Do you ever think...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311638 by
Replied by on topic Do you ever think...
An interesting point to consider when speaking of balance is that it requires a range that has two end points, with the balance being the exact center between these two points. This generates a number of problems when trying to understand balance as it applies to the universe and to ourselves. We don't always know where the end points are of our lines, so our "balance" will always be different than that of others based on where we believe the end points land. It is even more difficult when the endpoints may not exist at all, such as in an infinite universe.

As an example, I may believe that killing a friend is wrong, but killing an enemy is okay. These are my endpoints, so the balance is someone who is neither a friend or an enemy. You, however, may believe that all killing is wrong. There is no range in which to find a balance in the middle. It is simply a single point that is always in balance. Our two perceptions of this balance will never agree.

I think The Last Jedi did an excellent job of illustrating the difficulty of finding balance in an infinite Force during the scene in the cave. Rey encounters an infinite loop of reflections of herself, with every action being repeated by every other reflection. She perceives herself to be the start and endpoint of the circle, but this could also apply to any of the other Reys in the loop. So, where is the "middle" or "balance"? There isn't one. There is no start and end to infinity, just as there is no middle of time. The endpoints of the line are always moving away from each other, or they are in fact connected in a loop. This message was understated, but definitely done on purpose. We're seeing the fiction move more in the direction of the way we actually experience life. Everything is a gray area.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311649 by

Senan wrote: So, where is the "middle" or "balance"? There isn't one. There is no start and end to infinity, just as there is no middle of time. The endpoints of the line are always moving away from each other, or they are in fact connected in a loop. This message was understated, but definitely done on purpose. We're seeing the fiction move more in the direction of the way we actually experience life. Everything is a gray area.

One could argue that scales can have variable weights. I agree with the whole "loop" thing, being a follower of Potentium. Sometimes the scales favour more weight in darkness, sometimes in light. Sometimes its necessary to do something dark in order to bring the scales back into balance. But does this mean there is no balance? I'd argue that there is balance at all times, just the balance may change from moment to moment, a loop unto itself.

Have you ever had one of those scales that has weights that you can attach to the scale itself to change the needed amount of weight that would be used to bring the entire thing back into balance? Yes, sometimes there is extra weight on one side, so putting equal weight on both sides wont balance it. You need to compensate, balance it for what it is, how it is, at that moment. If the world is dark, bring forward extra light. If the world is light, ensure the scales don't tip too far and create a society bound to the ruling of light.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311651 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Do you ever think...

Arisaig wrote: Sometimes its necessary to do something dark in order to bring the scales back into balance. .

So if i help an old lady to cross the road then i need to kick some other old lady into traffic to balance things out? Or is it like a ratio kind of thing? If so, whats the ratio, 10 to 1? 100 to 1? How do i figure out how many old ladies to kick into traffic?
And am i balancing the universe by doing this or just myself?

....If the world is dark, bring forward extra light. If the world is light, ensure the scales don't tip too far and create a society bound to the ruling of light.

I have an explanation for what it might look like to bring light into a dark world but i dont understand what it means to bring darkness into the world to keep society from being ruled by the light...could you explain this concept in the form of a specific example?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311653 by
If I help an old lady across the street and then go and masturbate in my bed before dinner and feel guilt about that afterwards that must balance things out right?

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by MadHatter. Reason: edited for language

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311654 by

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Arisaig wrote: Sometimes its necessary to do something dark in order to bring the scales back into balance. .

So if i help an old lady to cross the road then i need to kick some other old lady into traffic to balance things out? Or is it like a ratio kind of thing? If so, whats the ratio, 10 to 1? 100 to 1? How do i figure out how many old ladies to kick into traffic?
And am i balancing the universe by doing this or just myself?

....If the world is dark, bring forward extra light. If the world is light, ensure the scales don't tip too far and create a society bound to the ruling of light.

I have an explanation for what it might look like to bring light into a dark world but i dont understand what it means to bring darkness into the world to keep society from being ruled by the light...could you explain this concept in the form of a specific example?

You can kick as many old ladies you want into traffic, but the universe has this funny way of balancing again to compensate for your darkness, and you'll end up behind bars, unable to throw off the balance again.

By darkness, it means doing what others would consider evil in order to do good, or by stopping darkness. If a person breaks into your house and is a threat to your family, you can do evil (kill him) to stop him from doing greater evil. You do what is evil, and would in any other situation be even illegal, in order to stop the balance from being thrown off. Of course, take any possible route to avoid that, but if it has to be the lesser of two evils(him killing all of you, or you killing him to save those you love), take that route.

EDIT: In the end, light will balance out dark, not the other way around. It can be thrown off, but in the end it is light that keeps darkness at bay. Don't engage in dark for the sake of it, don't go doing dark saying past light will make up for it. Do good, and only dip into dark so to stop bigger darkness from rising. Would you not shoot Hitler to stop his evils before they could start?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311655 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: If I help an old lady across the street and then go and masturbate in my bed before dinner and feel guilt about that afterwards that must balance things out right?

I'd appreciate if you'd not insult my beliefs, thank you, as I do not mock you for yours.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by MadHatter.

More
6 years 3 months ago #311657 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Do you ever think...
Personal insults will not be tolerated and violate the rules. Let it go and chill out

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311658 by

MadHatter wrote: Personal insults will not be tolerated and violate the rules. Let it go and chill out

Thank you. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311661 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: If I help an old lady across the street and then go and masturbate in my bed before dinner and feel guilt about that afterwards that must balance things out right?

I'd appreciate if you'd not insult my beliefs, thank you, as I do not mock you for yours.

What exactly are you referring to?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by MadHatter. Reason: edited for language

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311662 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

What exactly are you referring to?

Thank you for your willingness to engage in a conversation about this. You see, I interpreted your response to my statements as a less than tempered interpretation of my views in the effort of being hurtful. If it was not an attack, I apologise, and am willing to explain that that is obviously not my outlook on light and dark and the balance. In my response to OB1, you can see my views on the matter explained.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by MadHatter.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi