New Degree System of Jediism?

  • Akkarin
  • Akkarin's Avatar
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:16 #225556 by Akkarin
Replied by Akkarin on topic New Degree System of Jediism?
Having more degrees would complicate matters, they seem superfluous whereas the ones we have now (of which there are two) actually correspond to significant steps in your learning.

tzb wrote: Your depiction of the current scheme also misses the M.Div, Master of Divinity, gained with Senior Knighthood and completion of Seminary.


Regarding M.Div and D.Div, neither are actually a thing anymore, because we don't have any policies designed to actually grant them. The reason the D.Div is there is because I chose to leave mention of it, and when it was used it was used honorifically. The post-Knighthood part of the degree needs to be changed, if it includes degrees beyond B.Div we'll just have to wait and see.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • tzb
  • tzb's Avatar
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:18 #225557 by tzb
Replied by tzb on topic New Degree System of Jediism?
Ok. The Details of Degree Scheme post pinned in the forum still lists them, I wasn't aware they'd been scrapped. My bad :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Aqua
  • Aqua's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:19 - 31 Jan 2016 20:20 #225558 by Aqua
Replied by Aqua on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

Akkarin wrote: Having more degrees would complicate matters, they seem superfluous whereas the ones we have now (of which there are two) actually correspond to significant steps in your learning.

tzb wrote: Your depiction of the current scheme also misses the M.Div, Master of Divinity, gained with Senior Knighthood and completion of Seminary.


Regarding M.Div and D.Div, neither are actually a thing anymore, because we don't have any policies designed to actually grant them. The reason the D.Div is there is because I chose to leave mention of it, and when it was used it was used honorifically. The post-Knighthood part of the degree needs to be changed, if it includes degrees beyond B.Div we'll just have to wait and see.


Guess that, your words answer my question :blush:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 20:20 by Aqua.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2016 20:26 #225560 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

Aqua wrote: I can not find something about a half degree in the faq? It confuses me. :dry:



We try not to talk about the nitty-gritty of this stuff too much, but the B.Div is a Bachelors degree and therefore is equivalent to what is commonly thought of as 'a degree' - i.e. when you go to university in the traditional sense, you graduate with a Bachelors degree (at least, in the UK we call it that!).

Here at TOTJO that degree (the B.Div) is worth 400 points/credits. All of the work that you complete over your entire time here contributes to these 400 points.

At the point of becoming a Knight you would have earned 200 points/credits so far, which is the requirement for the A.Div - so you can see that numerically speaking, it is quite literally half of the full B.Div degree.

Does that help?
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Aqua

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Aqua
  • Aqua's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:29 #225561 by Aqua
Replied by Aqua on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

V-Tog wrote:

Aqua wrote: I can not find something about a half degree in the faq? It confuses me. :dry:



We try not to talk about the nitty-gritty of this stuff too much, but the B.Div is a Bachelors degree and therefore is equivalent to what is commonly thought of as 'a degree' - i.e. when you go to university in the traditional sense, you graduate with a Bachelors degree (at least, in the UK we call it that!).

Here at TOTJO that degree (the B.Div) is worth 400 points/credits. All of the work that you complete over your entire time here contributes to these 400 points.

At the point of becoming a Knight you would have earned 200 points/credits so far, which is the requirement for the A.Div - so you can see that numerically speaking, it is quite literally half of the full B.Div degree.

Does that help?


Ehm, you do give me more questions. Sorry :blush: But I have never heard of the point system, something for FAQ maybe? :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Akkarin
  • Akkarin's Avatar
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:37 #225563 by Akkarin
Replied by Akkarin on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

tzb wrote: Ok. The Details of Degree Scheme post pinned in the forum still lists them, I wasn't aware they'd been scrapped. My bad :)


Fixed. Personally I always forget about the forum posts, I don't really use them, because I find articles better lol. So if anyone finds posts containing stuff which seems out of date please let me know because the information is most likely wrong.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Connor L.
  • Connor L.'s Avatar
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:41 #225564 by Connor L.
Replied by Connor L. on topic New Degree System of Jediism?
Aqua, the points are a system of keeping track of the progress of the student.

The IP is worth 100 points. And, the apprenticeship is worth 100 points (give or take). However, the only people who keep track of the points are the training masters. The Apprentices are unaware of the points they are getting because we don't want people just trying to collect points.

We do not discuss points with people under the Knighthood rank generally. Sorry if that doesn't help much. haha.

In general, the Degree Scheme is ONLY for people who have been Knighted. The Degree forums are hidden from view until being Knighted.

Though, by completing the IP and an Apprenticeship you have completed an Associates Degree (or, as V calls it.. half a degree).

I think the point is that people below the Knight rank don't have much to do with the degree scheme, which is why the information about it is confusing to people who aren't already Knights.

I am still waiting for somebody to come along and tell me what they think the PURPOSE of the Degree Scheme is.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Aqua
  • Aqua's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:42 - 31 Jan 2016 20:44 #225565 by Aqua
Replied by Aqua on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

Connor L. wrote: I am still waiting for somebody to come along and tell me what they think the PURPOSE of the Degree Scheme is.


Removing it is always a possibility. :) I would not mis it to be honest. :blush:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 20:44 by Aqua.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2016 20:44 #225566 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

Aqua wrote: Ehm, you do give me more questions. Sorry :blush: But I have never heard of the point system, something for FAQ maybe? :unsure:



It's because it can be very distracting - it can be tempting to focus on accumulating points rather than just enjoying the studies. ;)

The points exist as a means to an end (a way of fairly verifying the qualifications) but are not supposed to mean anything much more than that - if they were mentioned and explained all over the place it might give the impression that we put a lot of focus on them, which would be counter-productive.

What do you think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aqua

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Aqua
  • Aqua's Avatar Topic Author
  • Guest
31 Jan 2016 20:48 - 31 Jan 2016 20:49 #225567 by Aqua
Replied by Aqua on topic New Degree System of Jediism?

V-Tog wrote:

Aqua wrote: Ehm, you do give me more questions. Sorry :blush: But I have never heard of the point system, something for FAQ maybe? :unsure:



It's because it can be very distracting - it can be tempting to focus on accumulating points rather than just enjoying the studies. ;)

The points exist as a means to an end (a way of fairly verifying the qualifications) but are not supposed to mean anything much more than that - if they were mentioned and explained all over the place it might give the impression that we put a lot of focus on them, which would be counter-productive.

What do you think?


Thank you saying V. :blush: , could not agree more now you all mention it like that.. Dit not thought about the training master and points in that way before :) Now you say it like that, do not want to know it with that in my mind. To come back on the words of Connor, would removing this div. system be good? What would the consequences be if it would be gone?

~ Aqua
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 20:49 by Aqua.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: RexZero