Jedi and Doctrine question

More
7 years 8 months ago #251522 by Breeze el Tierno
Enough for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Amaya, Brick, Leah Starspectre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #251529 by Leah Starspectre

Cabur Senaar wrote: Enough for now.

This goes WAY too well with your avatar :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Breeze el Tierno

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251530 by
Replied by on topic Jedi and Doctrine question
My major issue with Doctrine is it's definition of Jedi-ism as religion VS Jedi way as a philosophy.

I feel quite uncomfortable with the words "believe", "faith' - they all exclude critical thinking and self-sufficiency, sort of. Campbell's position of "I don't need faith, I have experience" feels like the only right one for me.

IMO, religion is a crutch.

I wonder how many of you feel this way.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251535 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Jedi and Doctrine question

den385 wrote: My major issue with Doctrine is it's definition of Jedi-ism as religion VS Jedi way as a philosophy.

I feel quite uncomfortable with the words "believe", "faith' - they all exclude critical thinking and self-sufficiency, sort of. Campbell's position of "I don't need faith, I have experience" feels like the only right one for me.

IMO, religion is a crutch.

I wonder how many of you feel this way.

This is why we study and learn about the proper ideas of belief and faith here against the misunderstood and mistreated notions of it among society... Ignorance, yet Knowledge. ;)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Loudzoo, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251537 by
@Proteus

In that light. Yeah, that way religion is fun. But it's still hard sometimes - to encounter people who believe uncritically... I had few encounters and they were scary.

Perhaps, we might add some psychology into IP, to fortify sound sense and safeguard from manipulations, lunacy and plain old bullshit. The problem is, most psychology books seem to be bullshit, too.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251539 by
A lot of our "problems" with religion, I think, come from the actual word more than what it stands for. When we say Jediism is a religion, we instantly associate it with all the other religions in the world. We're projecting their downfalls onto us.

But, if I said... Jediism is a spiritual path, it doesn't trigger the same inner turmoil.

*shrugs*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251555 by
Yep. But there's a difference between the two, ain't it?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251568 by

den385 wrote: Yep. But there's a difference between the two, ain't it?

Personally I don't see a difference. I've never quite understood why people argue over whether Jediism is a religion, spiritual path, philosophy, or something else. I've always viewed all those things as the same thing. Which is why I never tell anyone that they're wrong when they say that's what they think it is. They're all right in my eye.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251579 by
I still see a vast gap between Jedi and Jediist. Philosophy/religion/spiritual terms help navigate it. It's akin to gap between Christ and christian, Buddha and buddhist - so is with Jedi and Jediist. Maybe, by this definition I myself am not a Jedi. But better shoot for the stars for me.

More
7 years 8 months ago #251582 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi and Doctrine question

den385 wrote: Perhaps, we might add some psychology into IP, to fortify sound sense and safeguard from manipulations, lunacy and plain old bullshit. The problem is, most psychology books seem to be bullshit, too.

This your professional opinion, grounded in science? I'd like to see your sources...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi