Jedi and Doctrine question

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251335 by

Trisskar wrote:

Codex wrote: You are temple member so you are Jedi? :unsure:

Being apart of the Temple dosn't make you a Jedi :)

How can a Temple member be a Jedi who follows the Doctrine (that talks about oaths and commitment)? When there is no oath requirement for a Temple Member? As far as I know, a temple member is Jedi? Could it be that I am missing something? I know that the Doctrine are guidelines, but this it is just very confusing for me. :blush:

~

A Temple Member is a legally recognised Jedi of Temple of the Jedi Order

• Acceptance of our teachings and Doctrine. These serve as spiritual guidance for Jedi. You may hold other spiritual convictions along with being a Jedi.
--> X

Defense: To defend the way of Jediism.
A Jedi is sworn by oath to defend their faith and all it encompasses.

--> X

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251338 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi and Doctrine question

How can a Temple member be a Jedi who follows the Doctrine (that talks about oaths and commitment)? When there is no oath requirement for a Temple Member? As far as I know, a temple member is Jedi? Could it be that I am missing something? I know that the Doctrine are guidelines, but this it is just very confusing for me. :blush:

The only commitment that matters is the commitment that you have to your Jedi path... what we tell you you are is completely irrelevant... if you follow the doctrine, you call yourself a Jedi, not nobody can tell you otherwise :) (And frankly... the doctrine bit is optional to being a Jedi ;) )

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, , Codama

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251340 by
Replied by on topic Jedi and Doctrine question

Edan wrote:

The only commitment that matters is the commitment that you have to your Jedi path... what we tell you you are is completely irrelevant... if you follow the doctrine, you call yourself a Jedi, not nobody can tell you otherwise :) (And frankly... the doctrine bit is optional to being a Jedi ;) )

I know and I have no problems with following the Doctrine, Edan! :laugh: It is just confusing me that it says something.. and another part of the temple says something that looks on first sight as 'opposite'. :) Just not sure how I should understand that opposite thingy. :blink:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251341 by
As far as I see, most people here think that everything is optional for being a Jedi.

Rather populistic paradigm which goes contrary to the only organized thing - Doctrine. Also, it's a paradigm well suited to people who don't feel like investing their time and effort into the path - it makes TOTJO ranks a sort of weekend warrior badge.

IMO, if we take Doctrine away from our understanding of the Jedi way, the whole TOTJO will become just a hangout and then it will seize to exist, because people can hangout anywhere.

IMO, Jedi way is well described in Doctrine and every Jedi path can only benefit from it. Of course, Doctrine is to be thoroughly checked via spirit of the way, but I don't feel like it changes all that often and also, it should be done by the council only.

More
7 years 8 months ago #251342 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi and Doctrine question
I've always read it as a 'Temple Member' being a member of the TOTJO Church can define themselves as Jedi. How well they practice their path is a matter for the individual, and TOTJO provides some services to grow that application of effort like 'Statuses', 'Ranks', 'Offices' and 'Clerical Ranks' or just general community participation.

We only recently removed the requirement for a Simple Oath, due to member feedback, but its still optional. That wording might need an adjustment, thanks for pointing it out!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251349 by
There may be some confusion here between internet forum titles and spiritual/philosophical ones.

"Jedi" is a spiritual/philosophical title anybody can use if they walk the path. This title is notoriously vague, even within the "Jedi" community, and pretty much anybody is entitled to use it.

In the internet/forum world of TOTJO, we have "Guests", "Members", and then the various ranks. "Guests" don't have to accept our doctrine or make any sort of oath or commitment to participate. They don't have to be "Jedi". "Members" have filled out the application and are considered legal members of the Temple, but they may not have taken the Simple Oath yet, or may never decide to. Some wait until after they complete the IP to do so. This means they still may not have made a spiritual/philosophical commitment to the Path even though they are legally a member. They still may not consider themselves "Jedi", or they might.

As Vader says, "The Force is strong with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet."

A Jedi who has sworn an oath to TOTJO (not required) is generally expected to accept the Doctrine and defend the faith and all it encompasses (although the degree to which this is required is always up for debate). These would likely use the title "Jedi".

More
7 years 8 months ago #251350 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Jedi and Doctrine question
People join and become a Member for many reasons. Maybe they want to study Jediism or aspire to become a better person or a Jedi. Merely being a Member makes you a Jedi as much as sitting in a garage makes you a car.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251351 by

Br. John wrote: People join and become a Member for many reasons. Maybe they want to study Jediism or aspire to become a better person or a Jedi. Merely being a Member makes you a Jedi as much as sitting in a garage makes you a car.

emphasis mine

That is one of my favorite sayings John. :laugh:

I was going to say that I would imagine that anyone who becomes a Member wishes to be a Jedi but you'll notice you can also be a Guest. I would say that Guests are people who want to be at the Temple but who don't really consider themselves Jedi. Like Khaos, for example. But I'm not going to tell them that they're not. That's up to them to decide.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251398 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Jedi and Doctrine question

den385 wrote: As far as I see, most people here think that everything is optional for being a Jedi.

As someone who does think that, might I address this... :)

Rather populistic paradigm which goes contrary to the only organized thing - Doctrine.

Everything is also optional for being a Shmabbadoobiguffle. Once we begin defining the word, instantly we start judging each other. You are a Jedi, but this other person isn't for they meet not criterion so-and-so. But then by their definition they are a Jedi but you don't meet criterion this-and-that so you aren't. Conversely, as long as we keep the word undefined, it remains without substance. Now you do refer to the doctrine, so please, do read on, since I will respond to that.

Also, it's a paradigm well suited to people who don't feel like investing their time and effort into the path - it makes TOTJO ranks a sort of weekend warrior badge.

There is no unit of effort. You have no means of expressing how much you invest into the path yourself, let alone anybody else. I recognize that you are only saying that a reductive view of Jediism would benefit those too lazy to put in any. I'm just cautioning against drawing any conclusions from that about anybody who does see it that way.

IMO, if we take Doctrine away from our understanding of the Jedi way, the whole TOTJO will become just a hangout and then it will seize to exist, because people can hangout anywhere.

It is admittedly hard to disagree with this one, especially seeing how I used to raise that concern myself all the time just a few years ago. Looking around now and observing what TOTJO is, it is at the same time hard to see how it is different from any other hangout place. Yes, our discussion topics tend to be more about philosophy than, say, sports, more about politics than about science, and somewhere in the background, unseen to the public, there is this apprenticeship thing going. It is by no means our users that set us apart from any other hangout though. What is wrong with that anyway?

IMO, Jedi way is well described in Doctrine and every Jedi path can only benefit from it.

People don't "convert to Jediism" after they come here. They come here because they think they are in agreement with enough doctrinal points (whether they read the doctrine or not) to believe that they'd fit in. Someone who believes in (some of) those principles can do so with and without being a TOTJO board user or member of the Temple. What benefits them is the community, not the doctrine. To me, for one, the doctrine is of detriment, because every contradiction I cannot reconcile and every singular point I cannot fully agree with makes me fail (at least) the second criterion for Temple membership. I am barred from responding, sometimes even viewing some of the most interesting and meaningful topics I was even asked through PM to contribute to because I cannot force myself to believe some things nor to lie about believing them.

Of course, Doctrine is to be thoroughly checked via spirit of the way, but I don't feel like it changes all that often and also, it should be done by the council only.

First of all, from how I know some of our council members, they have some of the weakest attachments to the doctrine. It is in general not a reflection of their opinion about things. And secondly, why should it be? What makes the council fundamentally more qualified to represent the TOTJO community to itself, let alone to visitors? We have elected none of them into their offices and we have no means of pulling any of them out either. Most of what is going on up there is completely opaque to us. Now I'm not saying we have great reasons to be grossly dissatisfied with our leadership - far from it. I just find it preposterous that given how little accountability we expect or demand from our administrative block we would freely bestow exclusive powers upon them.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Proteus, Amaya, Edan, , , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251424 by
@Gisteron - I appreciate your very rational approach!

I presume, the point in my previous post is wrong. I'd really want to see TOTJO more advanced, but, I guess, those I know among us want this too. And the trouble with it is altogether different then can be solved thru words or definitions.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi