Should jedi train in combat?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239948 by
Replied by on topic Should jedi train in combat?
Triscar, I agree with you on how one should train. If you train in a martial art, you should train as if you are planning to fight, so as not to develop "flowery fists" or a useless martial art. What I meant is that in the course of training in a martial art, you can learn many other things that are not martial, such as discipline, perseverance, etc. and those lessons can be much more applicable and useful in our day to day lives.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239949 by
Correct :) Agreed. I just feel it is necessary to remind folks to not forget. Combat is combat. It is not something you just play around with because you want something other than combat. May as well go do Yoga or Dance or Hiking or Biking....all of which can earn the same spiritual and diciplinary aspects.

It's like picking up a gun and taking it to the shooting range. No matter how sportsman you get. No matter the meditative and deciplinary aspects you gain (Taking apart a rifle, cleaning and putting it back together can be very meditative) It is still a gun and it can still kill you. Treat it like a gun.

Treat Martial arts like Martial arts. You are learning techniques on how to hurt people....no matter how pretty the wrappings can get around it ;) And some of those wrappings can get veeeeeeerry Frilly XD haha!!
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239950 by
Fighting is only used by people who like to change / keep a situation. If we accept things to come and go, fighting would be not necessary at all.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239951 by MadHatter

Aqua wrote: Fighting is only used by people who like to change / keep a situation. If we accept things to come and go, fighting would be not necessary at all.

Not always a wise course of action or inaction as it were.Accepting someone harming you or stealing from you just makes you a doormat. Some times one must fight for what is right or to protect the wellbeing of themselves or others. Some situations are simply not tolerable to just passively accept.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by MadHatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 11 months ago #239952 by Codama
Replied by Codama on topic Should jedi train in combat?
I think a jedi should train every part of themselves. We are dedicated to improve in all areas...mental (, spiritual) & physical. And combat training, sword fighting usually depends on the trainee to build a specific endurance and strength. As it was said earlier, sword fighting is almost certainly and "outdated" form of combat training. But, can be a training that is part of the Jedi culture (tradition). I practice an aggressive form of pat-a-kai (or western culture refers to it as patty cake or pat-a-cake bakers-man) its a hand to hand combat style training where the trainee is only allowed to start training when they are at a young age. I'll post more about the style in another thread (smiley face). Love u guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239953 by

Codama wrote: I practice an aggressive form of pat-a-kai (or western culture refers to it as patty cake or pat-a-cake bakers-man) its a hand to hand combat style training where the trainee is only allowed to start training when they are at a young age. I'll post more about the style in another thread (smiley face). Love u guys.

*blinks* Isn't that a.....kids....game? :P I await the new thread ;)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239954 by
I do think that every person should be trained in some from of self defense. I believe that if more people were capable of defending themselves we would see a decline in crime. Criminals aren't looking to work hard, if people are more likely to fight back they aren't as likely to attack them. As has been stated, there are many other benefits as well.

I also think that if a person has no interest in learning to fight they shouldn't be forced to learn.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239958 by
I think having some sort of combat training is always a good idea, especially through martial arts or boxing, things like that. Personally, I feel that they can be used as a meditation as some have already stated. The physical aspect of it is definitely important, as training your mind and body gives it discipline and strength as well as serenity for some. Personally, Yoga and Tai Chi are both parts of my routine, one for strength and flexibility, one for fluidity and calm. I do a basic routine with light jogging or walks every day, and it keeps me feeling light in mind, body and spirit. Besides that, I am very much into archery and sword fighting, which use parts of my body that dont normally get use. All this combined gives me routine, it gives me strength and calm and allows me to work out any issues in my mind I might have. The ability to care for myself in a fight is really just an added bonus. Though honestly I do tend to have a lot of energy on the days that I rest, I get bored on those days. Now I can at least meditate on The Force on those days!

More
7 years 11 months ago #239960 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Should jedi train in combat?

Samjames340963 wrote: Should a jedi train in the use of saber fighting and sword fighting? Is there any threats against the jedi order in which we must defend? Im new to being a jedi :)

"Should" is up to the individual Jedi. I, for instance, am trained in firearms. But they're required in my job. My defense is for my family, myself, and the people around me. The Order can take care of itself ;)

I strongly believe in working within your strengths while shoring up your weaknesses. If some sort of combat is your thing, by all means go for it (although I would recommend something a little more....useful in day-to-day life UNLESS you just are absolutely in love with the idea of swordsmanship then go for it :D ) If combat ISN'T your thing, maintaining the level of physical fitness you can within your capabilities is a good idea too I think.

It's all a balance between your calling, and your time availability. Honestly, as much as I'd love to get involved in martial arts or some sort of swordsmanship or archery, I have too many other things that I rate a higher priority that have taken my time and focus.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 11 months ago #239962 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Should jedi train in combat?

Samjames340963 wrote: Is there any threats against the jedi order in which we must defend? Im new to being a jedi :)

The biggest threat to the Jedi Order is the idea that there is an "us" to defend and a "them" to fight. Our greatest opponent is our own mental maps, and no amount of physical combat will defend you against yourself.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi