[Science] - Free will could all be an illusion

More
7 years 11 months ago #241122 by Gisteron

CableSteele wrote: My take on free will is that it is not so much a cut and dried issue of either free will OR destiny, but a range of probability that narrows down the closer you get to any given event. Weather prediction is a good example of this. Even the supercomputers that have millions of inputs and simulate the entire planet cannot determine the exact course a storm will take. It should be a mathematically predictable course, but any storm can suddenly turn at the last minute and do something totally unexpected (I'm not saying the storm has free will, but it's an illustration of how something can appear to be destiny, and yet behave in a totally unpredictable manner).

First of all, this goes back again to this false dichotomy of "either determinism or free will" and the weather example is perhaps a good illustration indeed of why it doesn't work. If everything that has no free will is determined, then how can anything at all have free will? And is everything that is not pre-determined necessarily free to make choices? Do we even call something a choice if there was no thinking involved or if it appeared to come randomly, independent of any inputs?
Now, on to a more related note, I'm no meteorologist and I understand that as any science, this, too, only has predictive models with a finite inaccuracy, not perfect mathematical models. Ontop of that, if we had perfect models, a perfect prediction could only be made by taking into account each and every input, irrespective of how little impact it has on the outcome, and to do that we would have to know absolutely everything about the entire universe, from the turbulences of our own sun's EM output to the orbital mechanics of all the billions of stars in the Milky Way and their respective radiation patterns to the same detail about all the countless galaxies far beyond what we can even detect. So no, we cannot expect computing power alone to result in perfect weather predictions. What we can expect is that some models are more refined than others, and some computers are faster than others and some input databases are more exhaustive than others. We can predict, by understanding how much information is available to us, the maximum probability for every given maximal deviation of reality from the predicted value and we are pretty damn good at it. I dare suspect, albeit not assert, that even the most unexpected course of a storm was one that was predicted yet deemed unlikely by the insitute tasked with plotting it.

But just like the storm, even if you could see all of the inputs, including a person's entire life experience and all outside influences (emphasis added), they still could surprise you and do something totally unexpected.

Source, please. We don't know of any person who's entire life including all outside influences was documented. Again, this would require us having exhaustive knowledge of the entire universe. Yet even without it we can predict behaviour with astounding precision suggesting that there is a strong correlation between the inputs and the outcomes.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #241347 by OB1Shinobi

Gisteron wrote: Free will in the sense that there is some kind of "me", some fundamental essence of my person that is to any part something other than an outcome of chemical processes governed strictly by the laws of nature ... that is something I have yet to see some indication of.

we have an enduring sense of identity - i wouldnt try to make an argument that there is any immortal or eternal bit of "self" that exists independent of the body, much less that survives it, but i dont see any reason to feel that we must be MORE THAN biology in order to believe that there is a "self"

i doubt we'll ever find a "soul" in the way that we can find a liver but when we say "human" we dont just mean a liver or a brain or a heart

i think the buddhists have the right idea with the skandhas , at least insofar as to suggest that "we" are the result of multiple, overlapping processes, at work simultaneously

remove any of the individual process and you remove the person

but i think we have a case of "greater than the sum of the parts"

i know that there are a lot of people who are very attached to the traditional idea of "souls" and that there is contention over the issue, but personally im not really into it, i think we're culturally passed that debate and i dont see any reason to hold onto it for or against

we know that the intelligences are highly genetic , but "nurture" can either help us to get the most out of our intelligence, or not

and that [http://www.washingtonparent.com/articles/1001/temperament.php]temperament also has got a strong genetic component[/url], but again, "nurture" and environmental lessons and experiences can help to bring out or suppress things like patience, empathy, and social confidence, ect

after the basic foundations of inherited genetics and the conditions of the prenatal environment, we seem to develop ATTACHMENT STYLES as a reaction to the effectiveness of our care-givers

these styles can persist throughout life, but also can be modified a great deal as a result of growth

all of these processes shape us, and a lot of the shaping is beyond our control

but one of the very first lessons that i picked up from intro to psych was that psychology is a discipline based on the belief that people are capable of change

i am interested in the part that changes, and i think that it is here that we find whatever freedom or free will may exist, and here where we find whatever the best term our personal identity might be

some part of us can change to some degree

my main interest is in the questions "exactly which part, and exactly how much can it change?"

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 11 months ago #241366 by Gisteron
Since it is hard to tell what the sum of our parts is, to gauge whether we are indeed any more than that is tough and while in a more casual context where the specifics wouldn't matter I might sincerely assert that we are, I wouldn't make any argument hinge upon it.
The reason I bring this up is two-fold. First, of course, the free will argument is often times tied to religious matters and matters of immortal souls. In terms of how well they are supported and how much they are claimed to affect, free will and the soul are pretty much interchangeable. However, a more pressing issue is that whenever we speak of us making choices, especially free choices at most partially influenced by outside and inside stimuli and underlying neurobiology, we imply that there is any such thing as an "us" to begin with. I do that mistake myself often, too, when I say that "I" didn't choose what thoughts occur to "me" or what feelings catch up with "me". Free will in any and every sense that is in defiance of natural law, be it deterministic, random, or a combination of the two, necessitates this kind of essence - call it a soul if you must - as do many discussions about it, and while I am happy to entertain hypotheticals, I caution to remember to come back and recognize that this is what they are and that for now the sort of free will that we would consider "free" in any kind of absolute sense hinges upon something that falls apart under any amount of any intellectual, let alone scientific, scrutiny.

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago #241385 by Edan
I didn't read the original article (sorry J)... but I saw this article about neuroplasticity today and thought it probably fit here in this discussion... http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/14-defense-free-will

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241406 by

Edan wrote: I didn't read the original article (sorry J)... but I saw this article about neuroplasticity today and thought it probably fit here in this discussion... http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/14-defense-free-will

That was very interesting. It was also good to see names that I've seen tossed around in this thread such as Harris. I think I prefer Schwartz in this though. It is my choice, after all. ;)

More
7 years 11 months ago #241445 by OB1Shinobi
allowing for the assertion that cognitive-behavior therapies only offer effective treatment for relatively small range of medical conditions, the fact that they are effective AT ALL indicates something of a self, to my way of thinking

the basic premise of CBT is to develop new thought and behavior patterns in the individual - in some cases these treatment methods work better than the medications which are associated with the illnesses

again, im not suggesting a "soul" in the traditionally religious sense, but it does seem that if we can identify a situation where "altering the thought and behavioral patterns" will provide more effective relief than medication alone, (pure biology), or even will help increase the effectiveness of the medication, then doesnt that suggest some validity to the idea of the "self"?

People are complicated.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 11 months ago #241452 by Jestor

Gisteron wrote: So what if some things are generated randomly and are neither chosen by agents nor are predestined? It would neither fall under free will nor under lack thereof, yet it is at least not on the surface internally contradictory. So it must either be a third category or a part of at least one of the others. Then of course we need to decide whether these categories have any overlap with each other. It would seem, unless we define them as disjoint, that an awareness and conscious decision, for instance, can still be the part of a predestined fate or a result of random influences in part or in full...

Well, lol...

There are lots of 'what ifs', and the 'weather' example kinda shows some, true...

As the weather has no intelligence as we currently define it, then, it has neither free-will, or predetermination...

But, if a plant can grow toward the light, because that is what it needs/desires/wants, then I would consider that freewill, lol...

IN the same manner that a human has it, although a lot more simplistic, and less philosophical, :lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
7 years 11 months ago #241490 by Gisteron
Yea, well, a "some kind of self" I have no problem conceding to, again, if no argument hinges upon specifics. What I say is not indicated is the kind of self that is actually beyond the body. One that actually wouldn't be affected by either therapy or medication. Now, of course we can point to people who received treatment to little or no effect, but that is again missing the point. The kind of self that is outside of our chemical nature couldn't be affected by it, even in principle, in any detectable way, because such are the limits of investigation. We are talking about beings that are us, yet in control of us, controlled by us yet out of our control. The list of absurdities goes on. Some weaker kinds of self (and by weaker I mean weaker in their definition) may indeed be demonstrable, and associated with respectively weaker kinds of free will. The question at that point is whether it still makes sense to refer to the things by these labels, seeing as colloquially we usually mean more...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #242323 by OB1Shinobi
i transcribed this from a video lecture, which you can find in the spoiler

“Swanson shows that there are these layers in the nervous system that go from the spinal cord upward. The first ones are the somatomotor neuron pools, and the second are locomotor pattern generators, and the third are locomotor pattern initiators, and then the fourth are locomotor pattern controllers. It’s a hierarchy. The way to kind of lay Piaget over top of this, in some sense, is to think of the somatomotor neuron pools as “simple actions that can be implemented automatically”. And then, the locomotor pattern generator has taken those simple actions and chained them into relatively more complex melodies of action, so kinetic melodies, and then the locomotor pattern initiator more or less decides when those kinetic melodies should be implemented. And even that can be unconscious. So its still at that level of brain organization, its still more or less automatic. Stimulus/Response is a way to think about it. And then you go one level higher and that’s where you get the ability to voluntarily use these automated things.

So, I can show you an example of how this works:

This is called a Ballistic movement. So, I’m gonna take my hand and I’m gonna bring it down really fast right towards that edge. Ok, so [mimes slamming fist on the table] Alright, now, so that’s very fast movement. Now, one of the things that’s cool about that movement is that ... once that action starts, it happens so fast that its done by the time the information about the action actually gets to my brain. So, once I let that go, I cant control it. What Im basically doing is disinhibiting the motor control systems that I already have established in my psychophysiological being. Im disinhibiting one of those and then it runs automatically. And so that’s what youre doing all the time, when youre acting in life.

Its very interesting to think about free will in relationship to these hierarchies because it sort of goes like this: out there in the future you’ve got free will. But as the future moves towards the present, you don’t. Like once it gets close to the present, you have to have initiated something automatic that will happen. And so I can give you an example. People who play the piano very well, they look ahead of where they are playing in the music. Because they know how to do this [mimes playing piano with hands] they don’t have to think about it. What they have to do is look ahead, so that the part of them that knows how to do this gets ready to do it. And all of you are experts in that way, likely, all of those who drive, are experts in that way because when you’re driving, where do you look? If youre a good driver, on the highway, you look like at least half a second or a second ahead. Why? Well because fifty feet ahead has already happened, right? Its too close in time for you to do anything about it. So basically what youre doing is youre looking at the road and then youre disinhibiting sequences of action that are the ones that are going to correspond to what you want to do with the road most adequately. And the closer you get to executing one of those motor behaviors, the more automated it is. So by the time you manifest the action, theres no free will there at all. But you set it up to be released in some sense. So I could say “well, this isn’t theres no free will in THAT” [mimes slamming his fist on the table] but there was [free will] in deciding to do it at that point. So, and so that’s sort of how your automaticity your freedom. You gotta think about it as something extending across time.”

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #242331 by Jestor
Thank you for that...

"you have the destiny to live out your free will choices"

Thats what I have said, lol... :)

Edit: Imma watch that tonight... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi