Do you ever think...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311355 by
Do you ever think... was created by
Have you ever considered that the world we live in is in a state of balance? Media shows us all the darkness that would set to unbalance us, but that there are equally as many good and just things happening that are not publicized in the same manner?

Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Sometimes I wonder that all the effort to make something better will only be met with something more worse to keep the force in balance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311357 by
Replied by on topic Do you ever think...
I don't think it must be viewed that way.

Otherwise it would incline if you become a Jedi you created a killer or worse. If you do something good you provoke something bad. That would mean if you kill someone you would safe somebody's life.

A state of balance could also mean a balance between elements, between male and female energies and so on.

If in the bacterial world we would take away all the destructive forces we would swim in a one meter deep mas of goo in one day :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311359 by
I must say that idea has passed through my mind many times Tragamite. As it has been said the brightest light projects the darkest shadows.

Could it be, that the way of the Jedi is not to improve the goodness, but to live in the most moderate of places, having the less impact possible on the world?

In my practice, I consider acceptance to be the key to solving this question. If you do something, it could mean that you do not accept the world as it is and you want to change it. But, as the force flows through every tiny things. Consequently, good things and bad things are perfect by nature and we just have to acknoledge that. However, we have no other choice than acting as long as we are not reunited with the absolute because we are in a relative realm, in the process of being perfect.

So I would say, ACT as you can't do anything else and try to accept what you. Accept equally what you consequently chose not to do. If you pass by someone being mugged in the street and you accept to do nothing it is perfectly fine, to me. But if there is something that wants to intervene inside you, then you should definitely do what you are most capable of accepting. Ultimately, when your are ready to enter the absolute, you won't act anymore. You will BE that's it.

Anyways, that is only what I currently practice, but I might realize I am wrong in the future as it already happenned many times over :D

More
6 years 3 months ago #311390 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Do you ever think...
The darkside of the Force to me is a misuse of the gifts given to us. It is to squander and waste what we are granted. But it by allowing emotion to blind us to the proper path or by harming other beings of the Force needlessly. To do good does not generate evil as we all have a choice. The person that will do bad will do bad no matter what you choose to do short of physically stopping them

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311392 by

ནའдհдཀ༑ནკ wrote: Have you ever considered that the world we live in is in a state of balance? Media shows us all the darkness that would set to unbalance us, but that there are equally as many good and just things happening that are not publicized in the same manner?

I dunno if you have, but in the book "The Power of Now" it goes into the "domestication of the human race". Its society's dream, the proverbial sheeple, ingrained in us from a young age.

Media likes to show the bad, the ugly. Because it sells. People don't want to read about charities achieving their goals. They want to read about scandals, celebrities, and disasters. One can argue that this is part of the domestication process. "Look at all this bad! Thank goodness you can depend on the government to save you!" People fear the government these days, mostly because of the news. They've made them seem unbeatable, their word law... when its not. This is because they want to rule, they want us to bow our heads and submit when they're supposed to answer to us.

I wouldn't this balance, but an attempt to throw us off balance. Yes, good happens in the world despite the bad. Powerful light, powerful dark. But we're only presented with the dark, and when we're presented with lighter things, its usually at the expense of others.

More
6 years 3 months ago #311397 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Do you ever think...
Balance is funny.

Is a flying bullet (uh, from a rifle, I guess) balanced?

Is a spinning top balanced?

Is a bike rounding a corner at 110 balanced?

None of these things have fallen over, they all have "balanced" the myriad forces acting on them to achieve a certain....apparent stillness...

but are they balanced, or are the just...temporarily stable?

Perhaps we should not call them balanced until the bullet is unnmoving in a lung, the bike is upside at the base of a cliff, and the top is flat on the table.

Then they have achieved proper "balance", a true state of rest...

(or have they? the table top can decay, the cliff can collapse, and the lung, probably much quicker than the first two, will likely fester and rot, and our original trio of objects will continue to move...)

I warn you, this is a pre-coffee metaphor, so if this makes NO SENSE AT ALL, I won't realise for another 3 hours, and then it will be too late to edit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
6 years 3 months ago #311400 by Carlos.Martinez3
Balance CAN be made by the individual in any place time or any situation. Character can be displayed with or without the use of or even the influence of "dark " "light " or even "grey" . To know yourself : in a way that balanced can be a very possible thing.
As possible as un balance .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311409 by
Generally speaking, I think we won't have to worry about positive energy pushing things about of balance - we're always working out of the negative hole. There's a Judaic/Qabalistic teaching that the heart has two sides - one geared toward the selfish impulse, the other towards the impulse that comes from the Divine. The selfish impulse always leads first - the story says that when it was momentarily "corrected" by G-d due to its tendency to create harm, all life stopped, as nothing wanted to procreate, eat, or do what was necessary to survive. So it had to be restored, but when we do things that follow the impulse to care for others, we make the corrections ourselves, and in doing so, the heart becomes whole. I find a lot of truth in that. What makes our "good" intentions dangerous is failing out of spiritual or intellectual pride - thinking that our concept of what is "good" has the only correct answer. History gives us so many examples of when great harm can be done by people who think they are doing something good, but have become so seduced by their certainty that they know what is best that they make things so much worse.

This morning I happened to be studying Wolfe Lowenthal's "Gateway to the Miraculous: Further Explorations in the Tao of Cheng Man-Ching" (highly recommended!), and there's a wonderful passage from Professor Cheng that he shares:
"A good way to help understand the center of balance is with a Chinese scale: if we put something heavy on the hook, it will bring the level bar down. In order to maintain the level, you have to move the heavy weight on the left side, the counter-balance. The meaning of this counter-balance is 'power' and 'control.' It is this counter-balance weight that always keeps the balance by moving in and out. In order to find the center of balance we depend on the counter-balance. If you control the counter-balance, you maintain your own stability. The ch'i never stops. It's perpetually in motion, perpetually changing. That which allows you to maintain your balance in the presence of change is control over the counter-balance. Holding to the center without counter-balance is like holding to one point stubbornly. It is the same as being stuck."
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by . Reason: typo; clarification

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311418 by
Balance is a lie. There is no such thing. This is because the universe cares nothing about balance. It could care less about any of us as individuals or what we desire or dream for or believe. All it cares about is it's never ending march toward equilibrium. In this process it does not play fair or have favorites or try to balance so called light or dark energy. This is because it knows these things don't exist. It's only mission is achieving this equibrium through the process of entropy, the slow erosion of complexity and order down to its most basic component, that of chaos. Chaos has no sides, no light or dark, no balance, only the maelstrom.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311420 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Balance is a lie. There is no such thing. This is because the universe cares nothing about balance. It could care less about any of us as individuals or what we desire or dream for or believe.

Then explain a man standing on one leg. ;)

Obviously the universe doesn't care about anything, it has no mind, no will. It just IS. But balance is the natural state of the world. You introduce a pack of wolves to an area where they had been hunted out and the entire ecosystem adapts about it and becomes balanced. You burn down a forest, and fresh life springs from the ashes, taking advantage of the sunlight that previously would never have reached the ground. You punch a wall, you're met with an equal amount of force back. All in balance.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi