Should jedi train in combat?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239931 by
Should a jedi train in the use of saber fighting and sword fighting? Is there any threats against the jedi order in which we must defend? Im new to being a jedi :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239934 by
Replied by on topic Should jedi train in combat?
The student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"

The warrior replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

As a martial artist, I don't believe that the martial aspect is what is important to learn from an art. I believe there are many other lessons to learn from martial arts outside of the physical aspect, and that is what is important to take away from martial arts. The ability to fight is a secondary benefit to training, but I do not believe it should be a focus.

I think there are always threats to any belief system, and generally fighting is not the solution, but being able to defend others from danger, being able to recognize a real threat (which allows you to recognize when to act and when not to act), and discipline are great things that can be earned from learning any martial arts.

I believe it is probably quite rare that someone would require the physical aspect of sabre training as a Jedi in their daily lives, but it doesn't mean that it couldn't be useful in some ways, though I will allow others who've been a part of the order longer than I to answer.

May the Force be with you, always.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239938 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Should jedi train in combat?
In my opinion, sword's are pretty useless as defensive weapons except against other swords, as they are not proportionate for self defense against anything less capable then a sword (unless used proportionately), and are simply ineffective against anything more capable then a sword. I think where the value of them lies is the value to exercise both areas of kinesthesia and the awareness, perception and processing related to building a capacity for self defence. Though there would probably be better things to achieve the most benefit, as each weapon has its own limitation and restrictions on proper employment. If you can develop the suitable mental gymnastics, then I reckon its easier to achieve the most benefit from the functional strength required for whatever weapon might be suitable for ones circumstances.

Entropist wrote:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Adder.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239939 by Prelalo
I prefer to use combat as a last resort, and to only save lives and not to just take it. My style of combat is also my meditation, a fluid motion with eyes closed as I listen to my surroundings. During combat my eyes are open though.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Prelalo. Reason: Left something out

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239940 by
I on the other hand feel that Martial Arts and Combat are.....Martial Combat. There is no such thing as "Learning Martial Arts outside of the physical aspect" as Coyote suggests. To each there own :) If you are not training your physical body to behave in a combative manner.....You are not doing Martial Arts. ;)

Should a Jedi Train in Combat? Yes, Absolutely!

But not because there is some kind of threat against the this Temple, or the Jedi or any fictional reference like that ;)

A Jedi should Train in Combat because it is

A: A Great Physical Workout
B: A good Mental tool
C: A Spiritual form of Meditation and
D: An important part of being prepared.

Sword

The Sword is a fantastic art to study. Not only does it give you a great workout but a good sense of body mechanics and spiritual extension. It also can be trained with Toy Lightsabers which are surprisingly really great training props both in single training and sparring with partners (the blades don't hurt upon impact, just a slight kiss) I actually prefer them over bokken or Shini.

Hand to Hand

Is more practical and realistic and should be a focus if one wishes to learn Martial Arts/Combat. At the end of the day, your hands, feet and body are always with you ;)

Pistol/Rifle

Depending on your local laws. This is a also a great combat subject to study. It teaches awareness, focus, and a new level of self discipline.

What is most important is what you are searching for in your path. Martial Arts covers more than just active fighting off bad guys but....it IS still a tool for fighting. Whether you truly do face a combative situation or simply use it for Mind, body and spirit.....is entirely up to you. :)

Just my 2 cents.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239941 by Prelalo
Whatever ever the case never underestimate your opponent.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239942 by Prelalo
Or yourself

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239945 by
If people wish to train in combat, good for them! I think study of a martial art is a great idea and creates harmony between mind and body.

However I don't believe most need those skills for physical combat. In my life (at least since I was about 12) I've been lucky to rarely encounter physical violence, but I think all of us have frequently encountered mental/emotional/spiritual aggression. That, for me, is a more worthwhile and practical topic for Jedi to study.

Simply put, being able to kick someone's ass is not as important as being able to have a good conversation with them, empathise with them, show them that we're all human, all valid, all trying our best with what we have. Whilst there might absolutely be moments in life when the ability to knock someone to the ground could be useful, we are Jedi. We are here to cultivate harmony in all things. The ability to swallow one's pride, de-escalate a situation and calm what we find within ourselves are therefore some things I'd seek (and have sought) to develop first.

Most people I've met, even those who could beat the hell out of me, are victims of their own violence, daily.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239946 by Wescli Wardest

Samjames340963 wrote: Should a jedi train in the use of saber fighting and sword fighting? Is there any threats against the jedi order in which we must defend? Im new to being a jedi :)

Jedi are people. We are not immune to the hazards of the world, just like everyone else. I believe all people should have a basic understanding of self-defense tactics and practice them regularly. Practice alone will not make you ready for when the need arises. You also have to be mentally prepared. So we should all take a few minutes every week, some may argue every day, to think about different scenarios and what you might do. Play it out in your head.

Each of us has a fight or flight instinct, sometimes we freeze up. With a strong mental development one can overcome their natural response and act accordingly. And with a trained body, it will respond to your command.

The threats we face are the same as everyone else. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239947 by

Wescli Wardest wrote:

Samjames340963 wrote: Should a jedi train in the use of saber fighting and sword fighting? Is there any threats against the jedi order in which we must defend? Im new to being a jedi :)

Jedi are people. We are not immune to the hazards of the world, just like everyone else. I believe all people should have a basic understanding of self-defense tactics and practice them regularly. Practice alone will not make you ready for when the need arises. You also have to be mentally prepared. So we should all take a few minutes every week, some may argue every day, to think about different scenarios and what you might do. Play it out in your head.

Each of us has a fight or flight instinct, sometimes we freeze up. With a strong mental development one can overcome their natural response and act accordingly. And with a trained body, it will respond to your command.

The threats we face are the same as everyone else. ;)

I feel it should also be noted that. Just because one learns Martial Arts and Self Defense.....Does not mean they are foregoing and tossing out common sense and critical thinking. Obviously the ability to talk your way out of a rough situation and ending it in a peaceful solution is ideal. This does not mean it will always be successful.

Basics of multiple subjects (Including public speech & Debate) is never a bad thing for a Jedi to acquire :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi