• Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 7 months ago #256570 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Developing tk/pk
I didn't ignore anyone's posts. I simply pointed out perspectives that were contrary to some...

I'm not against science, nor am I for blindly accepting the fantastic...I am open to both...some seem completely closed off to the idea that the fantastic MAY be possible...I am not...it may or may not be possible...however i'm not going to belittle nor diminish someone else's perspective as some seem intent on doing...if someone else believes in it and are not causing harm with that belief then what is the problem?...as I said in the op, I know some believe in the possiblility and some don't...and I don't recall ever mentioning magic?.....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256577 by
Replied by on topic Developing tk/pk

RyuJin wrote: I didn't ignore anyone's posts. I simply pointed out perspectives that were contrary to some...

I'm not against science, nor am I for blindly accepting the fantastic...I am open to both...some seem completely closed off to the idea that the fantastic MAY be possible...I am not...it may or may not be possible...however i'm not going to belittle nor diminish someone else's perspective as some seem intent on doing...if someone else believes in it and are not causing harm with that belief then what is the problem?...as I said in the op, I know some believe in the possiblility and some don't...and I don't recall ever mentioning magic?.....

On the contrary, its not that some are saying they don't or wont believe. Instead I and others are taking the default position of not accepting a claim without evidence to support that claim. And in this case the claim that PK may be possible is an extraordinary claim and thus requires extraordinary proof. If I said my sister was in the garage you may take me at my word, however is I said I had an invisible pink unicorn in the garage you would most likely demand extraordinary evidence be provided to support my claim.

And yet to date, after a myriad of studies and tests and experiments and scientific investigation of such claims as the existence of invisible pink unicorns or PK, no substantial proof or evidence has ever been found to support the existence of either. James Randy has has even had a million bucks on the line for quite a few years and, even though many have tried, none have been able to claim it. And yes I know that a default stance is typically that the "sensitives" don't do what they do for the money, but just think of the charities they could help, not only with their gift but also the money they could get from proving PK exists. Needless to say I don't buy these bogus positions either.

As for bringing up the subject of magic, I would respectfully disagree with you. I think you brought it up when you first mentioned PK. ;)

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 7 months ago #256583 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Developing tk/pk
I just reread all my posts in this thread and none mention magic...a post made by jestor mentions magic (or magician), but not a post by me...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
7 years 7 months ago #256584 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Developing tk/pk

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

RyuJin wrote: At one point it was "impossible" for 1 object to be in 2 places at the same time...then they achieved it with the hadron collider...

At one point it was "impossible" to bring someone back from the dead...then we developed defibrillators...

Imagine the impossibilities we'll overcome in the distant future...

Actually quantum particles have always has the ability to be in two places at once, in fact many places, called superposition. However I have no idea what this has to do with the collider as it is a particle accelerator/smasher and has nothing to do with bi-location. It was the rigors of science that allowed us to build things like the collider to discover what was already in operation and thus better understand our universe.

Don't 'particles' exist only because we try to measure them, and when said to exist only do so in clouds of probabilities? Just because something might be said to exist beyond science doesn't mean it is anti-science... if someone can do TK/PK I'd really want them to apply try to apply science to it! New discoveries would be one of the main sources of expanding the frontiers of science, by allowing new tools to be created to look deeper/further/beyond what was previously considered to be the limits.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256585 by

RyuJin wrote: I just reread all my posts in this thread and none mention magic...a post made by jestor mentions magic (or magician), but not a post by me...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke

More
7 years 7 months ago #256602 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Developing tk/pk
When I say magic I mean any power of apparently influencing or forecasting events by using mysterious or supernatural forces. TK/PK falls under that.

Adder wrote: Just because something might be said to exist beyond science doesn't mean it is anti-science...

It does, but nothing discussed here is strictly beyond science. The domain of science is the set of all theoretically observable things and the things that can be deduced from observations. These limits were never narrower in the past than they are today and can by definition never grow broader either. We are not differentiating between claims that were unfalsified at some point and those that were, we are differentiating between claims that are in principle falsifiable and those that are in principle not. It is not a matter of time until the latter become scientific.

And on that note, let us please pick either one or the other and stick with it. TK/PK cannot be simultaneously something one can experience or perform and beyond experience and performance at the same time. Nothing we agree to consider real is this internally inconsistent. If magic powers do manifest in reality in detectable (i.e. identifiable) ways, we'd expect to have an instance of that at hand. If they don't, that's all that needs be said. Which is it?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256604 by
What i have trouble with is stating that something is not there because you cannot measure it , you cannot measure my love but it is still there ?

But maybe that is not what is being said :P Off course we have all had that weird feeling in our stomach knowing that something is wrong , i blame that on a lot of shit being wrong in the world , but knowing exactly what is going to happen next is another thing , there is more between heaven and earth , and mostly its our imagination. But why get so upset over anything like TK ? Its not that we are going to knive anyone from a distance are we , i mean i have only seen someone move a piece of paper loll ? Or is it the fear of the unknown ? Or are we trying indeed to comfort ourselves with the idea there is more ? Is there more? Its scary shit really.....yeah thats what it is ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256649 by

RyuJin wrote: I just reread all my posts in this thread and none mention magic...a post made by jestor mentions magic (or magician), but not a post by me...

It was a joke of sorts. I was implying that Pk is magic. In its purest sense that's what it equates to. I could claim to have magical powers and I would have just as much basis for that claim as you have for claiming you have some sort of PK ability. So when you say PK, I hear magic. ;)

Adder wrote: Don't 'particles' exist only because we try to measure them, and when said to exist only do so in clouds of probabilities? Just because something might be said to exist beyond science doesn't mean it is anti-science... if someone can do TK/PK I'd really want them to apply try to apply science to it! New discoveries would be one of the main sources of expanding the frontiers of science, by allowing new tools to be created to look deeper/further/beyond what was previously considered to be the limits.

What is this thing that exists beyond science that is not anti-science? How can a thing exist beyond something and yet be a part of it? That makes no sense. Either a thing is an object of the set or it is not. It cant be both, that defies the laws of logic. Either we believe in Science the provable, repeatable, falsifiable aspect of our reality that is based in unchangeable laws of Physics or we believe in magic where no aspect of our reality can be accepted as valid because we might not have existed a few seconds ago or the the laws of physics could be changed at will, thus rendering our entire perception of reality a lie and we as a species irrelevant.

In any case, as I have said before, there have been many many attempts to put science to PK and every single one in every single instance has failed. There is no medium nor mechanism that has ever been discovered within the electromagnetic spectrum that has ever been shown to have the ability to defy the force of gravity as a component of the natural evolution of an organic organism. Nor has there even been presented the slightest evidence that our brains have the capacity to somehow function at a quantum level and thus directly manipulate the particles of condensed matter in such a way as to remotely move objects, or communicate among minds etc.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256650 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Developing tk/pk

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

It was a joke of sorts. I was implying that Pk is magic. In its purest sense that's what it equates to. I could claim to have magical powers and I would have just as much basis for that claim as you have for claiming you have some sort of PK ability. So when you say PK, I hear magic. ;)

Assumptions assumptions.... :lol:

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256655 by

What i have trouble with is stating that something is not there because you cannot measure it , you cannot measure my love but it is still there ?

Yet, you would have no problem stating it IS there because you cannot measure it?

:huh:

As for love, while I suppose you cannot measure it, yet, you can express it in a measurable way.

However, that does not apply in any real consistent or measurable way for TK/PK

Now, if you say it cannot be measured and yet claim it can be demonstrated, then you are saying it can be measured in some way in an observable sense( Moving things with your mind should be a measurable instance, not unlike hugging, for love, or a kiss), not unlike love.

Yet, this is not the case, and it hasnt gotten any better at making it so

Just because something might be said to exist beyond science doesn't mean it is anti-science... if someone can do TK/PK I'd really want them to apply try to apply science to it! New discoveries would be one of the main sources of expanding the frontiers of science, by allowing new tools to be created to look deeper/further/beyond what was previously considered to be the limits.

Yet, there is nothing to measure for science, or to create tools for.

You know, because those that actually CAN do it in a big way wont, for a myriad of excuses, money, fame, or science, which is strange no matter how you slice it.

Seriously, you can state how something can be beyond science, but in this case, there is nothing to measure past hearsay in he first place.

New frontiers? Show that there is such a frontier.

Even were there not tools to measure it, a display, a consistant repeatable display would be enough for any scientist to put thousands of hours in trying to find ways to measure, and develop it, or ways to develop it.

A drove of real scientists would.

You say its possible, I say "Ok show it to me"

Aaaaannnd you cant.

I do so wonder what people coming into my BJJ class say to such a sales pitch.

"Show me it works"

"Sorry, I cant, and its beyond perception, but you will certainly be able to defend yourself with it."

No....That dont metal.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi