Rants far and wide

More
9 years 4 months ago #174673 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Rants far and wide
I'm frustrated that it is not okay get angry because I can never tell if I'm in the right to BE angry or if anger itself is something to be avoided entirely and the frustration of getting angry even knowing that.

rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #175067 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide
I just read a suicide note written by a 17 year old trans girl. It was set like a dead man's switch. She was going to delete it if she survived her attempt otherwise it was queued to be released at a certain followed by individual addresses to family and friends who knew her personally.

For those who don't know suicide is fairly high among trans people, our youth are especially vulnerable to it.

You can read her note in its entirety here .

My heart cannot comprehend the kind of pain and isolation Leelah was feeling. What her parents did to her goes by many names, but I would call it what it is: torture. What her parents did is cold and evil, further reinforcing my belief that standard Christianity is a load of hogwash. People think this kind of stuff is a rare occurrence, people say it only happens in movies, or that we make this stuff up to drum up emotions. A young woman is dead because she felt like nobody cared about her and nobody she talked was really listening to her. She was suffering from depression too which, it sounds to me like, she was never able to get treatment for because her parents had a crucifix too far up their butts to see that their daughter was suffering with something their ignoble God couldn't or wouldn't cure wish a wave of his magical hands.

I wish there was something I could have done for Leelah. I wish there was something I could do for young trans girls to help them find shelter, safety, support, encouragement, love, and acceptance. I wish I knew how to reach my younger trans sisters. It's in this moment I feel powerless to do anything. I wish I could provide the things that I never had growing up in my fundamentalist Christian home. I wish I had a way to reach them all with love and affirmation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #175096 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Rants far and wide

Jamie Stick wrote: I just read a suicide note written by a 17 year old trans girl. It was set like a dead man's switch. She was going to delete it if she survived her attempt otherwise it was queued to be released at a certain followed by individual addresses to family and friends who knew her personally.

For those who don't know suicide is fairly high among trans people, our youth are especially vulnerable to it.

My heart cannot comprehend the kind of pain and isolation Leelah was feeling. What her parents did to her goes by many names, but I would call it what it is: torture. What her parents did is cold and evil, further reinforcing my belief that standard Christianity is a load of hogwash. People think this kind of stuff is a rare occurrence, people say it only happens in movies, or that we make this stuff up to drum up emotions. A young woman is dead because she felt like nobody cared about her and nobody she talked was really listening to her. She was suffering from depression too which, it sounds to me like, she was never able to get treatment for because her parents had a crucifix too far up their butts to see that their daughter was suffering with something their ignoble God couldn't or wouldn't cure wish a wave of his magical hands.

I wish there was something I could have done for Leelah. I wish there was something I could do for young trans girls to help them find shelter, safety, support, encouragement, love, and acceptance. I wish I knew how to reach my younger trans sisters. It's in this moment I feel powerless to do anything. I wish I could provide the things that I never had growing up in my fundamentalist Christian home. I wish I had a way to reach them all with love and affirmation.

Yes well...um...

A few of my own thoughts on this. I know a transgender person. She decided to be a He, but is biologically still a She. Now, I don't care if you are the kind of guy who likes hugging kittens or driving trucks. All I care about is that biologically, you are a guy in the sense that you have the proper "package" so to speak. Vice versa, I don't care if you are the kind of girl who has tea parties, or plays airsoft down at the local arena...again so long as biologically you are a girl.

Our society is far, far too tolerant of freaks. I mean freak in the sense it is found in the dictionary "Something uncommon with, and unnatural to it's surrounding natural environment". We are too willing to let anyone be whatever they wish, even if it causes enormous cultural clashes.

Let's make something clear. The USA is an awful place, this much I acknowledge and have no desire to state otherwise. But we HAVE a culture, contrary to popular beliefs. We are a fighting people, we are a warring people. We have the war against terror, the war against homelessness, the war against drugs, the war against inequality.

Everything is a war with us.

Our culture, was and is based on intolerance. If you aren't white, christian, and straight, we don't want you here. The declaration of independence says freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Nowhere in the declaration of independence, or the constitution, does it mention tolerance or acceptance of what most in this country consider to be perverted individuals.

If you don't like that, or this country, I completely understand. As I said, it's truly a horrible place.

Regardless, it is the culture here. If you don't like it, go somewhere fucking else. We are tired of having to accommodate everyone and all their fucked up perversions, and not only being made to tolerate it, but asked to celebrate it as well.

So long and thanks for all the fish

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175097 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Rants far and wide
Kohadre, unless you were trying to be ironic I'm not sure I have the words to describe how disgusted I am with that response.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175099 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide

Kohadre wrote: Regardless, it is the culture here. If you don't like it, go somewhere fucking else. We are tired of having to accommodate everyone and all their fucked up perversions, and not only being made to tolerate it, but asked to celebrate it as well.

Ironic or not, these words seem like some kind of terrible violation of our community.
It is possible maybe to have an opinion about this matter by the admins or the counsil?
Thank you in advance.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #175104 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Rants far and wide
Thankfully the American culture has changed is evolving with time and, at least in my experience, a larger number of Americans have moved away, or are in the process of moving away, from the culture of "If you aren't white, christian, and straight, we don't want you here" to realizing that the "all men are created equal" and the "certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" apply to everyone. I mean, that's how we got away from slavery to accepting interracial marriage to the majority of the states in the country allowing same-sex marriage. I, for one, am thankful to be in a country that is willing to be accepting of the way people truly are. It would seem to me that those still... stuck... in the mindset that the American culture is "If you aren't white, christian, and straight, we don't want you here" need to get a reality check... Or, as was so eloquently put, go somewhere else.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

More
9 years 3 months ago #175105 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Rants far and wide
Kohadre, if it was intended to be ironic, I think you're going to want to clarify pretty sharpish because it really doesn't come across like that...

The way I read it, I assume that you are being serious...

And if you are not, you may want to look at how you communicate irony in future because I'm sorry to have to say this is really offensive :(

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, Avalon,

More
9 years 3 months ago #175107 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Rants far and wide
Well, one sort of has to read between the lines with Koh's response. Certainly it is a bit disgusting because it smells of his own disgust : not necessarily over transsexuals (or anyone else who doesn't fit into the WASP in-group of the American Empire) but of the injustices - and hardships stemming from them - that he himself has to endure.

As it were, please don't have a bloodbath here -- it is a space for rants, so let's just see it as both Jamie and Koh have ranted. Let's treat this space as a Wailing Wall. In other words, anything goes ...

Yes, it is true, the poor girl got treated pretty badly. And it is also true that non-heterosexual people are still a pretty marginalised group. Gay marriage wasn't going to fix that and now we are going to carry the crusade on to all the other prefixes that one can attach to "-sexual" to the point where everyone is being unjust to everyone else ...

Human beings are pretty unjust to one another. It really doesn't have too much to do with the actual out-groups or sub-cultures or whatever other affiliations one is making, there is always someone to blame for the future looking quite bleak. It is a problem to be addressed, certainly -- but imposing laws and punishments is not a way to change morality.

It is going to require some serious devastation probably. The sheer number of people who are on prescribed psychotropic drugs - and, although France is still the leader per capita :pinch: - this does not bear witness to a very rigid "war on drugs". War on drugs they can't tax, perhaps. War on drugs that bring no profit to the pharmaceutical lobby, perhaps ... But Western Civilisation is not at all anti-drug (neither America nor Europe). We are effectively suppressing our serotonin-dopamine cycles and cutting off our capacity for Love quite well with them ...

... and it isn't as though too many of the last two or three generations had a very well-developed capacity for real compassion anyway.

Getting back on the gay slide now. Sure, (X)-sexuals have had it pretty rough for quite a while ... basically since the Protestant Reform tried to make everything so pure by wringing our human animality out of us. But in the last 40 years or so we've seen a shift ; it seems to me that the people now who are absolutely the most cruel to (X)-sexuals are other (X)-sexuals. There is a lot of micro-rules for being in these in-groups and treason can be pretty innocently committed.

Like the iron-fist Law : don't you ever, ever, ever be over 40 or you get exiled ! :angry:

I'm sorry. What happened to that poor youth was dreadful, but we really shouldn't pick our wars so carefully. I do feel for this sort of thing, but know quite well that someone who is 45-60 that commits suicide because they are all alone and no one really gives a shit, that doesn't get the same press coverage.

One sort of injustice is not worse than another -- it is all Injustice.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd,

More
9 years 3 months ago #175108 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Rants far and wide

Kohadre wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote: I just read a suicide note written by a 17 year old trans girl. It was set like a dead man's switch. She was going to delete it if she survived her attempt otherwise it was queued to be released at a certain followed by individual addresses to family and friends who knew her personally.

Yes well...um...

A few of my own thoughts on this. I know a transgender person. She decided to be a He, but is biologically still a She. Now, I don't care if you are the kind of guy who likes hugging kittens or driving trucks. All I care about is that biologically, you are a guy in the sense that you have the proper "package" so to speak. Vice versa, I don't care if you are the kind of girl who has tea parties, or plays airsoft down at the local arena...again so long as biologically you are a girl.

Our society is far, far too tolerant of freaks. I mean freak in the sense it is found in the dictionary "Something uncommon with, and unnatural to it's surrounding natural environment". We are too willing to let anyone be whatever they wish, even if it causes enormous cultural clashes.

Let's make something clear. The USA is an awful place, this much I acknowledge and have no desire to state otherwise. But we HAVE a culture, contrary to popular beliefs. We are a fighting people, we are a warring people. We have the war against terror, the war against homelessness, the war against drugs, the war against inequality.

Everything is a war with us.

Our culture, was and is based on intolerance. If you aren't white, christian, and straight, we don't want you here. The declaration of independence says freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Nowhere in the declaration of independence, or the constitution, does it mention tolerance or acceptance of what most in this country consider to be perverted individuals.

If you don't like that, or this country, I completely understand. As I said, it's truly a horrible place.

Regardless, it is the culture here. If you don't like it, go somewhere fucking else. We are tired of having to accommodate everyone and all their fucked up perversions, and not only being made to tolerate it, but asked to celebrate it as well.

I'm sorry you feel this way about what is actually only a part (and a continuously deprecating) aspect of the American society. But you know what they say - your focus determines your reality. Your chosen perception is a part of that, and in time, you simply transform into a version of the very thing you so passionately despise, making you no different than them.

I'm not sure if you were being satiracle or not. Be careful with this dance though. If you're trying to get something across, this is one of those things you want to be as clear as possible about with your wording, or else, the message won't be received, and all that will be in its place is an impression that is probably the opposite of what you mean to convey.

This is a rant thread, but it is not to be used without some level of social control over one's use of words, to keep it within the rules of the forum.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 3 months ago #175110 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide

Kohadre wrote: We are tired

We are all tired of something...

Some of us, the constant barrage of people wanting recognition...

Some of us, the ignorance we still see in indivduals wears on us as well....

We are tired of having to accommodate everyone

Not sure who you were including, but, here your line of thinking, at least what you posted, is in the minority...

Ironic or not, these words seem like some kind of terrible violation of our community.
It is possible maybe to have an opinion about this matter by the admins or the counsil?
Thank you in advance.

This is a rant thread....

This is not a discussion thread...

We try not to censure anyone, and he is as entitled to his opinion as anyone...

Unpleasant as it is sometimes... :dry:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi