Coronavirus

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #350638 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Coronavirus
statewide shutdowns are happening.

Is it the end of the world? No. But take care of yourselves. Take it seriously. Keep your distance from people. Don't think that you're too young or somehow exempt. But stay calm. Don't take unnecessary risks to yourself or others.

Be safe.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #350639 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Coronavirus
Be safe brothers and sisters - stick to the regulations and try to still have fun!

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #350640 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Coronavirus
Thought I'd share this with you. Was a bit surprised to find that an early sign might be Digestive issues.

Attachment COVID19Info.png not found

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #350641 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Coronavirus
Do the five:

1) keep distance between yourself and others (6ft recommended)
2) refrain from touching your face
3) wash your hands, often
4) cough/sneeze into your elbow
5) stay home as much as possible

People are complicated.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #350643 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Coronavirus

OB1Shinobi wrote: Do the five:

1) keep distance between yourself and others (6ft recommended)
2) refrain from touching your face
3) wash your hands, often
4) cough/sneeze into your elbow
5) stay home as much as possible

We’re far beyond that at this time. Official measures here are:

Don't spend time inside with people you don’t live with. Work from home. The virus stays in the air for up to 3 hours and for up to 3 days on surfaces. Shop online if possible - generally avoid going to shops. Always carry hand disinfectant and use it often, especially before and after touching surfaces outside your home. Don’t go outside other than for sports and walking your dog, and only go alone. Avoid other people as much as possible.

The maximum number of people standing together in public here is 5 and the minimum distance is 2m. In Germany, this number was just reduced to two. There’ll be full isolation within a few days here.

Don’t do anything dangerous - the last thing hospitals need at the moment is people who injure themselves doing sports, in household accidents etc.

And above all: halt any and all contact with the elderly. Don’t go visit your parents and family. Keep your children inside unless you can make sure they won’t be in contact with other children. DO NOT have people over 50 take care of your children.

Contrary to popular belief, the virus infects and kills younger people too, primarily if they have pre-existing conditions. Conditions that can lead to very serious cases of Covid19:

Diabetes
Asthma
Recent colds or the flu
Smoking
Heart disease
Chronic respiratory disease
Auto immune disease
Allergies (hay fever etc)
Any kind of cancer

There’s an incredible number of younger people dying in Europe at the moment. This is scary shit.

Prepare yourself for it to get much, much worse before it gets better. You have no idea how shitty this will get (unless you live in Europe where shit has already hit the fan).

Help wherever you can - without getting into contact with people. E.g. online shop groceries for those who don’t know how. Deliver it to the doorstep. Donate facial masks if you still have some lying around since the swine flu scare etc

Don’t do anything stupid :-)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Cyan Sarden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350691 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Coronavirus
Being that many of my friends are at home and on social media more than regular, a recent article came out from my Alma Mater's student pub that decried the US executive branch's usage of "Chinese virus" and "kung flu". One of my friends responded that CNN had referred to it as the Wuhan or Chinese virus in the past, and that the author's criticism wasn't consistent, but rather an opportunistic attack on a White House they dislike. My friend is a lawyer and not just an uninformed hack, so while I responded to it with my opinion a couple hours ago, I'm curious as to what your opinions are of this topic: do naming conventions matter? Is it acceptable for media or politicians to flout those standards?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #350692 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Coronavirus
Depends on the level of formality intended, and I guess if it's appropriate. Setting context tends to be the most dominant reason for adjusting formality IMO... using it to denote seriousness or audience. If talking to the Chinese then calling it Wuhan virus might resonate but if talking to non-Chinese calling it the Chinese virus might resonate. Kung flu seems less appropriate for anything as its so overtly sensationalist but that might depend on its context in use as to whether its discrimatory or a play on translation. Obviously I prefer technical accuracy and to me it's professional for anyone with an official role to be professional. The virus is called SARS-CoV-2 and the disease caused by an infection of it is COVID-19. Politicians adjust their delivery depending on the audience, and media tend to be sensationalist, but Heads of State these days feel the need to more politician and media manager than figure head.

Though in the social and multi media space, everyone can be the audience... or at least think they are. The concept itself is not new so it's no excuse for people to try to get away with being offensive.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #350698 by Zenith Felwood
Replied by Zenith Felwood on topic Coronavirus
There is a ton of misinformation and this includes media attention. I work as a Healthcare aide (caregiver/front line worker) in a long term care facility. To our knowledge, we have not been hit by the virus in our local facility but its hitting close to home. The coronavirus is droplets, not airborne despite what the media has said. It is best to isolate for 14 days if you have been in close contact with someone/ or yourself who has coronavirus or has recently traveled. Also, isolate if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Wash your hands for 30 seconds with as hot water as your hands can stand.

make good use of hand sanitizer.

know that hand sanitizer is not a replacement for hand washing.

There are many other things that I could say but I want to give solid facts and not what I think may or may not be true.

May the force be with you and keep safe.
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Zenith Felwood. Reason: Added information

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350699 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Coronavirus

Zenith Felwood wrote: There is a ton of misinformation and this includes media attention. I work as a Healthcare aide (caregiver/front line worker) in a long term care facility. To our knowledge, we have not been hit by the virus in our local facility but its hitting close to home. The coronavirus is droplets, not airborne despite what the media has said. It is best to isolate for 14 days if you have been in close contact with someone/ or yourself who has coronavirus or has recently traveled. Also, isolate if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Wash your hands for 30 seconds with as hot water as your hands can stand.

make good use of hand sanitizer.

know that hand sanitizer is not a replacement for hand washing.

There are many other things that I could say but I want to give solid facts and not what I think may or may not be true.

May the force be with you and keep safe.

My understanding Re the airborne issue is that tests of Air in proximity to sufferers has not shown it as aerosol.... but other tests in controlled conditions in a lab show the virus is capable of being at infectious levels as an aerosol. So reality sits somewhere in between probably, worse then droplet but not as bad as airborne. So it seems like it's airborne as in suspended aerosoled droplets for a few hours, but not aerosol suspended at large on the breeze sorta thing.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #350703 by Zenith Felwood
Replied by Zenith Felwood on topic Coronavirus
It is a droplet. for example, if someone sneezes it sprays out like aerosol can. but it does not stay in the air. It does not multiply on a surface. But it can be moved from one surface to another.

"So it seems like it's airborne as in suspended aerosoled droplets for a few hours, but not aerosol suspended at large on the breeze sorta thing."

correct to my understanding.

Please know this is my understanding now and may not be total fact-based.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi