What would help the Temple Be A Better Place? Suggestions please...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315293 by
I don't pull too much from the fiction, but just like the bible and other books, there is wisdom to be taken from some of the quotes. Do, or Do Not, there is No Try. Be Mindful... In A Certain Point of View, there was a quote I loved that I will probably write down for funeral ceremonies if it's ever needed "Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Rejoice for those who transform into the force." So I think there is good wisdom in almost anything from religious texts, to fiction, to lyrics from the Beatles.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315296 by
Not universal wisdom though to be sure.

How can there be practice without the try? No one just decides expertise in a thing and then just becomes that.

To deny the morning of a loved one is to deny us one of the most basic emotional processes we can ever go through. Denial is not healthy. Celebrate them yes, but also morn them unashamedly. To do any less is to deny our humanity.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315297 by Zenchi

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Not universal wisdom though to be sure.

Your opinion of course...

To deny the morning of a loved one is to deny us one of the most basic emotional processes we can ever go through.

I've always been more of an evening sort of guy myself... :laugh:

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315299 by

Zenchi wrote: Your opinion of course...

That's the point isn't it?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315342 by
Quotes are words, fictional stories are made up, doesn't matter the source, what matters is the meaning they invoke.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315343 by
Because wisdom is innate, we can all enlighten ourselves.
Huineng

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315344 by
All know the way, but few actually walk it.
Bodhidharma

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315345 by
Kyrin,

I agree with you on the mourning. But think there should be a short mourning period. I have a cousin. It's been about 8 years since her son died. It seems like every day FB is filled with messages to that dead son. I think when it becomes an attachment and you can't go on with your life that it becomes an issue. To me the quote is about not letting the mourning control you. Miss them, and go on. I still miss my parents, but I don't spend every hour of every day mourning them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315352 by

rrhodes67 wrote: Kyrin,

I agree with you on the mourning. But think there should be a short mourning period. I have a cousin. It's been about 8 years since her son died. It seems like every day FB is filled with messages to that dead son. I think when it becomes an attachment and you can't go on with your life that it becomes an issue. To me the quote is about not letting the mourning control you. Miss them, and go on. I still miss my parents, but I don't spend every hour of every day mourning them.

Actually the quote says, Mourn them do not, Miss them do not. To me that does not mean letting the mourning control you but to not even engage in the mourning at all. While I agree that we should not let it control our lives I also believe it is a process that is necessary to go through. I also do not believe anyone can put a set time frame for another to go through that process either. I cant say if 8 years is to long, however in that, there could be other circumstances as well. Depression is a major one. Its not something people just "get over" or "shake off". Sometimes a bit of help is needed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315353 by

Atticus wrote:
The fiction was designed in part to illustrate the spiritual questions posed by Campbell, Watts, at al; throwing it out and expecting everyone to relate to the source material without the intermediary metaphor is a waste of what could be valuable and relatable teaching tools.

I agree with Arisaig's point - without the fiction, it's just another NRM mish-mash trying to do what traditional religions aren't satisfactorily accomplishing. As long as it is using the name "Jedi", there is going to be a relationship to what that stands for in 99% of the world, which is the Star Wars franchise. I don't see a problem with that, because quite obviously (based on the number of people I've seen sincerely coming here for spiritual purposes in the past month), there's a lot of us who find something unique and meaningful in it. Separating it out from role-playing IS important, as there's also a good chunk who - despite the FAQ and the big statements in large bold type on the home page - want to play out characters from the fiction rather than doing the work.

To me, the only real difference in this and most of the esoteric-oriented orders out there (including those who've been around for centuries) is that we don't claim a historical base for our philosophy/spirituality, as do Rosicrucians, Neo-Templars, Gnostics, etc. All of them draw some sort of initial model from something they've found in the historical story (and that story itself becomes fictitious from age to age, depending on what is known of the history at the time), and then build their techniques and philosophies, their rule of life, from it. Even traditional religions with a historical founder work on shreds of lore/scriptures, the interpretation of it, and patch in cultural mores for the rest. So...some people are never going to understand that this is as legitimate as anything else, and that's to be expected. One can always just go be a scientist and explore life that way if one wants to strip all but the quantifiable from it.

As for the lightsabers and robes - well, most of the martial arts schools out there practice with weapons that would not be used in real-life scenarios and many of them wear "pajamas" (or more respectfully, uniforms which recall the cultural/historical setting in which their arts were born). As long as you know what you're getting from the training, I do see any reason not to have a little fun. Personally, I find the power that the myth has to inspire and delight - especially for the future generations - to be part of the appeal that keeps me intrigued.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by . Reason: clarification

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi