What to do with anger?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #180996 by
Replied by on topic What to do with anger?
I have been following this forum for a while now and I wonder about anger.

I cannot think of a single situation where my anger is not sadness turned out. If I am angry the internet is too slow am I not sad I am wasting time? If I am angry someone hit my car am I not sad they did not make it right by leaving a note?

Anger seems very different to me than anxiety or stress. With anxiety or stress exercise and time are what break down adrenaline and cortisol to help us return to peace.

I am still trying to find my footing on this so please let me know if I am way off base.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 hours ago #239292 by
Hello, thank you for your answer.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 hours ago #239293 by
Thanks, sometimes I repress anger, now I know it's wrong, makes me feel depressed. The best is chanelizing anger to action.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 hours ago - 8 years 4 hours ago #239318 by
Mm.. emotions, very versatile subject. I have seen this topic before, a good wile back.. Maybe good to place a post here..

Do you repress anger because you do not like anger, or because you do not like the things anger create? When I have emotions that influence other people, I can empathize it very well that they do not like it sometimes. Is the trigger your emotions? Or is it the empathy that makes you feel sad?

If you would agree with me that you have no problems with anger, but that you do not like how people feel because of your anger.. would that mean that you have no problem with anger, but with the processing? And if anger is part of yourself, that you cannot get rid of, would it mean that you have no problem with yourself, because you do not hate the anger in yourself?

Accepting yourself is the very first step to stabilize your anger in my opinion. Personally I would suggest to keep talking whenever you feel that you are comfortable with it. :blush: There are no need to rush, problems that build up can be more problematic than problems that are shared. A balanced self is able to adapt to its environment.

Force shine with you,

~ Aqua
Last edit: 8 years 4 hours ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #240472 by
Me myself had anger problems since i was teen. It got to the point of pushing person that got me angry, later with time I menage to control and hit wall or brakings something. Then how I grew older i healed good amount of my "rage" with yoga. Now it is very rear and it doesnt get to the braking point, but when i feel angry/ iritaded I work out. It is honestly very helpful and you spend all that negative builded energy into something positive. I still doing yoga from time to time and i am trying to add meditation into my routine.
So yeah, working out when angry and yoga/meditation to prevent it.
Hope it helps someone, it did to me :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #240483 by
The American Psychological Association agrees with many of the strategies that have already been mentioned. Some of these details may be helpful, such as the section on cognitive restructuring. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/controlling-anger.aspx

As was also mentioned earlier, and in my professional opinion, regular physical exercise is one of the best tools you have. Research suggests that trying to "burn off steam" by intensely exercising when you are already angry can be counterproductive under some circumstances, but especially as a primary prevention strategy to keep anger from developing in the first place, it is invaluable.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240762 by Leah Starspectre
Thank you for sharing your experience (and to everyone else for sharing their advice and experiences)

I'm not a professional who can give real advice, but I can offer my own experience.

I've never been an overly angry person, but I did spend a long time seriously resenting others for how they treated me.

How I've grown out of these negative feelings towards others (though I'm not perfect and still have my moments...), is to turn the focus outward from myself and try to see a bigger picture. Rather than being angry or frustrated at someone else for being mean or rude or ignorant, I tell myself it isn't personal and think instead "Perhaps there is a good reason they are behaving that way?" Maybe they had a poor upbringing, or maybe they were in a hurry because of a personal emergency, or they're simply wrapped up in dealing with their own inner dragon. Usually, instead of being angry, I feel pity and compassion for them.

Compassion or pity for another doesn't always resolve my resentment or anger in extreme cases, but at least it dulls it.

It takes a lot of practice, but it's working for me.

I hope you're able to find peace in time.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi