What makes a Jedi ?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 8 months ago #353804 by
Replied by on topic What makes a Jedi ?
Well, I think that at the core, actions are more important for a Jedi than particular beliefs. But for me personally, Jedi is about both. I can't put away my beliefs, because I used to believe in something really close to the Force as a concept years before I started identifying myself as a Jedi.

In terms of actions, Jedi is "a guardian angel with a sword". I see the path of a Jedi as a way of self-improvement, where the final goal is to become a tolerant, fair and kindhearted person. But unlike Buddism, Christianity and many other religions, Jediism doesn't teach that being kind and patient means that you should tolerate all this s**t you meet in your life and don't fight back. Violence is a bad thing in general, but sometimes, kindness needs to have fists and swords to protect those who can't protect themselves.

BTW, that's why I think that a blunt and rude Jedi is totally okay until they are kind and fair.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #353806 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic What makes a Jedi ?
There was a sparrow that waited too long to fly South for the winter. So when he did start his journey he became very cold and dropped to the ground, too frozen to fly. At this point he knew that he would surely freeze to death.

A cow came by and pooped a huge pile of dung right on top the sparrow. At first the sparrow was offended; but, shortly noticed that the dung was warm and insulated him from the freezing weather. Realizing he was not going to freeze filed his heart with joy and he began to sing.

The area cat heard the sparrow’s song and seeing how sparrow was one of his favorite treats the cat began to search out the source of this song. Not realizing what was going on outside the dung the sparrow continued to sing until the cat dug him out of the dung and ate him.

There are several lessons to be learned from this story.

But, let’s look and see if there are any Jedi in the story. The cow could be a Jedi seeing how he saved the sparrow from freezing. But pooping on people doesn’t sound real “Jedi” unless it was some kind of “tough love.” Of course, the cow could have just been in the right place at the right time. How about the cat? He did get the sparrow out of some sh!t LOL That sounds like a pretty Jedi thing to do! And then ate him… no, probably not the cat. Could the sparrow be the Jedi? The Sparrow knew he had to go south for winter and I’m sure he “meant” to. But, he waited around till it was too late to get done what needed to be done. Of course, he did provide a tasty treat for the cat! I guess, without knowing their beliefs and reasons for doing what each did we can’t know.

I would say that actions without a belief system to back them up, without intent, are just as meaningless as random events. All the intent in the world without the will to follow through is just as meaningless no matter how much good one intends to do. And even selfish actions can cause relief to others from time to time but ultimately serve the one who acted.

Balance is the equilibrium between two or more forces. Equilibrium is what most strive for. Since the universe is in a constant state of change, flux, reaching equilibrium is a practical impossibility. But that does not mean we shouldn’t still strive for it. Life is a journey, not a destination. And balance is a constant effort, not an end goal. It is the struggle that defines who we are, our life’s journey.

What will that struggle tell others about you? That you were someone that meant well but did nothing about it? That good things happened around you even though it was just dumb luck and you had no intentions of making a difference? That you served yourself well even at other’s expense!?!?

I hope that people realize I believe and that I will act on those beliefs. But I will not stress if people don’t. What is ultimately important is that I know. And I continue to believe and do what I know is right.

My actions could be supported by many belief systems. So, when someone asks, I tell them. The creed is a good summery of what they belief system stands for. Without belief, without intent and without action, it is just pretty words on an internet forum.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 8 months ago #353807 by Carlos.Martinez3
I am still blessed by you GrandaddyWess (all one word)

I absolutely love this story.

Seasons

I can’t stress how benifishal the tool and term and concept : “Seasons” can be for modern day Jedi.

They go hand and hand when we think about it - like sabers and cloaks.
Seasons or moments or times or instances - or the moment the flow changes- how ever you wanna call it - ever noticed things just - act like it’s time for something else or ya just know ... it is time.

Seasons

Meditate on that
A modern day Jedi has seasons - don’t they ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
3 years 8 months ago #353839 by Carlos.Martinez3
The more I talk to y’all directly - I see symbols .

Jedi - and symbols seem to go hand in hand sometime. I’ve seen yalls journals and picks -

Modern day Jedi USE symbols - a lot -

Convince me otherwise lol

Modern day Jedi use symbols in their own personal paths.
Which ? Why? How personal do you have your own symbols ? Are they legit or new or even ... self created ?

Asking for a friend .. smiley face

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 7 months ago #354097 by
All Jedi must use some symbols, because Jedi itself is a symbol from a specific mythology. As is the Force. Convince me otherwise. ;-)

As to the original question, I am reminded of a problem I encountered as a child in a nondenominational Christian church. We were taught that only people who believed as we did were "true Christians" and would speak of other denominations as if they did not count. Then I went to a public school, and suddenly no one cared what I thought a Christian was, because to the world it is anyone who claims to follow Christ.

So I turn the question to you. I have followed my own approximation of a Jedi path for years. While I was never part of an Order or a Temple with others who could give me a rank in a group, I have had people who barely knew me identify me as a Jedi and ask if it was intentional that my spirituality aligned so closely. This was without me ever mentioning Star Wars, religion, or having any identifying markers I can think of. Does that not qualify? Many Jedi are solitary practitioners, whether through necessity or preference. Do we draw denominational lines and refuse to recognize that, or simply say they are not a part of this Temple? For myself I have always identified Jedi as a Force-user who strives to follow the Light Side. If in the company of people who would misinterpret "Force-user" I describe the feelings and practice of meditation and empathy for other living things, and also understanding of the interconnectedness of all life on this planet.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #354099 by Carlos.Martinez3
From here

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Clergy/123569-a-modern-day-jeddist-book-of-change-a-shepards-journal#349773

A modern day Jedi acknowledges the Force. Descriptions often come from our own choices. Good and Bad- Light and Dark- Harmony and Unbalance-theses are our own descriptions of what we see actually present and how we are relative to it. Our labels describe but can never fully identify the Force. Not even its name. A Jedi can search and dwell in the ebb and flow, the result is not from the seeker but from the flow- from the Force. A Jedi can dwell there and leave and return- it all depends on them. With or without, the Force is.

Jedi are welcome here.

Feel free to share because that’s all we really do here.

Every hear of the Hero’s Journey ?

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
3 years 7 months ago #354100 by Carlos.Martinez3
From here

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/

The Jedi here are real people that live or lived their lives according to the principles of Jediism, the real Jedi religion or philosophy. Jedi followers, ministers, and leaders embrace Jediism as a real living, breathing religion and sincerely believe in its teachings. Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth. Whether you want to become a Jedi, are a real Jedi looking for additional training or just interested in learning about and discussing The Force, we're here for you.

Modern day Jedi are welcome here and frequent these virtual halls daily.

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 7 months ago #354104 by
So then, is the purpose of the question to inspire meditation? Or perhaps to invite change? You mention the Hero's Journey, and I think perhaps the question is truly meant as a call to action. I notice that in your writing often, and so it makes me wonder if that is truly the purpose in the first place. After all, words have power.

More
3 years 7 months ago #354119 by Carlos.Martinez3
All we do is share.
Some of us learn that way some of us doesn’t. Thank you so much for your comments and sharing with us - and me. It is my privladge and my goal to spark thought and action from inside. To truly known ones self, you have to ask the questions ya need.

When we share we add our own version or interpitation or way or view of what we all share. Some people run from it too.

One of my goals is to be that oasis or that idea of Knight not only in badge or title form but in my actions. The world can find struggle and doubt and blame any where - my hope and that of a few others is we find the breeze or the way or the set or the idea or that “thing” that connects us to what we truly are looking for ... it’s different for each of us so feel free to spark a good journal entry or two or ten and feel free to share.
To answer directly - yes and yes - each entry - question - post - is a call to action or review or at least a request to give it a moment - a extra moment or two - Pastors and clergy tend to do that often... so do most Jedi.

I am glad you are here. Welcome again and May the Force continue to be with you

Build, not tear down.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi