The Field, and Lynn McTaggert

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #134808 by
I have been poking around in the studies section, and I have to ask...

Is it necessary to complete every single part of it? I don't think I can sit through listening to all of The Field. I am familiar with Lynne McTaggert, and while I would not go so far as to say I hate her, I have nothing but the deepest levels of contempt for that woman.

There are very few things in this world I well and truly despise, but she is a fear monger of the highest order, which I feel goes directly against Jedi teaching, or at least should. It certainly flies in the face of the Doctrine.

She is so viciously anti-vaccine and influential (in certain circles) that she could fairly be said to be responsible for more deaths than any malpractice, and she very well illustrates in just the opening parts of The Field that she has what might be generously termed an infantile grasp on Quantum Mechanics.

Her publications do harm by suggesting such tripe as HIV can be cured by Vitamin C, and in what I have thus far gotten out of the Field, she leaps on singular studies to support her views, while ignoring vast bodies of evidence that contradict her. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that anything like a psychic exists, and so far in history every last one of them that has risen to fame has been proven to be either mentally unbalanced or a fraud.

Quantum mechanics is an immensely complex subject that requires a very good grasp of advanced mathmatics to understand, and McTaggert clearly does not. Things that work on a quantum level do not work on a large level, no matter how much she might want them to. This is why a unifying field theory is such an important goal in the world of Physics.

I am sorry to say that if this is what the ToTJO espouses- fear of modern science, and the deplorable idea that if you are somehow disadvantaged in life you just aren't wishing hard enough, that I cannot in good conscience be involved.

I can understand that it might serve as a helpful illustrative tool... but The Field has no bearing on reality, and if this woman has any sort of contribution or bearing on the Jedi Order, then by extension, the Jedi Order does not in fact represent my belief as I had thought. It stands against everything I believe.

But I do not think that this is something the Jedi Order was perhaps aware of, when it placed her in the curriculum.

After all, isn't one of the statements of belief that "Jedi believe In a society governed by laws grounded in reason and compassion, not in fear or prejudice?"

Lynn McTaggert does not possess a rational, reasoning intellect. She condemns the measles vaccine as something lethal (which according to the CDC, people like her are responsible for the current outbreak). She claims to be able to help people with incurable forms of cancer, merely by paying her. She sells such fakery and hokum as electromagnetic bracelets, which have been proven time and again to have no actual benefits other than that of a placebo- it tricks your mind into believing it helps, but only if you already believe.

Doesn't the very existence of a woman like this in the curriculum go against the idea of Wisdom, Knowledge, and Focus?

I cannot understand why this pseudoscientific quackery wasn't chucked out long ago.

I understand and respect that many people believe in something like a unifying force, in The Force. There's no reason to say it doesn't exist- according to science, it very well may. But we don't know that for sure, and it certainly isn't anything like what Lynn McTaggert is selling if it does. And for those who follow a code similar to what is espoused in the Doctrine, intentional ignorance by investing heavily in this kind of pseudoscience should not be even considered- it corrupts the mind by filling it with falsehoods.

In short? Lynn McTaggert is a fraud, and a harmful one.

http://www.badscience.net/2006/02/the-great-tamiflu-vaccine-scare/
http://dmitrybrant.com/2007/09/05/the-non-science-of-lynne-mctaggart
http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2010/12/ted-quacks.html
http://touchinglynaivebooks.wordpress.com/2006/02/26/the-vaccination-bible-lynne-mctaggart/
http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html
http://jdc325.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/wddty-what-doctors-dont-tell-you-magazine-and-the-hpv-vaccine/
http://josephinejones.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/quack-rag-distributor-threatens-to-sue-singh-relevant-links-and-what-you-can-do/
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #134809 by
Replied by on topic The Field, and Lynn McTaggert
You know, I'm not in any official capacity here, but if you put this exact post in your journal, I'd say that's a fair report on her work and that would be the assignment anyway.

Seems like you know enough about it and have thought a lot about it. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #134811 by
I agree with Connor.

You could put that exact post in your journal for the I.P. and you'd pass with flying colors. Because something is assigned for study, doesn't means it's required for you to believe in it.

The Field has come up in discussions behind the scenes a few times, and it probably will again.

I find it very interesting to hear the perspectives of those that disagree with something, sometimes more than those that have nothing but praise for a topic.

My thinking is not as staunch as yours is against the Field, but I'm not into any of the pseudo-sciences either, i.e. Reiki, The Field, crystals etc.

However, having said that, I can't deny those that get benefits from such things, even if it is nothing more than the placebo effect.

Don't worry about it :) Nothing wrong with disagreeing...

More
10 years 2 months ago #134817 by Br. John
One purpose of the Initiates Program is to test for critical thinking and see if someone agrees with something just because it's there. It's not a list of things endorsed or believed by The Order.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: , steamboat28, Jestor, Alexandre Orion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #134819 by
That's reassuring. Thank you for the reply, Brother John.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 2 months ago #134822 by Brenna
Perhaps its just my sense of humour, but theres something deliciously amusing about an online Temple for a religion based on a bunch of space wizards from a science fiction movie, being accused of involvement with quackery that has no bearing on reality.

:silly: :woohoo:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #134832 by
Thanks for posting this, Ty.

I understand the use of having a kind of textual "test" of a person's credulity, but... I mean, when I joined I thought these first materials were our kind of foundational texts as a religion. The Campbell and Watts pretty much have been, for me.

Given the lack of commentary on the IP exercises once completed, is this test really serving its purpose? I have no doubt this book is either a stumbling block or a real turn-off for others when weighing up if we're a legitimate religion or a bunch of lunatics. Rather than saying we all have individual conceptions of the Force and what it means, to me it sort of suggested you guys all believed it to be explained by this ( imho ) pseudoscientific book by an infamous quack. Whilst I have no problem that some may find it very useful, convincing and representative of their beliefs, to others like myself and Ty who are already aware of McTaggert and her personal agenda... I don't feel it fits well with Jediism, as I understand it some months later.

I try not to criticise without suggesting an alternative... how about someone write an essay on different conceptions of and explanations for the Force (a little like the essays in clerical training), giving a breakdown of the more common ideas? Off the back of this brief breakdown, you could provide links to a variety of texts (including The Field, perhaps the Tao Te Ching, perhaps a more general look at prana/qi/reiki and others) for each view, and ask Novices to write a minimum-word-counted essay on both one they feel convincing, and one they feel farthest from their personal conception of the Force.

That way you're still encouraging interaction with the idea, still asking people to look at their own credulity, but not prescribing a single specific definition for critique. I believe the Force is inherently personal - to provide a single, long "explanation" of it right at the start of the IP seems, to me, unrepresentative of the actual range of belief at the Temple.

More
10 years 2 months ago #134837 by Gisteron

Br. John wrote: One purpose of the Initiates Program is to test for critical thinking and see if someone agrees with something just because it's there. It's not a list of things endorsed or believed by The Order.

And yet, while one is still new and superficially familiar with the community, it is not an unreasonable assumption to suppose that IP contents are actual study contents rather than a test. Besides, its not that there is a way of failing this particular portion of it. If you have no critical approach to this particular exercise, its not like it is objectionable. If you demonstrate you looked at the material at all, beyond that, it is of negligible relevance what it is exactly you think of it when it comes to progress in the TOTJO studies, isn't it?

On top of that, just to keep up my reputation of posting notoriously controversial pronouncements, here's a thought:
Rather than testing people for their critical thinking skills (as if seeking out a community that at least on the surface lists committment to any kind of a supernatural power somewhere among its priorities wasn't enough of a testimony) and then making the results of the test entirely irrelevant for any further progress, how about introducing people to critical thinking instead? Surely, whosoever shall not like that introduction or not stand up to its requirements will be filtered out by the test itself rendering a review of the results even less of a necessity. If critical thinking is a valued skill in this place, then surely an uneffective test for it has much less use than active teaching of it, and I'm not even mentioning how much more of a service the latter would be to the people who go through such exercises.

*starts building a pillow bunker for protection from the incoming bullet hail*

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #134842 by Alexandre Orion
:) ... putting a flower on Gisteron's pillow --

This would be a most welcome change. Showing people that thinking is not just 'remembering something one had at some moment learnt' - developping some critical thinking skills, the wise application of methodical doubt AND separating the action of thinking from the passivity of simply holding an opinion could be one of the most humane things the Temple would offer in the Initiates' Programme. That is, if one decided not to pursue anything else, that could be at least one gift we could bestow ...

It is a very apt concern being expressed here and one that I personally had not previously considered. It is very possible that someone freshly come into the community would not grasp at first that this selection ("The Field" en occurence) is presented as something to ponder - NOT something to revere. As it were, none of the texts/materials we present should be revered ... This is not the norm, as most people understand it, within a church of a religion.

Yes, thank you, Ty, for again bringing this to our attention. :cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #134851 by
I haven't read McTaggart's other works. I had resistance to The Field because it had Oprah roll out appearance, which does not appeal to me.

The Field is harmless. She doesn't claim to prove anything. Neither does Campbell.

She doesn't claim to be scientist. The reviews about her are far more sensational and emotional than The Field. She claims or proves nothing. She does say an awful lot of perhaps, maybe, possibly . . . .

I haven't heard any one at the Temple make any claims that any of the works in the IP are fact or reflective of the TotJOs poltical, public, scientific or religious opinion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi