Is being Bilingual ok?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4354 by
Is being Bilingual ok? was created by
Language is a powerful communication tool. Two or three such tools, it might be argued, are better than one. The virtues of knowing more than one language is often touted in the United States, but the idea seldom gets more than lip service. Indeed, Americans seem to use bilingualism as often to burn cultural bridges as to build them.

The English-only movement arose in the 1980s as a backlash against
bilingual education. Activists sought to protect English, even
urging a constitutional amendment to make English America’s
official language, something that hasn’t happened. However,
some 21 states do enforce their own official-English laws.

However, there are a great many virtues to being Bilingual or even
tri-lingual. As many of you bilingual Jedi know (I'm thinking of Bishop Finch and a few others right here), being able to speak and think in more than one language can provide insight and added understanding when considering abstract concepts such as love, compassion, or anger. Being able to consider words in multiple languages can lead to a more unified meaning. And let's not forget that being able to work and think in multiple languages means that you can communicate with more people...which only broadens the scope of ones ability to learn, not only from others; but also from texts and books that may not be in ones native language.

I used to be narrow-minded enough to think that people in the US should only speak English...but I realized that as long as attitudes like that prevail, then those who don't speak english become outcasts...and that's not a very compassionate (dare I say Jedi) attitude to have. The coin however goes both ways...If I am willing to learn Spanish, Italian, French, German, or whatever in order to speak with folks...then they too need to be willing to learn to be able to Speak to me in My native language as well.

The argument is often used that immigrants to America should learn English...and I agree with that. Because Alot of Americas rich history is in the english language and can be best understand from that angle. Those who use this argument will say that if they were to go to Russia (or wherever) they would have to learn Russian to get by...and I applaud this attitude. Being this Open is a wonderful and marvelous step in global compassion and Peace!

In the end it boils down to respectful vulnerability. I respect them and thier culture enough to want to learn about it and how to get along in it; then those from other cultures need to have that same respect as well...and only by being a distinguishing example to those who feel otherwise can we begin to progress the process of change...through this respect and compassion.

YOU are the lock AND the key.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4355 by
Replied by on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
as someone who is poly-lingual i would like you to understnad that i appreciate all other cultures for what they are. But if i'm expected to know another language just to survive in my own city, how does that make me feel? English is our language, so i don't want to have to know another language just to read a street sign in my own country. When i'm in their country, then i should be expected to be able to at least be familiar with their language enough so i can get around. And if i don't, then have someone help me who is. But i should NOT be expected to know something i may not speak, in my own country just to get around.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4361 by
I think that English should be the language of America, not because I think we should keep all other countries out, but because it would be easier for all people who live here and were born here. Majority of people in America, a great majority, speak English and I don’t see why we are expected to learn other languages. I do think that it would be a great boon for the individual to speak more then one language but not a country. Here is an article that was sent to me and I do not think of it as hateful or anything but it states a lot of very interesting facts. It’s a bit long so bare with me, it is very interesting.

We know Dick Lamm as the former Governor of Colorado. In that context his
thoughts are particularly poignant. Last week there was an immigration
overpopulation conference in Washington, DC, filled to capacity by many of
America's finest minds and leaders. A brilliant college professor by the
name of Victor Hansen Davis talked about his latest book, \"Mexifornia,\"
explaining how immigration - both legal and illegal was destroying the
entire state of California. He said it would march across the country until
it destroyed all vestiges of The American Dream.

Moments later, former Colorado Governor Richard D. Lamm stood up and gave a stunning speech on how to destroy America. The audience sat spellbound as he described eight methods for the destruction of the United States. He said, \"If you believe that America is too smug, too self-satisfied, too
rich, then let's destroy America. It is not that hard to do. No nation in
history has survived the ravages of time. Arnold Toynbee observed that all
great civilizations rise and fall and that 'An autopsy of history would show
that all great nations commit suicide.'\"

\"Here is how they do it,\" Lamm said: \"First, to destroy America, turn
America into a bilingual or multi-lingual and bicultural country.\" History
shows that no nation can survive the tension, conflict, and antagonism of
two or more competing languages and cultures. It is a blessing for an
individual to be bilingual; however, it is a curse for a society to be
bilingual. The historical scholar, Seymour Lipset, put it this way: \"The
histories of bilingual and bi-cultural societies that do not assimilate are
histories of turmoil, tension, and tragedy.\" Canada, Belgium, Malaysia, and
Lebanon all face crises of national existence in which minorities press for
autonomy, if not independence. Pakistan and Cyprus have divided. Nigeria suppressed an ethnic rebellion. France faces difficulties with Basques, Bretons, and Corsicans.\".

Lamm went on: Second, to destroy America, \"Invent 'multiculturalism' and
encourage immigrants to maintain their culture. Make it an article of
belief that all cultures are equal. That there are no cultural differences.

Make it an article of faith that the Black and Hispanic dropout rates are
due solely to prejudice and discrimination by the majority. Every other
explanation is out of bounds.

Third, \"We could make the United States an 'Hispanic Quebec' without much
effort. The key is to celebrate diversity rather than unity. As Benjamin
Schwarz said in the Atlantic Monthly recently: \"The apparent success of our
own multiethnic and multicultural experiment might have been achieved not by
tolerance but by hegemony. Without the dominance that once dictated
ethnocentricity and what it meant to be an American, we are left with only
tolerance and pluralism to hold us together.\"

Lamm said, \"I would encourage all immigrants to keep their own language and
culture. I would replace the melting pot metaphor with the salad bowl
metaphor. It is important to ensure that we have various cultural subgroups
living in America enforcing their differences rather than as Americans,
emphasizing their similarities.\"

\"Fourth, I would make our fastest growing demographic group the least
educated. I would add a second underclass, unassimilated, undereducated,
and antagonistic to our population. I would have this second underclass
have a 50% dropout rate from high school.\"

\"My fifth point for destroying America would be to get big foundations and
business to give these efforts lots of money. I would invest in ethnic
identity, and I would establish the cult of 'Victimology.' I would get all
minorities to think that their lack of success was the fault of the
majority. I would start a grievance industry blaming all minority failure
on the majority population.\"

\"My sixth plan for America's downfall would include dual citizenship , and
promote divided loyalties. I would celebrate diversity over unity. I would
stress differences rather than similarities. Diverse people worldwide are
mostly engaged in hating each other - that is, when they are not killing
each other. A diverse, peaceful, or stable society is against most
historical precedent. People undervalue the unity it takes to keep a nation
together. Look at the ancient Greeks. The Greeks believed that they
belonged to the same race; they possessed a common Language and literature; and they worshipped the same gods. All Greece took part in the Olympic games. A common enemy, Persia, threatened their liberty. Yet all these bonds were not strong enough to overcome two factors: local patriotism and geographical conditions that nurtured political divisions. Greece fell.
\"E. Pluribus Unum\" --From many, one. In that historical reality, if we put
the emphasis on the 'pluribus' instead of the 'Unum,' we will balkanize
America as surely as Kosovo.\"

\"Next to last, I would place all subjects off limits; make it taboo to talk
about anything against the cult of 'diversity.' I would find a word similar
to 'heretic' in the 16 th century - that stopped discussion and paralyzed
thinking. Words like 'racist' or 'xenophobe' halt discussion and debate.

Having made America a bilingual/bicultural country, having established
multi-culturism, having the large foundations fund the doctrine of
'Victimology,' I would next make it impossible to enforce our immigration
laws. I would develop a mantra: That because immigration has been good for
America, it must always be good. I would make every individual immigrant
symmetric and ignore the cumulative impact of millions of them.\"

In the last minute of his speech, Governor Lamm wiped his brow. Profound
silence followed. Finally he said,. \"Lastly, I would censor Victor Hanson
Davis's book \"Mexifornia.\" His book is dangerous. It exposes the plan to
destroy America. If you feel America. deserves to be destroyed, don't read
that book.\"

There was no applause. A chilling fear quietly rose like an ominous cloud
above every attendee at the conference . Every American in that room knew
that everything Lamm enumerated was proceeding methodically, quietly,
darkly, yet pervasively across the United States today. Discussion is being
suppressed. Over 100 languages are ripping the foundation of our
educational system and national cohesiveness. Even barbaric cultures that
practice female genital mutilation are growing as we celebrate 'diversity.'
American jobs are vanishing into the Third World as corporations create a
Third World in America - take note of California and other states - to date,
ten million illegal aliens and growing fast. It is reminiscent of George
Orwell's book \"1984.\" In that story, three slogans are engraved in the
Ministry of Truth building: \"War is peace,\" \"Freedom is slavery,\" and
\"Ignorance is strength.\"

Governor Lamm walked back to his seat. It dawned on everyone at the
conference that our nation and the future of this great democracy is deeply
in trouble and worsening fast. If we don't get this immigration monster
stopped within three years, it will rage like a California wildfire and
destroy everything in its path especially The American Dream.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 9 months ago #4369 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Is being Bilingual ok?
Being bi-lingual and indeed multi-lingual is a gift. It serves as a tool of understanding not only for words but also of mentalities. It serves as a door not only as far as job opportunities go but also as far as global awareness is concerned. This does not mean that the start is easy. Generally children who are taught on a multi-lingual basis tend to lag behind the others. In my case, they wanted to send me to a special school for problem children.

Foreign peoples in my experience take this as a gesture of good will, and show great appreciation. Indeed this is a great two way diplomatic asset. On the one side others feel invited and on the other the own culture recieves a voice.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4371 by
I love it when something I say sparks a discussion like this.

As far as I'm concerned I'm with Innocence_Lost on this one, its great for an individual to be bi or even multi-lingual, but to make the country multi-lingual or multi-cultural would be suicide.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4377 by
\"To continue in English, please press 1 now....\"

I think that most of us, at least here in America, have heard that phrase, at least one time in the course of our day. My question to that, being American, is \"Why in Hell should I have to 'press 1 for English'?\"

Bi/multi-lingual, is an awesome thing for an individual, as said in Innocence_Lost's post, not so for a country, it makes it too difficult to get anything accomplished. Going to another country? Yes, learn a bit of the language before you go, at least the common phrases, you can pick up more in-depth stuff later on. Staying home? No real need to have another language in your repertoire, unless you are one whose job, i.e. Translator, demands of you to have another language.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #4383 by Jon
Well if being multi-lingual is suicide then the EU (whose market is the strongest!) is doomed??? Hmmm!!!!

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4400 by
We are talking about a country, not the European Union. Not to mention success of a country or Union, is not solely based on market strength. The European Union (from what I understand, and I'm not european) is strong because each has its own country who has its completely own everything, that combine thier market strengths and weaknesses to make a stronger whole market. Where as if one country screws up their finances, it is cushioned by all the other members. Last I knew ( I guess its possible I could be wrong) the European Union has not combined thier governments into one solid unit and began making policy for all countries involved. Which is the equivalent of what we are talking about here.

Unfortunately my assertation of what the European Union actually is, could easily be wrong, I don't keep up on things I could care less about. However ignorance is no excuse, therefore, with verifiable proof, I may possibly have to change my wording, but the outcome will be the same.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 9 months ago #4401 by
We are talking about a country, not the European Union. Not to mention success of a country or Union, is not solely based on market strength. The European Union (from what I understand, and I'm not european) is strong because each has its own country who has its completely own everything, that combine thier market strengths and weaknesses to make a stronger whole market. Where as if one country screws up their finances, it is cushioned by all the other members. Last I knew ( I guess its possible I could be wrong) the European Union has not combined thier governments into one solid unit and began making policy for all countries involved. Which is the equivalent of what we are talking about here.

Unfortunately my assertation of what the European Union actually is, could easily be wrong, I don't keep up on things I could care less about. However ignorance is no excuse, therefore, with verifiable proof, I may possibly have to change my wording, but the outcome will be the same.

DK

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 9 months ago #4403 by Jon
I thought the issue was about \"multi-lingual\". When we refer to a country or union, this serves only as an illustration. The EU is actually the ultimate authority over human rights. So if someone has a problem say in Germany he/she can refer to the EU. The Laws of one country can be overruled. This is only possible if the French, British, Germans, Spanish, Italians.... can understand each other.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi