Coronavirus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348986 by
Replied by on topic Coronavirus

Adder wrote: They thought it wasnt human-to-human initially, but either they were wrong or its mutations made it so... because it is human-to-human.

We got our first confirmed carrier in Australia today as well.

These sorts of things have been evolving very quickly, and becoming resistant to various drugs. We are living in a new age of super bugs, I'm scared to see what tomorrow may bring.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #348997 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Coronavirus
Fear? Life's a gift anyway, we're all on borrowed time probably! Live life, love life, help when possible, and don't stress things. Sounds easier then it is but hey....

An interesting page which shows all provinces of China have confirmed cases is at;
https://news.qq.com/zt2020/page/feiyan.htm

What confuses me is there are more deaths then recoveries according to the stats!?

It'll either kick off, or not. Key take aways seem to be human to human from contact (touch) or droplets (coughing etc), contagious before symptoms means you can spread it before you know you've got it. It seems to last hours or days on surfaces depending on temp, humidity and material type... but details are still sketchy and often yet to be confirmed.

But yea, no vaccine yet or antiviral which works AFAIK, so recoveries might just be natural immunocompetency surviving disease life cycle.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garm, Amaya

More
4 years 2 months ago #349217 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Coronavirus
Confirmation: the virus, 2019-nCoV, can be transmitted from asymptomatic individuals: https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2001468
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #349444 by Adder
I noticed today for the first time that confirmed cases has overtaken suspected cases..... previously I think folk had been assuming suspected figures included confirmed figures because they represented a field test positive, then lab confirmation respectively. Unless the stats are out of synch tho, else it would appear that suspected and confirmed are two separate populations, which sort of doubles the numbers then what is being reported :ohmy:
Unless I'm mistaken of course, but maybe its a bit lost on translation.

In other news, a cruise liner with 3700 ppl have all been quarentined after 10 passenger's tested positive! Cruise ships are notorious for large numbers of passengers getting flus etc because of the extended close proximity etc.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #349448 by
I'm not saying this isn't an issue or something to be worried about, but I am pretty sure the media is blowing this way out of proportion.

However, avoid airports, especially international ones, and any urban area if you can, especially if you live anywhere near somewhere with lots of international traffic.

And if it's not being exaggerated for the sake of profitable sensationalism, well, I live in the rural Midwest, far from any international airport, so I'm not worried.

Also, I rarely leave the house.

Attachment mu9fvpo26yd41.png not found

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #349449 by
I think people are making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. They all acted the same way with the swine and bird flu and sars, but we're still turning and life is still going on. We've survived worse in the past. It won't be like the black death or anything. True it's easy to spread stuff more with air travel, but our medical tech is better than it was back then, too. Just something to get the public scared about where they over hype things and make it way worse as not that many people have been infected and the ones that died were usually old and had weak immune systems.

More
4 years 2 months ago #349450 by Adder
Fear is a powerful motivator.... but its still a very interesting, and opportunity to be both aware of it and learning for worse versions of the same type of threat.

More
4 years 1 month ago #350360 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Coronavirus
An expert in contagious diseases gives estimates and real world reports

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts&app=m&persist_app=1

People are complicated.

More
4 years 1 month ago #350371 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Coronavirus
I just love that all the healthy people in the world are freaking out over a disease they'll probably never see and buying up all the hand sanitizer I need to keep my immunocompromised family safe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #350395 by Adder
Oh its around all right. We'd had nearly a dozen confirmed in my city and its not a big city so much, just about half a million (ok pretty big).

Just now Tom Hanks and his wife were tested positive here!! They are here filming a movie..... and it reads like the same symptoms that me and my wife had 2 weeks ago actually, but we got over whatever that was (mostly, as its hanging around a bit). We didn't get tested because back then they were only testing people who'd flown in from China and had symptoms.

And it's not yet flu season down under yet there is a lot of something going around. Probably a good idea for Gov's to ramp up testing to get a better picture of it, in the meantime all us mugs gotta roll with some tighter procedures on more hand washing, no handshaking, sneeze/cough in your shirt lol or they say a bent elbow is good?, also anti-bacterial wipes are useful when out and about and unable to wash your hands.

Apparently the mortality stats range between 1% and 7%, depending on the country, at this early stage of the pandemic, but it averages in the high 3%. Compared to the flu which is about 0.1%, you can understand why they don't want it to spread. That is like 37 times higher, ooops. China seems to have gotten a handle on it though.

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZealotX

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi