The evolution of telepathy

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 6 months ago #354936 by
Replied by on topic The evolution of telepathy
Rex I cant believe I need to explain this to you but fictional people dont exist so your argument makes no sense. I'm not sure why you would even put it forward. It's like saying unicorns dont believe in magic, therefore magic doesnt exist.
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354941 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic The evolution of telepathy
A good question to ask about the reasonable person standard is what kinds of situations aren't conducive to using it.
And on that note, here's my answer: it's not about establishing facts or consensus, but rather for roughly calibrating one's ideas in a tradition dating back to Plato's invocation of "the many."

A great follow-up question to that would be, "but didn't you use the reasonable person standard to establish the fact that telepathy is silly?"
To which I'd respond, "Yes and no. There's a difference here between the technical fact pattern and addressing the gut check. Establishing the factual infeasibility of telepathy, which a reasonable person might not have the expertise to prove, is definitely a different point. But a person with a baseline scientific literacy would intuitively be able to reject telepathy because they have a passing grasp of the consequences if it was true."

The final question between myself and I would be along the lines of, "well that may be true, but it seems like you're just purposely defining a hypothetical person as someone skeptical of this idea."
"Well of course, that's because I'm the arbiter of reasonability in my post. If other people were asking questions like this, I'd have to give more satisfactory answers. Instead, I'm being asked to explain what 'hypothetical' means."

Tldr: if you are telepathic, read my mind to understand what a reasonable person is

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Edan. Reason: Edited by moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 6 months ago #354955 by
Replied by on topic The evolution of telepathy
Hmm sure but I never said I could read minds in the first place. So I dont know what you expect in that area. What I'm saying is your definition of a reasonable person is flawed because one paramater of your definition is that this person is fictional.

I would say that a reasonable person that is NOT fictional, or in other words real, would be a person that should be skeptical about claims of the world but also open minded enough to NOT reject them outright as you say. So your definition once again fails. Because it leaves your imaginary person unable to actually learn anything about the world.
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354958 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic The evolution of telepathy
I have made the decision to lock this thread. Despite the words actually being used, it has become very clear to me that this thread ceased to be about telepathy some time ago, and I no longer believe it is benefiting anyone.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi