What makes a Jedi ?

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #353779 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic What makes a Jedi ?

J. K. Barger wrote: @Edan

How so?

Being a Jedi Knight at a Temple of the Jedi Order :p

Carlos Martinez wrote: So how DOES it exist now ? How is the balace you have work for you ? That’s the cut to bone I like.. care to share how it works for you ? Actually ? If you like I’ll share the same.

The short version is there is no 'balance' in my world view... life just 'IS'. Balance is an opinion, a state of mind.

Savage Jedi wrote: ...you're acknowledging the Living Force

I'm not sure I can acknowledge something I don't believe in.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Edan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #353780 by Carlos.Martinez3

Edan wrote:

J. K. Barger wrote: @Edan

How so?

Being a Jedi Knight at a Temple of the Jedi Order :p

Carlos Martinez wrote: So how DOES it exist now ? How is the balace you have work for you ? That’s the cut to bone I like.. care to share how it works for you ? Actually ? If you like I’ll share the same.

The short version is there is no 'balance' in my world view... life just 'IS'. Balance is an opinion, a state of mind.

Savage Jedi wrote: ...you're acknowledging the Living Force

I'm not sure I can acknowledge something I don't believe in.

So , being Jedi - acceptance or tolerance ... or vs each other - do We as Jedi accept others Force or do we tolerate them ? Do Modern day Jedi - tolerate or accept others -definition s of the Force when it’s NOT their own ? Can jedi function when they are the only ones with their own definition definitions ? Can multiple definitions exist ? In real life ?
What do we do with them ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 7 months ago #353787 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What makes a Jedi ?
Edan - Easy. Acknowledge it as something(true or not) that people will act on, a very real consequence.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 7 months ago #353788 by
Replied by on topic What makes a Jedi ?
It could be,but not exactly what I meant. I would consider a form of Hedonism or something similar to be somewhat Sithism(don't know about real life Sithism tbh) irl.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 7 months ago #353791 by
Replied by on topic What makes a Jedi ?

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: It’s 2020 and there are Jedi everywhere. Thanks to the World Wide Web we can associate ourselves with pretty much anything we choose.

Today - right now - what constitutes a modern day Jeddi ?

What is a Jedi ?
A modern day Jedi ?

Who are the Jedi?

Right now ?
How do we meet and find them ?

What type of Jedi are there ?

Are there denominations in the Jedi community ?

Pastor Carlos - feel free to answer on or all or in your own journal - place em there too!

NOT asking for a friend.

Where do WE stand in all /// that // or do we ?

Always up for a good chat !!!
Any takers ?

A Jedi is me...a Jedi is you...a Jedi is her...a Jedi is him.A Jedi doesn't have to claim the label to be a Jedi. A Jedi is anyone who strengthens their connection with any aspect of The Force to achieve inner Harmony.

There are many types and Denominations of Jedi, but I don't know all of you yet so I don't know the types/Denominations(because it depends on how individual meaning/perspective/that "i-word" I always forget the spelling of),but I intend to discover all I can.

We meet and find by participating in activities like this.

More
3 years 7 months ago #353793 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What makes a Jedi ?
A long time ago, I aspired to seeing the "Jedi" label have some sort of standardized meaning, something to aspire to.

As the years have come and gone, I have seen so called Jedi "Knights" and "Masters" be susceptible to the same things anyone else is susceptible to, to behave in ways which are predictably human. I've seen back-stabbing, bickering, rage, depression, immaturity... I've also seen nobility, intelligence, wisdom, kindheartedness. It's all been enough to render "Jedi" as a group identity completely pointless. There is so much variation in belief, in values and in practice, that beyond stating that a "Jedi" is anyone who has somehow internalized the label into having importance in their own worldview, there is no more criteria. Attempting to force (no pun intended) standards to fit our own particular worldview is both counterproductive and arrogant.

Even in community settings, where criteria can be set by leaders who set a standard to shoot for, or criteria is decided by majority of senior membership, the criteria is not bound to be inherently "wiser" or somehow "more enlightened". It simply will be a projection of the values and underlying beliefs held by most members (an example of this is the creation of The Jedi Compass).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, rugadd, Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #353795 by Carlos.Martinez3

Manu wrote: A long time ago, I aspired to seeing the "Jedi" label have some sort of standardized meaning, something to aspire to.

As the years have come and gone, I have seen so called Jedi "Knights" and "Masters" be susceptible to the same things anyone else is susceptible to, to behave in ways which are predictably human. I've seen back-stabbing, bickering, rage, depression, immaturity... I've also seen nobility, intelligence, wisdom, kindheartedness. It's all been enough to render "Jedi" as a group identity completely pointless. There is so much variation in belief, in values and in practice, that beyond stating that a "Jedi" is anyone who has somehow internalized the label into having importance in their own worldview, there is no more criteria. Attempting to force (no pun intended) standards to fit our own particular worldview is both counterproductive and arrogant.

Even in community settings, where criteria can be set by leaders who set a standard to shoot for, or criteria is decided by majority of senior membership, the criteria is not bound to be inherently "wiser" or somehow "more enlightened". It simply will be a projection of the values and underlying beliefs held by most members (an example of this is the creation of The Jedi Compass).

So in a way - The Modern day Jedi has their own choices standards and codes n such more than a general type of idea - it’s more personal than general - general is often NOT a Jedi s thing hu?

Edit : the hero’s journey is a great thing. In it we find many things. One is a log of how things go - more or less. Being a modern day Jedi is a lot of self reflecting - one friend told me your not Jedi you’re just human. Yea. Self reflection creates people who are self aware - like the Jedi - we use like to help understand things better - that’s all.

I’ve met countless people under different banners who I’ve felt instantly welcomed and kindred to. Regardless of label or sticker - do the Jedi have that “edge” ? Not really.

Does a modern day Jedi work on themselfs - the inside inside stuff - feelings - balance - known unknown - light dark ? We all do hu?

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
3 years 7 months ago #353796 by Carlos.Martinez3
Dare I say the term Jedi can be used during the basics of self reflective study till you realize you don’t need it any more.

The term Jedi can be a translator as devices as the Hero’s journey to connect with people in ways only real life can - by experience - not Jedi experience - but by actual already existing experiences - we CAN if we like or not. That’s not a hope - modern day Jedi and humans do it all the time. Some don’t even know it. Some do it and call it by something else.

It can be used as an insult

It can be used as a encouragement

It can be used as a ice breaker

Tools can be used many ways by many people.

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
3 years 7 months ago #353797 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What makes a Jedi ?

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: So in a way - The Modern day Jedi has their own choices standards and codes n such more than a general type of idea - it’s more personal than general - general is often NOT a Jedi s thing hu?

I think many who have been drawn to the "Jedi" label have found as its strength the ecclectic nature of it. It is simultaneously its greatest weakeness, as well.

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Edit : the hero’s journey is a great thing. In it we find many things. One is a log of how things go - more or less. Being a modern day Jedi is a lot of self reflecting - one friend told me your not Jedi you’re just human. Yea. Self reflection creates people who are self aware - like the Jedi - we use like to help understand things better - that’s all.

I’ve met countless people under different banners who I’ve felt instantly welcomed and kindred to. Regardless of label or sticker - do the Jedi have that “edge” ? Not really.

Does a modern day Jedi work on themselfs - the inside inside stuff - feelings - balance - known unknown - light dark ? We all do hu?

Doesn't everyone? Human beings are notorious for metacognition. And the Hero's journey is meant to apply to all humans as well.

How bad have we gotten at being human that we need another label for it. :laugh:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #353799 by Carlos.Martinez3
How bad have we gotten at being human that we need another label for it. :laugh:

How far we have gotten would be my parallel with this statement.

How strange it is that we play aliens or journey far far away or mechanical to be able to understand something so close hu??

I think it’s a very human thing. One thing as Jedi we share hu?

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi