Is being Bilingual ok?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4580 by
Replied by on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
Yes Br. Jon, I can agree with the American English thing......it's not English, it's a bastardized form of it, but, regardless, it's not English.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4581 by
Br. Shaun FDC wrote:

Yes Br. Jon, I can agree with the American English thing......it's not English, it's a bastardized form of it, but, regardless, it's not English.

Should we just call it American then?

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4589 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
One difference I have noticed between the American and British English ist that the American write like they speak whereas the British do not. Languages are a reflection of the Culture and mentality. American I would say is a developed form of English.
The Germans are having a hard time because of the strong Anglo/american cultural influence. The German Language has been strongly anglified, so that any \"English\" speaking person would find his/her way around and that Germans are finding it difficult.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4600 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
What has also occured to me is there is in the modern age no pure language. All languages have incorporated bits of others, and this tendency is increasing. Look at the English (American/British): deja vus, Kindergarten, ciao, ok... . Even if we choose to stick to our own, we are becoming multi-lingual whether we want to or not.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4606 by
Jon wrote:

What has also occured to me is there is in the modern age no pure language. All languages have incorporated bits of others, and this tendency is increasing. Look at the English (American/British): deja vus, Kindergarten, ciao, ok... . Even if we choose to stick to our own, we are becoming multi-lingual whether we want to or not.

Ahha! So true!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4640 by
Twsoundsoff wrote:

Br. Shaun FDC wrote:

Should we just call it American then?

Not sure that we could get away with calling it just American, we do still have a basis in English, however, I really am not sure that we should say that we truly speak English, we don't, lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4653 by
I'm all about calling it American, that would be great, but unfortunately then we'd have to call it something stupid like:

American with spanish/ebonic/and french influence Or
Spameronich

Jon, all those languages are still languages of that country, and usually just slightly different versions of the main one.
Like in america, people say they speak spanglish, which is of course a mixture of spanish and english, usually reserved for those who take spanish courses and not do well, or spanish people who only pick up words they can't figure out a spanish equivalent for.

I wonder if we'd still call it French if our colonies would have been started by them instead of England? I know the revolutionary war would have probably been a lot easier to win, lol.

Besides, most \"english\" people put off this my crap don't stink vibe, that I can't stand. I do love the accent though, on chicks. Maybe its pent up subconcience anger toward their \"superiority facade\" that just makes me just really want to teach thier women a thing or two, if you get my drift.

DK

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi