About Police Shootings (in America, Duh)

More
7 years 9 months ago #247826 by OB1Shinobi

Joda Sett wrote: It's more important now than ever that we, as Jedi, set the example for others to follow. We are ambassadors of peace, tolerance, and patience.

i agree but i really dont have any idea what this actually means in this conversation

if i tell my kid that the lawn is getting out of control and he tells me "We are ambassadors of peace, tolerance, and patience" i will not demonstrate any of those virtues until he goes out there and fixes the problem

if he can fix the problem in a way that is peaceful and tolerant and patient, thats great, just so long as he immediately gets out there and butchers and kills those intolerable weeds and grasses

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247827 by

Karn wrote: My biggest concern is the future of law enforcement. We shed a bad light on LEO, we make them out to be the "bad guy", then who is going to want to be one? I get paid $8.60/hour as a Police Officer, that is about $56/day take home.

Is that true? That's awful! I always expected police officers were paid very well to have to deal with so much.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247828 by MadHatter

Karn wrote: My biggest concern is the future of law enforcement. We shed a bad light on LEO, we make them out to be the "bad guy", then who is going to want to be one? I get paid $8.60/hour as a Police Officer, that is about $56/day take home.

With the ever increasing liability law suits against officers, not departments, you have to get insurance or your personal assets can be taken away for even the most minor mistake in a "routine" traffic stop.

Ok you make 8.60 an hour?Are you in your first year because even then this page says that you make http://www.austintexas.gov/page/benefits-and-salary roughly 57,000 a year which in no way is 8.60 an hour.

You are at risk of being sued ? I must say I doubt that as you have qualified immunity which makes that almost impossible https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/qualified_immunity

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by MadHatter.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247830 by

MadHatter wrote: Ok you make 8.60 an hour?Are you in your first year because even then this page says that you make http://www.austintexas.gov/page/benefits-and-salary roughly 64,000 a year which in no way is 8.60 an hour.

How are you going to show up and tell a guy he doesn't make what he just SAID he makes? Seriously.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247831 by MadHatter

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

MadHatter wrote: Ok you make 8.60 an hour?Are you in your first year because even then this page says that you make http://www.austintexas.gov/page/benefits-and-salary roughly 64,000 a year which in no way is 8.60 an hour.

How are you going to show up and tell a guy he doesn't make what he just SAID he makes? Seriously.

Well first of all I corrected the number and secondly if the pay rates listed for his job are conflicting with what was said why would I not question it. Especially when the city of Austins own page cites a MINIMUM of 13 an hour for city employees which is what a cop is. https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/what-citys-living-wage

Oh and then there is the BLS site that states that only ten percent of cops make 16 an hour which is the low end. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes333051.htm

So yes I think its reasonable to be skeptical of numbers that do not match what is documented salaries.

Knight of the Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247832 by

MadHatter wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

Well first of all I corrected the number and secondly if the pay rates listed for his job are conflicting with what was said why would I not question it. Especially when the city of Austins own page cites a MINIMUM of 13 an hour for city employees which is what a cop is. https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/what-citys-living-wage

There's something to be said for those that can TRUST their fellow Jedi to not being lying. And I thought I had trust issues! What reason does he even have to lie about this?

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247833 by MadHatter

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

There's something to be said for those that can TRUST their fellow Jedi to not being lying. And I thought I had trust issues! What reason does he even have to lie about this?

No idea what reasons there are but I even added BLS stats that call this into question. When the numbers do not match the pay rates I am familiar with having considered the field myself I went to look them up and no numbers I find match that. So yes its reasonable to question what is put forward when nothing that is publicly available matches it. Not the page citing what the salaries are, not the page that states minimums for city employees and not the BLS page for police officer salaries.

EDIT AGAIN WITH MORE INFO

Even the BLS stats for the area state that the median salary is roughly around 30 an hour even if the low end is half that its still 15 which falls in with all the other links numbers. Im sorry but something does not add here http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_12420.htm#(4)

Knight of the Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247835 by
This is tacky. Karn has never been anything but honorable. I'm out.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247837 by MadHatter

Snowy Aftermath wrote: This is tacky. Karn has never been anything but honorable. I'm out.

The pay seems super low to me and really not even close to what I know city employees to make so I went to see what the deal was and nothing matched. Im sorry if that bugs you Snowy but when something seems off to me I fact check.

Knight of the Order

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247838 by OB1Shinobi

Silas Mercury wrote: Here's what Michael Moore has to say: (from Stupid White Men)
* Who gave us the black plague? A white guy.
* Who invented PBC, PVC, PBB, and a host of chemicals that are killing us? White guys.
* Who has started every war America has been in? White men.
* Who is responsible for the programming on FOX? White men.
* Who invented the punch card ballot? A white man.
* Whose idea was it to pollute the world with the internal combustion engine? Whitey, that's who.
* The Holocaust? That guy really gave white people a bad name (that's why we prefer to call him a Nazi and his little helpers Germans).
* The genocide of Native Americans? White man.
* Slavery? Whitey!
* About 20 percent of young black men between the ages of sixteen and twenty- four are neither in 'school nor working- compared with only 9 percent of young white men. Despite the "economic boom" of the nineties, this percentage has not fallen substantially over the last ten years.
* In 1993, white households had invested nearly three times as much in stocks and mutual funds and/or IRA and Keogh accounts as black households. Since then, the stock market has more than doubled its value.
* Black heart attack patients are far less likely than whites to undergo cardiac catheterization, a common and potentially lifesaving procedure, regardless of the race of their doctors. Black and white doctors together referred white patients for catheterization about 40 percent more often than black patients.
* Whites are five times more likely than blacks to receive emergency clot-busting treatment for stroke.
* Black women are four times more likely than white women to die while giving birth.
* Black levels of unemployment have been roughly twice those of whites since 1954.

Every time they catch a serial killer, it's a crazy white guy. Every time a terrorist blows up a federal building, or a madman gets four hundred people to drink Kool-Aid, or a Beach Boys songwriter casts a spell causing half a dozen nymphets to murder "all the piggies" in the Hollywood Hills, you know it's a member of the white race up to his old tricks.

ok so this is a great example of why you should never listen to morons or ideologues (like michael moore/rush limbaugh)

the black plague was not "given to us by a white guy," it came from a bacterium and was spread by fleas
and apparently it's origins actually go back to china

heres a link: Origins Of The Black Death Traced Back To China, Gene Sequencing Has Revealed

pvc and the combustion engine, ect - does mm like the fact that he can walk into the kitchen or bathroom and turn on the sink?
or that he can water his lawn in the evening?
or that someone can mow it for him while he is jet hopping around the country shooting his mouth off?

if so, then he should stf about pvc and engines or invent something better

who has started every war america has been in?
well some might say the japanese started one, but not every war was wrong for us to be involved in anyway
there wouldnt even be an america if it werent for a war
and yes i agree that americas leaders have historically been white, but that changes more and more with every generation and youre going to see the same kinds of mistakes from every race

fox programming?
sure, the programmers at fox are white, so was sir isaac newton, was it being white that made the difference?

the punch card ballot?
from: http://whatis.techtarget.com/reference/History-of-the-punch-card
"The standard punched card, originally invented by Herman Hollerith, was first used for vital statistics tabulation by the New York City Board of Health and several states. After this trial use, punched cards were adopted for use in the 1890 census."

the company he created is now called IBM and while i do have critiques of it, it has undeniably done some useful stuff - in fact i would say that IBM has done way more useful stuff than mm, really

slavery goes back to the Sumerians of Mesopotamia (and very likely further but thats as far back as history takes us) and every race has engaged in it

white poeple also fought against the holocaust and other races commit genocide as well:

i was going to list one or two for every race but here, this is easier (read it!)

http://www.rantpolitical.com/2014/12/06/15-worst-genocides-in-history/

there are known genetic and racial factors to many illnesses, this does not make white people bad lol its goddam genetics, and its got no moral implications

mm is a moron

"About 20 percent of young black men between the ages of sixteen and twenty- four are neither in 'school nor working- compared with only 9 percent of young white men. Despite the "economic boom" of the nineties, this percentage has not fallen substantially over the last ten years."

this is a tough one because there ARE societal factors involved in black poverty, and poverty is the source of all kinds of ills, including drugs and crime to a great degree

but when mm (or anyone else) simplifies this into "white people are evil" what he achieves is simply adding fuel to fire of social contention; he half ass identifies a problem and then goes on to misdirect attention away from actual solutions

basically, whites are statistically more likely to be affluent thank blacks, and the history of slavery and then discrimination against blacks is absolutely the single greatest factor of this, but just as whites have been the cause of the problem, so too have there always been whites working to change it, and so too are there blacks who dont

people with money get better medical treatment and have better access to opportunities for more money

the real equalizer in america is money, and so if you want to promote equality in america the key is in doing whatever it takes to ensure that all people can make a good living for themselves as a result of discipline and talent

you cannot generalize by race because within every race there is great degree of personal differences and no single label will apply to every person of any race, except the obvious label of the race itself (i.e. yes all white people are white, but no, all white people are not evil)

so, dont be a racist, and dont promote racist propaganda

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yugen

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi