Certified Reiki Master

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344110 by
Replied by on topic Certified Reiki Master

Fyxe wrote: So is this like Force Healing? How can I learn it?

Hi Fyxe. You could look at it like Force Healing, yes.

Reiki was discovered by Mikao Usui sometime in the late 1800's or early 1900's. Dr. Usui studied and practiced a variety of Eastern disciplines; he was a Buddhist monk, practiced martial arts as well as the Oriental healing discipline of Chi Kung. At one point, at the end of a 21-day period of fasting, he experienced a vision of several ancient Sanskrit symbols that became the basis for his method of healing. I know this sounds sufficiently exotic to read like good fiction, but Usui's biography is pretty well documented.

If you wish to learn Reiki, you can do so in far less time than it took Dr. Usui, and no fasting is needed. Accessibility to a Reiki teacher kind of depends on where you live; it is probably easier to find a teacher in larger towns than very small ones. I'd suggest just performing an internet search for Reiki plus the name of the city where you live.

Traditional Reiki is called Usui Reiki for obvious reasons. Many styles have been added since Usui's time; I believe some are good and some are suspect; anyone, after all, can hang out a shingle calling themselves a Reiki practitioner even having had no training at all. The Reiki practitioner who first helped me was trained in Tera Mai Reiki so I can vouch for that system too; my training, though, is in Usui Reiki, and I recommend starting there if you can.

There are three levels to traditional Reiki training. Level One is primarily focused on direct healing of yourself or others who are in the same room with you. Level Two offers the additional ability to assist in the healing of others at a distance. Level Three is required if you want to be a teacher yourself, and pass along the tradition to others.

Training for each level is simple. In traditional Usui training, you'll typically spend a weekend with a teacher and a small group of fellow students. Information will be shared, and at some point the teacher will provide an attunement - a short, ceremonial process where the teacher essentially provides an energy infusion directly to you that makes Reiki energy a permanent part of your being. It is an easy and comfortable process. During your weekend class, you can also expect to exchange healing sessions with your classmates several times.

Costs for the training can vary. In the early days of Reiki teaching (after Dr. Usui), it was quite expensive to become a Reiki practitioner, but that is no longer the case. I'm a little out of touch on current rates, but I'd guess you should be able to enroll in Reiki I training for no more than $200. The costs tend to rise as you progress to Reiki II and Reiki III, but if your teacher charges upward of $1,000 or more for the third level, I'd look elsewhere. I think you can probably pay considerably less than that.

In selecting a teacher, I'd ask him/her to share their lineage. My teacher could trace her lineage directly back to Dr. Usui through a half-dozen generations of teachers - so she wasn't too far removed. A longer lineage isn't a bad thing necessarily; the key point is that the best teachers know how Reiki training flowed to them.

Finally - if you're genuinely considering this and have never experienced Reiki, before getting training I'd recommend undergoing at least four or five Reiki healing sessions yourself, either with your prospective teacher or one of his/her students. It'll help you decide if this path is right for you.

I hope that's helpful. I'd love to hear where you take this!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344111 by
Wow that sounds amazing, but I'm mostly interested in building force healing power. But this might be a good place to start. But I'm from a very small town and 200 bucks is a lot!

Are you a master? If so can you help me remotely? I looked up classes and there are none near me but I found an online course where he will teach me to be a master remotely by buying his home course for only 47 dollars! That seems pretty cool so what do you think of that?

I want to use the training to develop my force heal talent. I want to use the force though not a Japanese energy system. Do you think we can work on this or something like that?

More
4 years 6 months ago #344117 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Certified Reiki Master
Don't worry. Reiki isn't a Japanese energy system, either. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344118 by
Oh sorry thought he was from Japan. In any case whatever oriental energy system he made I want to tap into the force energy.

More
4 years 6 months ago #344123 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Certified Reiki Master
Call me old-fashioned if you must, but I still feel a general sense of unease about encouraging and promoting getting scammed... Like sure, if you happen to have more money than sense, by all means, burn as much of it as you see fit, nobody can tell you what good you should be doing with it instead. But once we start broadly promoting this pseudoscientific garbage like that we are risking deliberately causing real harm to people on no better excuse for it than that the victims - our victims at that point - were not savvy enough to see through it in time. Again, from a libertarian standpoint I cannot form an objection to it, but I'd like to think of us as better than so callously uncaring...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
4 years 6 months ago #344124 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Certified Reiki Master
Gist, you do realize you can just, y'know, not post in threads, right? Like, it's possible to see something you don't agree with and just shut the hell up instead of being a parade rainer, right?

More
4 years 6 months ago #344125 by Gisteron
Yes, I am aware of that. Thanks.

Sorry I interrupted. Please carry on standing by doing nothing as people advice each other on how best to get scammed. And I'll carry on giving a damn whilst keeping in mind that I could also "just shut the hell up", as you put it. Thank you for reminding me that the negligent, disinterested route is an option. I keep overlooking it...

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
4 years 6 months ago #344126 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Certified Reiki Master
is it a scam though? if someone genuinely feels that they have benefited or learned then that is all that matters to them. i have seen enough energy work to know that i do not know everything (i have seen frauds and i have seen people get legitimate results) and that the scientific method cannot explain everything (even scientists have admitted that there are things science still can't explain). the power of belief is difficult to understand or explain...i know a man that had a tumor that medical science could not get rid of and he was told by his doctors that he only had a few months before the tumor would eventually kill him, the man turned to "pseudo sciences" and holistic treatments and after 3 months the tumor stopped growing, after 6 months it began to reduce in size, after 3 years there was no sign of him ever having the tumor...there must be something to these ancient methods if they're still around after all these centuries, even in the face of modern science and medicine....just saying...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: , , Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #344127 by Gisteron

RyuJin wrote: is it a scam though?

Yes.

if someone genuinely feels that they have benefited or learned then that is all that matters to them.

That's awful. I would hope more things than that would matter irrespective of what they feel benefits them, but maybe that's too high an expectation to make of people... At any rate, I recall saying that I can appreciate an argument in favour of letting people waste their resources. What is concerning to me is encouraging and promoting that wastefulness in others, but I guess I better "just shut the hell up" than dare voice any such concern...

i have seen enough energy work to know that i do not know everything (i have seen frauds and i have seen people get legitimate results) and that the scientific method cannot explain everything (even scientists have admitted that there are things science still can't explain).

It can't explain where the storks stash the babies before they fly them to young parents, nor how the storks keep those babies from growing up all that time. Just because science can't explain something doesn't mean that there is a thing there to be explained in the first place, let alone that woo-woo can explain it.

the power of belief is difficult to understand or explain...

And yet, it has been.

i know a man that had a tumor that medical science could not get rid of and he was told by his doctors that he only had a few months before the tumor would eventually kill him, the man turned to "pseudo sciences" and holistic treatments and after 3 months the tumor stopped growing, after 6 months it began to reduce in size, after 3 years there was no sign of him ever having the tumor...

So does this man or his doctors have names? Was the location size and growth behaviour of the tumor noted down and what were the uncertainties on the prognoses? How old was the man, where did he live, what job did he work and what was his immediate family's history with cancer like? What tests were performed on him before, during, and after these "procedures"? Which one of the procedures was the one that did the job? Which ones and in which order, if they were multiple? What mechanism specifically did the working procedure employ that the doctors refused to in their efforts to help the man (if any such efforts were made), and did they keep their licenses after this was made public? Why is it that we hear all of these countless anecdotes of anonymous people with unspecific sequences of vaguely described events, but not one thoroughly documented case, not one properly conducted study?

there must be something to these ancient methods if they're still around after all these centuries, even in the face of modern science and medicine....just saying...

First of all, no, that's nonsense. Just because something is old or has persisted for a long long time doesn't mean there must be something to it. It doesn't even mean there could be, if we're being technical. Stork theory of child conception has been around for quite a while, too, as has astrology, but if we want to stick with medicine, there are people in the west still attempting at balancing their humours despite modern science and medicine rightly abandoning that practice because they know better now. People aren't always up to date and even more seldom critical enough to tell fact from fiction. And that's ignoring vulnerable people who are biased towards the comforting lie over the harsher reality they face.
But at any rate, Reiki is not an ancient method, so that point is moot anyway. It's just under a century old, you can buy certificates for pocket change and any credible evidence to support its efficacy is yet to surface, which may be part of the reason why it is so often cited as one of several prime examples of modern pseudoscience.

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 6 months ago #344130 by
This seems to be a roundabout way of saying that Gisteron's opinion doesn't matter. Today many are too quick to tell those that don't agree to be quiet or that they shouldn't be allowed to speak. The point of these types of forums should be the open exchange of ideas. Instead of dismissing their opinions, perhaps you should present your side of the argument with evidence to rebut Gisteron's position and show the efficacy of proposed treatments.
We can have civilized discussions without resorting to dismissing each other's opinions. You may not change their mind, but you will at least be respecting their opinions and their rights to express them.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi