way as to actually explore and get something out of the conversation other than " One time, I had a cool experience.. and it doesnt matter if science, or anything else disagrees I know its all true, etc".

So, basically, unless we are going to agree and pad your ego, you are going to basically say what you want, and do the forum version to covering your ears and screaming "LALALALALA" if it isnt something you want to hear, or claim its trolling, rude, bullying, etc.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256557 by Zenchi

Khaos wrote: Which part is the troll part exactly? Why also, are well reasoned arguments considered trolling?

I mean, going off of the phrase " There is no ignorance, there is knowledge" why then is it that when people simply wont take anecdotal evidence, or poorly researched or outright bad research and claims of fantastic claims(Which should also have fantastic evidence) it is considered trolling rude, or what have you.

Is only blind acceptance considered not trolling here anymore?

Not at all, its all about presentation, should be common sense as long as you've had an account here...

Im sorry, but this place is getting a bit much on calling out butt hurt as trolling and I am a bit tired of it.

Believe I've heard that song and dance before from you Khaos...

Its much easier to claim trolling and such rather than practice some sort of level of that Jedi detachment I am always hearing about and address the argument objectively rather than respond emotionally and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Its getting ridiculous now.

You cannot even have an adult, mature, conversation anymore unless your just padding each others fragile egos.

And yet you continue to stick around, wonder why...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256558 by Zenchi

Gisteron wrote:

Zenchi wrote: ... now you're going to throw a fit because he denied you the satisfaction of acknowledging your side of things?[/colore]

Actually, no, if you'd read the post you just quoted unabridged, you'll notice how i responded to more or less every bit he said. It's not like I feel entitled to personal validation either; Ryu ignored my response just as much as he ignored Khaos' and Kyrin's. Now, I may have never formally learned how to have a healthy discussion or debate, but where I come from that usually entails a back and forth, a dialogue. If you find that this is a trollish expectation I have of discussion partners, I can well live with that. Of course nobody is actually required to oblige. I'm just pointing to the irony of implying that the other side is the closed-minded and self-centered one, while one oneself keeps preaching on as if there is nothing to be discussed, nothing to be questioned.

I dont necessarily disagree with the points (some of them) you've made, you make a good arguement, but there are better ways to go about proving your point without getting all emotional about it, making your side of the debate sound like an attack because you disagree. Im not asking anyone to kiss a$$...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi