[Science] - Free will could all be an illusion

More
7 years 11 months ago #240349 by Adder

Gisteron wrote: Everything that makes us who we are maps to a finite set of bodily functions to the point that the soul is now completely out of gaps to be crammed into.

I don't think it is so... linear, for want of a better word. Sorry if I've taken you out of context, its just a fun topic to throw around. So, I'd agree it serves as the basis, a ground representation, but not that it is the entirety of capability. I reckon abstraction occurs of that reference set and variations are processed as part of potentially non-deterministic decision making, subconsciously.

Anyway the point being that 'if' a system entertains randomness in its abstractions (if only by varying intensity of existing parts of the ground representation) to represent different representations for contrast against its ground representation, then it seems fair to consider that any decision making capability (operating prior to interaction with that ground representation to drive change) could likely have an argument for free will. I'm assuming randomness is not determinate beyond the limitations of its starting state and type of random effect - as to have none of either could explain delusion!!

So if its mediating that awareness of present self with abstraction for an expectation of future result in the environment, I'd say environment also add's enough randomness of its own to feed the chance of actual non-deterministic decision making. Sure perception of environment is seemingly filtered to some extent to meet our biological needs, but I think the decision making process between awareness and action is so slow compared to the process of maintaining self awareness, that its disjointed enough to give us enough room to distract ourselves from ourselves enough to convince ourselves we are our own self.
:S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240381 by OB1Shinobi
limitations are a prerequisite for -- identity maybe, to keep it relevant

so, for example, just being a human being, requires one to not be a bird - there is a limitation in choice aka a limit of freedom just off the bat in order to exist as an independent entity (so far as we -or I- understand that)

so if there is any validity to the idea it has to be accepted as having implicit limits

so freedom or free will would not be the ability to take any and every course of action possibly conceivable, but rather to choose between the various options which still remain after recognizing our limitations

the experiment which began this discussion iirc postulated that we "change our memories after the fact" -- would it make a difference if we determined right now to make a particular decision under particular circumstances in the future?

like if i decide right now that i will definitely (or definitely will NOT) say "thank you" to the next person who posts in this thread, is that evidence of "free will"?

or is it enough at least to offer valid counter-point to the experiment?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #240398 by

MartaLina wrote:

Khaos wrote:

But, we are all here on this big blue ball anyway, so what's the harm in speculating?

Simply because there is no harm, does not mean it has any worth.

And, maybe one of you smarty-pants will be inspired and figure out how to answer this, or some other currently questionable(?) question

While I do not mind the appeal to my intellectual vanity, I am not so egotistical to think that I have the ability to figure something like this out.

First and foremost because it doesnt matter.

I do understand your opinion Khaos that it does not matter , but as with Free Speech , Free Will is presented to us as some kind of present that we cannot seem to be able to unwrapp , utterly fascinating , utterly timewasting , and therefore very irresistable to ponder over ...

Apparently for some.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240403 by OB1Shinobi
i already said that in order to prove that i have free will i was gonna hit THANK YOU to the next post -
so i wanted to explain that, while i did get a smirk from Khaos's comment, I thanked it because i didnt..have...a....choice.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Manu, Loudzoo

More
7 years 11 months ago #240408 by Manu
https://youtu.be/cxFD5kSqzUw

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago #240410 by Lykeios Little Raven
If we do not have free will in our decisions what is determining what decisions we make? Is there some predetermination involved here? Are we saying that any decision we make is a foregone conclusion?

It's certainly an interesting study but I'm not sure that this demonstrates a lack of free will. There could be any number of reasons for people selecting correctly more than 20% of the time. It could be a flaw in the number of times a certain circle turned red. People could pick up on a pattern. There could be some level of precognition involved as someone else mentioned. It could just be dumb luck. There could be reporting errors involved. And I'm still not sure how this demonstrates a lack of free will even if people are choosing the correct circle up to 30% of the time. The person is still choosing a circle out their available options.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240440 by Gisteron

Lykeios wrote: If we do not have free will in our decisions what is determining what decisions we make? Is there some predetermination involved here? Are we saying that any decision we make is a foregone conclusion?

No. Determinism does not follow from us not having any agency.

It's certainly an interesting study but I'm not sure that this demonstrates a lack of free will.

Why does it need to? What about the idea of free will is so plausible as to put the burden of proof on those doubting it? As far as I know it was never demonstrated in the first place. I am not even sure there have been any noteworthy attempts at it.
Now, I haven't read the paper but if it is to be taken seriously at all we can expect it to be about a test for agency, not a test against it, what ever the latter even could entail. After all, finding evidence of free will, if it is indeed real, should be possible, at least in principle, as should be failing to do so. Yet, if it isn't, finding evidence for a lack of it would still be impossible. That's why we call it the default position, the null hypothesis, as it were. And that's why the burden of proof lies where it does.
Of course, all of that is pending an actual definition of agency, or free will, but again, I'm confident the paper does provide the one they were working with, if it be a study worth anyone's time...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 11 months ago #240449 by Jestor

Gisteron wrote: So no, none of us smarty-pants are going to answer this conundrum somehow, because there isn't a thing to be answered. There just isn't even a "there" there...

I hope you weren't offended, I like being silly, and "banter-esque"....

I was trying to compliment you in my own way... :)

And, not a "backhanded" one either, lol...

Khaos wrote:

But, we are all here on this big blue ball anyway, so what's the harm in speculating?

Simply because there is no harm, does not mean it has any worth.

And, maybe one of you smarty-pants will be inspired and figure out how to answer this, or some other currently questionable(?) question

While I do not mind the appeal to my intellectual vanity, I am not so egotistical to think that I have the ability to figure something like this out.

First and foremost because it doesnt matter.

As serious as you seem to be, you, and others (glancing around, lol) seem to enjoy batting around these topics too, lol....

Or else you'd not post here, :P.....

Maybe it matters, if only as a puzzle... :)

To your point, it doesn't mean it has worth... But, it could, as well....

Who knows what the future brings?

:)

Were not many great breakthroughs crazy notions at first?

Conversations of "what ifs"?

Im sure many more (notions) have gone nowhere, than have turned fruitful, but how many times have "happy accidents" answered other questions/situations that they were not the focus of the train of thought?

We are thinking creatures, too much, sometimes, and even distracted thoughts, unimportant thoughts, those that don't matter to "us", matter somewhere/to someone... :)

OB1Shinobi wrote: the experiment which began this discussion iirc postulated that we "change our memories after the fact" -- would it make a difference if we determined right now to make a particular decision under particular circumstances in the future?

like if i decide right now that i will definitely (or definitely will NOT) say "thank you" to the next person who posts in this thread, is that evidence of "free will"?

or is it enough at least to offer valid counter-point to the experiment?

I don't know that we'll ever find a "perfect" answer....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240456 by
Wow , this one definitely is about the question and not about the answer :laugh:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by . Reason: spelling errror

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 11 months ago #240477 by ren
Before proving the existence of ''free will'', we should first ask what it is exactly we are trying to prove...

What is free will? Is it the unlimited ability to do as one wills? The ability to say no? the ability to ignore ''external stimuli'' and do it anyway?

Or is it the ability to think, to make decisions, in a manner which is not limited, biased or otherwise influenced?

To this question the answer is obviously ''no''. We are easily influenced, subconsciously and consciously. We make different decisions, experience different moods as a result of minuscule biological changes. And most importantly we are limited ''by design''. One of the functions of the brain is to prevent the processing of large amounts of information (by he brain). This is because the brain is not capable of processing the information: Not only does the brain actively prevent you from accessing certain information, therefore introducing a bias, it's actually not capable of processing it anyway (It is limited). It is also ''wired'' in a way that favors certain thoughts or actions when certain conditions are met. Some behaviors are genetically coded and activated when certain stimuli occurs and this seems irreversible (the brain cannot un-grow). Which means our thoughts are never "free", but always the result of a biased and limited process.

So, instead of using ''destiny'' as an argument for or against proving the existence of free will, I think it's a lot easier to say that we don't have free will because we are not capable of having free will. We have a will, and a legal freedom to do or not do as other people would like(to a certain extent, and it varies).That's about it...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, OB1Shinobi,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi